Deming New Mexico

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Snake Oiler, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Well long made short.

I've found myself on my first snowbird adventure. After some spent time in Arkansas (few,days of ice and rain) and now a few weeks in Texas. Well even tho the weather has been great compared to back home in western Pennsylvania the problem of little or no,dirt has me on the move. Made reservations for a spot in an RV park just outside of Deming's. I'm fairly certain that there's going to be plenty of diry. Can't wait although the weather probably will not be as nice. Lol.

Now I have a couple questions. From reading it looks like I shouldn't need a permit for my Pennsylvania plated dual sport, I'm I correct? Next is there someplace I can get maps of the area which displays the back roads and trails?

Thanks Jon
  2. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A

Go to Silver City...there should be plenty of maps for the Gila Nat. Forest.
    The Forest Service should have maps also...
    The weather is probably colder in the Gila but you might get lucky and have some warm days

As long as you're on Forest Service road or public land, you don't need a permit for a street legal motorcycle
    wbbnm likes this.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The CDR goes pretty close to there. Separ road is really nice. I believe the Benchmark map book shows a lot of good stuff in the area.
    I don't know if snow is an issue in the mountains down there yet.
    Branchbuster, Uke and Snake Oiler like this.
  4. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Thanks Skinny. Ill definitely check those out. The park I'm staying at is listed as having trails or at least riding, so it's possible they have information also. Just 1 of the questions I forgot to ask. As mentioned I'm all new at this traveling so there's a big learning curve for me. All my previous vacation have been on the harley and motel stays. But loving the rv so far.
  5. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Thanks wbbnm. Sorry but I'm not familiar with the CDR.
  6. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    There are some interesting roads on the west side of the Florida Mtns, southwest of Rockhound State Park.

There is a lot of cross-border activity in this area so if you see folks around who are looking at you closely just smile, wave, and head the opposite direction.

The better stuff, as mentioned, is to the north and up in the mountains so it will be a lot colder.
    Uke and Snake Oiler like this.
  7. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    Continental Divide Route/Ride - lots of info and videos out there
    Uke and Snake Oiler like this.
  8. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get hooked up with some locals and ask around. Head for Columbus and walk across the border (as a group) to the Pink Store for margs and :dukegirl. Granitic has some good input so be careful but don't let it stop you, just be aware. Poncho Villa State Park in Columbus is worth a few hours or even stay there a while.
    Don't expect it to be Arizona warm in Deming as it is high desert but a jacket then long sleeve shirts most likely will be the norm. Lots of :jkamcompared to other places further north and east. It is a PITA as it will be :vardy chilly in the morning but by 9 or 10 off comes the coat :dirtdog, just one more hassle for the day....... Not sure about riding areas but southern NM has lots of remote open BLM land and ranches, And not many other people so be careful if you're by yourself.
    There is a thread for the Las Cruces riders, it is 50 miles from Deming to LC. They might be a good resource. If you head over to Alamogordo, there is weeks of riding around here but it will be up in altitude and some out in the desert to the south also.
    Have fun and enjoy.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  9. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    CDR is the Continental Divide Ride. Here is what you get when you search on it. Tracks are available in several places.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=conti...69419407EB4323A3E2E5994FACE04E&FORM=QBLH&sp=1

We have included this area in several multiday rides throughout the southwest. Here are tracks from one a few years ago and links to others.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/albuquerque-tombstone-grand-canyon-loop.1150793/
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  11. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Thanks folks. You gave me some reading to do in the evenings. Yes I'll be solo unless I hook up with someone around there. The rv park list atv stuff so there might be others around that have some advice or be a tour guide for a old Pennsylvania redneck.

Jon
  12. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes we have lots of dirt here in the Land of Enchantment.
    You could probably get a few local reprobates, derelict, bikers, in the area to show you around. I know some are always looking for an excuse to ride.
    duggram likes this.
  13. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I'm really looking forward to riding something off the dang pavement.

Thanks
  14. Chobro

Chobro spinning the wheel

Oddometer:
  15. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Snake Oiler,

Jeff (Chobro) might have beat me to it ........................

Hopefully you're staying at Temperate Zone RV there outside Deming.
    The owners are Vickie and James (Stav, I think? :scratch maybe that's just Vics name?)
    They've lived there for several years now and are both riders.
    They should be able to set you up with plenty of places to kick up some dust.

Good luck!
    RD
    Blakebird, wbbnm and Snake Oiler like this.
  16. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:

Hey RD. That's great news. Actually I was thinking about another park. But I'll call them tomorrow. Be awesome to have some insight into the area. This is my first trip out west on the dual sport . Been all over the place on the harley over the past 35 years tho.
  17. racerron

racerron Liv It

Oddometer:
    @Snake Oiler

What's your long term plan this trip?
    We're going to be in the s.east till Feb., Tucson Mar/Apr. Moab in May.
    Would be good to hookup.
  18. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    @racerron

Well really not plans are set in stone. Other than spending time in NM for a few weeks. If the weather holds out it would be awesome to watch the sky for Santa in the desert. And possibly even see him on the anniversary of the birth of our Savior.

I'll keep you posted on after enjoying my time there. Could just come that way.
    mntdawg, Uke and racerron like this.
  19. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Deming all winter and have been going there since 2004 as a snowbird. Feel free to PM me. All kinds of riding there on BLM land and also in SE AZ which is not far away. It is in the 60s there in Jan. 70s in Feb. Not bad compared to MI where I live! Perfect riding temp actually. The whole area is my backyard. And it is very cheap to stay around there.
    dirtydoug, Snake Oiler and racerron like this.
  20. racerron

racerron Liv It

Oddometer:
    Good to know....
    My first year being a snowbird, AZ looked to be a good place to start.
    70* sounds a hole lot better then 10* in upstate NY.
    Snake Oiler likes this.