DeLorme PN-60 vs Garmin GPSMAP 62st vs ....

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by _vortex_, Jul 27, 2010.

1. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    No, if you create a route on the PC in Topo, it will transfer as is, You can turn off the auto recalculate, or you can make a route in Topo, Copy the route to a track or Draw file and transfer that to display on the GPS. many options.
    and as far as the 60 being slow??? I do not see the routing as very slow, the few times I have used it, it is defiantly faster than my 40 was, the PN20 was SLOOOWWWW.
    I just did a route from Carson City to a little shop in downtown Sacramento and it took 15 seconds to route, so to me that is plenty fast, and looking at the map it is the way I would go if I planned the route my self. I then just did a route from CC going through Ely, stopping in Moab and then to Silverton CO. and it took 30 seconds. so how fast are the new Garmins???
    and for routing off road it works quite well, better than any Garmin I have seen.
    May be road Routing is not it's strong point, they don't advertise it as such, but for offroad, it is pretty darn good.
  2. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The Garmin is SUPPOSED to handle a route that way, but unfortunately thats not the case with many of their units these days.

When I was referring to the speed I was just talking about the screen refresh, i.e. when you zoom in or out. I never said the 60 was slow, it's as fast as any of the Garmins I own/owned. In fact it's faster then a lot of them. Just saying the 62 is faster, it's STUPID fast. Fastest one I've ever seen.
  3. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Robert, you must get special souped up models from Delorme:D I just did a side by side test of the PN60 and the Garmin 78S, I created a route on the GPS's from Sacramento, to Carson City to Ely to Moab to Silverton, CO, selecting each route point by spelling the city name. I them selected go/navigate on each unit. From the time I hit enter until the first turn was displayed the time was Delorme PN 60 - 85 seconds, Garmin 78S -12 seconds. One could argue that 85 seconds is acceptable for such a long route but the problem I have is that this is also the amount of time it takes to recalculate a route if you miss a turn or decide to take a short cut not on the route. With my Garmin units the recalculation is blazingly fast, often times the route is recalculated before I realize I missed a turn. With the Delorme units I often drive 2 or 3 miles, or more, before the recalculation is finished. I find this unacceptable and is the main reason why I feel the routing on the Delorme units is so weak.

One point you make is correct, routing is not a strong point of the Delorme and they don’t claim that it is. I also said that the Delorme is in a class by itself for sophisticated track building and cataloguing as well as the Spot capability. My point in making these posts is not to put down one GPS over another, but trying to get people matched up with the correct GPS. I believe that there are about 2% of the people on these forums who need or would use the track capabilities and mapping prowess of the Delorme GPS’s and only about half of these would spend the time to learn how to actually use the software. To get these capabilities you give up a lot of things that Garmin units have as strengths.

Having owned many Delorme and Garmin GPS’s I just believe that the majority of the people on these forums would be happier with the Garmin units and particularly with the new 78S. That said the new Delorme PN-60 is a huge leap forward in speed and usability from the previous PN models. People really need to ask themselves what they are going to use a GPS for and then go down to REI or find someone who has the model they are looking at and play with it for an extended period of time. I don’t know if they still offer it, but one great service Delorme provided was a 30 day no questions asked, money back guarantee if you bought the GPS from them. I know I used it a few times. Well worth the extra you paid buying directly from them.

Jim in Sacramento
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I agree, I don't like the sound of that. Funny, this was one of my biggest gripes about the 478 compared to my ZUMO 550. The ZUMO was much faster at recalculating routes then the 478. The 478 was so slow in fact as you described I'd already be passed the turn it wanted me to make after the recalc. So not all the Garmins, including the more recent ones are all that fast either. Have to take each one on a model by model basis. Like I said just playing around with the 62S in the store I was really impressed at the screen redraw rate. Too bad I have absolutely no faith that the unit will work correctly.
  5. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    JimC one question? When are we going to get together for a ride?
    My son Malcolm 'AKA Sonymalc' ran into you in Fernley awhile back,
    Robert
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Robert,
    Let me know. Haven't been to Mt Pat or Huntoon this year. Also want to do lower Desert Creek before it gets closed signs. Also would like to see that 78C!
  7. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Malcom and I had a great conversation and I told him you were invited you to our weekend at Soldier Meadows, but I'm sure it was too short of notice for you. What a coincidence running into Sonymalc as I had enjoyed all his posts about his XChallenge. How long have we been talking about getting together for a ride? It's probably about time we do it.

When were were at Soldier Meadows in June some of the ATVr's were telling me about the area and lakes quite a ways north east of the ranch. They said it was some of the more spectaular scenery in the area. Maybe we can see if Jerry could find a few free days in his schedule and join us. Don't know if you are familiar with the area, but it is something I would like to explore.

Jim in Sacramento
  8. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eventually you have to buy what is available and live with it's short comings. If you are looking for a GPS to use on a dual sport bike exploring off road in a harsh environment I think you have a handful of choices. The Delorme PN60, the old Garmin 60/76/Etrex or the new 78S. None of them are perfect you and you have to learn to work with what they offer.

I've depended on GPS's to route me all over God's country since the GPS III was released by Garmin a long long time ago. I am so directionaly challanged that I would never have attempted some of the rides I did without a GPS. ramf is probably the only person I know who may have owned more GPS's than I have in the last 12 years, but the fact of the matter is that if the only GPS I was allowed to own for the rest of my life was my Etrex Legend I would be happy as could be because it will do everything I need a GPS to do to continue my explorations. None of my GPS's are perfect tools but they all do what I really need them to do.

Jim in Sacramento
  9. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Funny you should mention your Legend. I just pulled my old eMap out of storage loaded up with Roads and Rec maps on a 8 Meg card. :D
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

I think I had two of them with R&R until I finally moved up to 76C and that was only to get color. Still only use R&R in 76Cx.

First one was GPS12 not much to talk about, only thing I used on it was way points to try to find trails.
  11. foul plug

foul plug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it sounds like there are some serious GPS users on this thread. SO have any of you used any of the garmin topo maps that are available like the 24K for a specific region? How does it compare to delorme topo?

Gettin ready to pull the trigger on a PN60 or a garmin and only experience I have is with a zumo which is a differnt beast altogether but still the same crappy customer service and weak software.

tnx for any info on the garmin topo maps you guys might have.
  12. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think there are more options for the Garmin units. Garmin recently released new 24k Topos of the entire united states. You can buy them in regions.

I prefer the Garmins 62/78 76/60 for their screen size and readability.

The PN-60 is very visible, just a smaller screen and not quite as visible in direct sun light.

I currently use a 76cx, and have been using a 76cs since 2004. The screen is always visible in any light conditions and the units gets awesome battery life. I can usually do 3 full days of riding on standard Duracells. That is no back lighting of course, but it is not needed in the daylight hours.

Here are some real world examples when I was testing them against each other.

The PN-60 and the 76cx were mounted on the same platform, so there screens were both on the exact same plane. I tried to get shots that made both screens look good.
    Although the Garmin screens were not near as critical to this as the Delorme screen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Todd
  13. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Do you have a screen protector on the PN60 or did you leave the one that ships with it on it?
    I peeled mine off, the photos look kinda like there is one still on it?
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Nope, there's no protector. I know because that unit was the one I returned and he picked up a few days later. I didn't bother to put the protecter back on it when I took it back. :lol3
  15. Yakima

Yakima NC 700

Oddometer:
    OK. Narrowed it down to the PN-60 and the 60Cx.
    Major use: hiking and road riding. Not freeways. Rare dirt road. No back country. I ride an older road bike.
    Some say the DeLorme is fine for following a route; some say it's lousy and slow. Which is it?
    The maps: Garmin will make me lose an arm and a leg, and then I can't ride. that may be the clincher: deLorme's maps.
    So: road riding, route following, little bit of POI (gas stations and camp grounds) --what's the recommendation?
  16. _vortex_

_vortex_ snow snow snow :(

Oddometer:

Still happy with my PN-60. But it didn't get as much use this summer as I would have liked... mostly hiking, and toying with it in the car and on the bike. No real route following.
  17. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Delorme will follow a route just fine if you created the route on the PC program, It does not make it's own routes as good, unless you like dirt roads as it would route you on some roads you might not want, You can make ton's of routes on the PC and load them all to the unit or SD card and open them any time you want. so for that the PN60 works fine, but on it's own it is lacking for it's Routing Prowess.
    Hiking it would be good.
  18. zanardi

zanardi zanardi

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd weigh in... I've used my Delorme PN 60 on a 3 day offroad excursion through the rocky mountains and over the continental divide, no issues at all. very easy to see and use.

I've also used it sea kayaking on the Canadian west coast, and the maps/charts available are right on the money.

Because it has all the features like barometer and altimeter, IMO its perfect for guys like myself do do lots of outdoor pursuits other than adventure motorcycling, ie hiking, back country skiing, mountain biking etc.

I'll be using it to ride across Canada this coming summer as well..

In summary, there's lots of good ones out there, but if you're thinking of this one, trust me, its worth every penny.

safe riding !

zanardi

2009 F800GS
  19. Hap Hazard

Hap Hazard Adv Want a B

Oddometer:
    Lots of good info here. Would appreciate some advice/opinions as to what best suits my needs.

This summer I'm doing the CDR and want to download tracks (maybe routes) used and posted by others. Might be nice to have a couple showing at once as everyone seems to do it a little different. I don't need it to tell me "turn in 5 minutes". I think in most cases the trail or road is pretty obvious. However, if I do get off track, lost. or just exploring, I'd like to stop and use the GPS to find a way back to where I should be.

Or, if I'm just tooling around an area like Big Bend or Durango or Mojave something to show me the available trails. AND to get me back to civilization if needed.

On road while I have an old 2730 I really use it very little. If I'm going from San Antonio to Helena MT I prefer usind MapQuest to determine best route then using maps. I might enter next town in just to get ETA.

It would be nice to be able to find a specific address and sometimes a list of nearby restaurants and motels is handy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks -Hap
  20. DirtNap

DirtNap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a PN-60w to use on the western TAT ride this summer. Last September my riding buddy and I rode the eastern TAT using garmin nuvi gps'es. They worked very well, with a couple of caveats.

1. not waterproof. If you've ever ridden with me, you'd know that I can end a drought by just planning a motorcycle trip.

2. garmin gps don't really understand tracks. They want to convert them to routes, which is OK most of the time. But, you will need to use a number of via points to be sure the calculated route matches the track you wanted to ride.

Having said that, the nuvi worked OK on the eastern TAT.

I bought the PN-60w + spot for the western TAT for several reasons.

1. sending text messages through the spot is a really nice upgrade from the "I'm OK" message my v1 spot sends.

2. garmin wanted me to buy the maps that were on my nuvi so that I could plan a trip on my pc and then upload the routes to the same nuvi. bullsh*t. I already paid for them once and I won't pay for them again. This lock code and that unlock string stuff is crap and I won't buy another garmin product - ever.

3. Delorme understands tracks. It also understands routes, if that's what you need. There was just a firmware update that added some real enhancements to the find function.

4. Delorme maps are very nice, and for $29 a year you can purchase USGS quads and aerial photo maps for your trips.

5. Topo 9 is complicated, more so that mapsource. But, it is many times more capable. I was quite familiar with mapsource and I still struggle with topo9 sometimes. Patience is a virtue that I don't always exhibit.

6. You will learn about layers. Trust me.

7. It's waterproof, which was a big drawback for the nuvi. Well, only when it was raining. Or submerged. You will learn about Tubby Bottom. Trust me.

That's my reasoning, for what it's worth.