Deming New Mexico

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Snake Oiler, Nov 28, 2018.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning :D

I'm often on the road @ 4am for work somewhere else in the state, I've seen some awesome sunrise scenes in NM.
    ridenm, Snake Oiler and Gillus like this.
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Hey Freak. Oh I'm sure. With the clear skys and awesome back drops here in NM. Can't help but see them. Although I get some back home in western Pennsylvania. Fog lifting over the lake I like on with the Eagles soaringover the tree tops. There's a couple owls here where I'm at the adds to the beauty of the morning air . Peaceful start to the day . No sound of the town or highway out in the desert where I'm staying. Well worth the 18 miles to shop for supplies
    Gillus, CaptCapsize and NMTrailboss like this.
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    One good local ride would be to go up to Ft Cummings. It is an old Butterfield Stage stop. It is about 15 miles almost due north of Deming. There are some fun county dirt roads around there. There are a few ruins still there.

[​IMG]
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  5. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad the Temperate Zone RV Park is working out for you! :thumb

Give us an update on James and Vickie and their RV Park when you get a chance.
    (I've never been there, but I've met them a few times at NM gatherings. Transplants from the Seattle area as I remember? :scratch)

Happy riding S.O.! BTW, very nice sticker on your bike cockpit!

RD
    Snake Oiler and Chobro like this.
  6. Chobro

Chobro spinning the wheel

Oddometer:
    I bought a Cagiva Gran Canyon from James back in '12. Cool people, they had a couple GSPDs in the shed.
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  7. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    James sold all his bikes , but Vicky still has the GSPD in the shed. She said that it's been awhile since she's rode. It's a shame but I'm guessing cause James doesn't ride at this time.

They both are really nice folks and seems to take very good care of the park. It's a smaller place, but the sites are some of the largest I've seen. Nice and level too. The club house and shower room are tidy. I haven't used them but I did check them out. Also they have a laundry room with newer washers and dryers. As I said it's quite, but there isn't many here. Counting myself there's 5 trailers. And they,are rock hounds so mostly not here as I'm not. The prices are very good too, 75/week, 185/month plus electric. If I had to rate it after just a week and a half ,I'd give it a 8 or 9. Simply cause I haven't used all the facilities. I'd definitely recommend it
    Chobro, Gillus and ROAD DAMAGE like this.
  8. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I,was heading to fort Cummings yesterday but got side tracked up,at Greenleaf mine area. from there I rode the Butterfield Trail until I came to a locked gate. Back track to 008 road back towards Deming got gas and came home to the trailer.
  9. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Hey @ROAD DAMAGE like that stick? Hmm I used it cover up a hole after I moved stuff on the dash. I might need more bandages the way I've been riding this year
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  10. SquatBirdJunior

SquatBirdJunior Special Snowflake

Oddometer:
    Under the Earths Sun..........................Now
    If you are going to Ft. Cummings, you might as will go to Frying Pan Canyon if you like petroglyphs. I need to go to Pony hill. It is just south of Ft. Cummings.
    Here is a pic of my bike from a couple years ago at the base of the area you hike up to the caves and petroglyphs.
    new phonepics 076.jpg
  11. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    To tell you the truth. I've never seen any, but seems like something I might like to check out. Only problem is that I've got a problem with walking distance. How much of a climb up to the area where the carvings are from where I can park?
  12. SquatBirdJunior

SquatBirdJunior Special Snowflake

Oddometer:
    Under the Earths Sun..........................Now
    From the pic above, they are at the top/center, in the bigger rocks. It's pretty easy slope, just take the right route. Just zig zag going up. It's not that steep. As you go up, there are flat slabs with holes: mortar. Then once you get to the bigger rocks, there are man made caves.
    new phonepics 061.jpg new phonepics 064.jpg new phonepics 074.jpg new phonepics 065.jpg
    If you google Frying pan Canyon, you can get the history and better images. If you continue West, you can hit the next Butterfield stop, where there is a water year around, but then you will hit more locked gates. I had to go south by the hidden RV park. to get to hyw 180.

Edit: One of the best rides I had was the NMBDR just north of 60/Quemado, where a mountain lion ran across the dirt road and up to her rocky home. I didn't even have time to take out the camera, It was gone. My only siting of a mountain lion ever.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  13. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Yeah that's where had to backtrack East to road marked 008 which ran my past hidden valley rv
  14. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Some years ago another rider and I worked on Vicky's bike at the Quincy, CA rally. She so appreciated it that she cooked us up some bacon wrapped jalapeños. They were awesome. Tell Vicky Dave says hi, but she probably won't remember.
  15. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:

I will do. Remember she's a woman and from my experience most of them have a better memory the elephants. Lol
  16. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Don't laugh too hard

17. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    OOOOOUUUUUUCH...………..
    Hope you don't have too many desert racing stripes from that incident.
  18. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    All is fine. But I'd suggest not to dance with those Mesquite . They definitely take the lead
  19. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Coming down from Colorado to Arizona I found I had to take a different approach when riding in the desert. In Colorado you can cut corners by brushing the vegetation. In Arizona the vegetation fights back so you have to give it a wide berth. :lol3 The cactus spines will go right through your armor. :yikes
    sieg, Snake Oiler and Sledred like this.
  20. Branchbuster

Branchbuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler, I told you early on to stay away from those Mesquites. They are like running into a barbed wire fence back at home!
    Snake Oiler likes this.