Dempster DL650 2019 planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by mudtrack, Mar 3, 2018.

1. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No time to go this year until I retire from my job in 2019 at age 66. I will be riding a 2015 V-Strom 650 heading North from the Seattle area in June 2019, hoping to ride to Tuktoyaktuk and back. I would like to be able to do the entire trip on one set of tires if possible. I am considering Mitas EO7 Dakars, K60, or the Motoz Tractionator GPS.
    Sure, this is 15 months from now, but need to wait until I am fully vested in my company retirement plan, and then will collect that as well as my Social Security.
    Long ago back in 1978 I did a similar trip from Minnesota to Alaska with my wife on bicycles. She will stay home this time, but with her blessings I intend to follow some of our old tracks to the North and to make some new tracks of my own. She and I may meet up in Skagway for a nice ferry boat tour of South East Alaska before I ride back to Seattle again.
    Any suggestions on tires, or new 2 person tents, or other words of wisdom would be appreciated.
  2. Migolito

Migolito Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ill be heading to Tuk as well in June ( for lunch) on a CB500x w E07 rear and TKC80 front. My total miles will be 9000 ish. Im guessing ill need to replace a tire er 2 along the way.
    Tent; im taking my Copper Spur ul 2 p tent. iF i was gonna buy a tent for this trip, i would get the same tent/ or a hubba with the garage vestibule. Keep an i and ill start a thread with my gear/ mods and why im absolutely certain i i made the right decisions before i actually use the gear. After the ride ill do the review on why i was wrong...
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mudtrack
    The e07 have been great for my trips to the north, the rear lasted 12000km and the front 15,000km, f650gs.
    If you are looking for a great tent look up Tarp tent by Henry shires I have the scarp 2 and have used it for over 150 nights. sewn in Washington, a California company.
  4. Busy BoB

Busy BoB Dress for the slide not the ride.

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    My first look around on ADVRIDER and I find this.....amazing!
    I am also planning a run up to Tuk next year, and also on my ever so trusty 2015 DL650. My last road trip (back in 2106) totalled 23,000 kms. I managed to squeeze 13,000km on my rear K60, while the front still had 3-4km left in it. Mind you, a lot of this was riding fully loaded (150lbs of gear) and in high summer temps (Utah, Wyoming). Nothing but good to say about the Scouts, except the cost. The second portion of my trip I did on Continental TKC 70s. They were smoother riding, but did not match the longevity of the Heidenaus. The Trans Labrador Highway gravel took a toll too. I would probably use K60s to get me close to the Dempster, then switch TKC 80s (or similar) for the rougher part of the trip, and keep the Scouts as spares.
    As for tents, I use the Redverz Atacama. Lots of space, and can even park my ride inside!? The extra space is great for storing gear etc. However, it is a bit bulkier (heavier) than a standard 2 man set-up.
    Would you consider having another soon-to-be retired biker (62) as a wing man for part of the journey? I hail from Montreal (Quebec).
    I hope you get to go, and safe travels.
    P.S. A snippet of the Trans Lab......
    'Bob', GSAnderson and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  5. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    HI

Can't help with tires

But can with tents.

Two ways to go

Big roomy tent lots of comfort at the cost of pack weight and volume .

Or

Light compact tent at the cost of less room/comfort ease of entry/exit.

Personally as I ride a ktm 350 weight/volume are important to me. I just sleep in it ... if the weather is going to be bad ... I either do not go or retreat to a hotel.

The tents copper spur 2 from Big Agnus and the Quaterdome 2 from REI are both excellent tents in this category both are in 3lbs range as I recall.

I use the copper spur 1 ... a one person tent ....works good for me

Hope that helps

Scott
  6. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For a tent, I decided on a MSR Elixir 2. Not as much mesh as the Big Agnes Copper Spur or the MSR Hubba Hubba NX, but that is OK. I also purchased a MSR Gear Shed attachment that I have the option to use or not. I got a really good price on the package, so I am happy.

As to tires, I really am hoping to make the whole trip Seattle to Tuk and back to Seattle on one set of tires. Total round trip mileage will be about 5000 miles. I am thinking of the Mitas E07 Dakar rear and the TKC80 front.

Departure planned for July 12, 2019, the day after I am vested in my company retirement plan. Social Security, Company Retirement plan, and a motorcycle trip! I will document as much as possible with my drone, of course. A Mavic Air.

Even though I plan on departing solo from my house, I plan to make motorcycle friends along the way and share parts of the trip with others. Busy Bob, perhaps we will indeed meet up somewhere along the way. When my wife and I traveled to Alaska by 10-speed bicycles, we would frequently make new friends or acquaintances with other travelers and share part of the trip.
    Busy BoB likes this.
  7. Busy BoB

Busy BoB Dress for the slide not the ride.

Oddometer:
    Hey! Mudtrack,
    I have heard that June is the drier month, and on the Dempster that can mean the difference between success and failure. I understand your position, however, and wish you well.
    The round trip distance for me makes it virtually impossible to do on one set of tires. Also, having the freshest tires for the dempster seems prudent.
    Well I may catch you on the way down. I’ll keep an eye out for the other DL-650....lol
    All the best!
    Branchbuster likes this.
  8. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My trip is still a year from now, but some things are best with long term planning.
    Another question I would like to post to all here: Is there a reliably waterproof case for electronic / photo gear?
    I was a processional photographer for about 30 years and now I have a certification from the FAA as a drone pilot. I want to carry some drone gear along as well as a DSLR inside a waterproof case. Any ideas or suggestions?
  9. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Well I went to Inuvik i 2015 and Tuk in 2018 sounds interesting.

Everything on the Dempster Highway is down to the weather - not just on the day but over the season. On a good year/week/day a Harley could do it, on a bad year/week/day a Dakar rider on the latest state of the art KTM is going to fail. Plan accordingly.

FWIW, here's my blog from 2015. I was lucky but I also planned for most eventualities.

https://dualsportblog.wordpress.com/2015-dust-to-dawson-inuvik/

I rode on a new set of Mitas E07 Dakars. Awesome tires IMHO.
  10. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am still planning my July 2019 departure from Seattle heading North to the Dempster and hopefully all the way to Tuk... Again, my departure is determined by my retirement date. I WISH I could make it a month earlier to hook up with the 2019 D2D, but retirement is retirement.
    Anyway, I am just chomping at the bit to take on the challenge.
    For me, the great thing that waiting until my full retirement, I will not be constrained by schedule. I will be able to wait out bad weather because I will have no job to go home to. A loving wife, of course, but we will meet up in Skagway when I get there.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  11. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Did PA to AK this summer.
    Tires-Motoz Tractionater GPS....9000 miles on them so far and lots left.
    Waterproof cases-Pelican!!!
    Good luck and Congrats on getting close to hanging it up!!!
  12. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also rode to Inuvik in June, 2015. I rode to Inuvik first and then stopped at the D2D on the return ride.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/back-to-the-arctic-circle-inuvik.1086309/

I'm hoping to ride to Tuk in 2019 and will be using a 2018 DL650.

RockyDS likes this.
  13. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Rollin' likes this.
  14. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I'm hoping I can go back again and I'm looking forward to using a lighter bike this time.
    RockyDS likes this.
  15. Mavilago

Mavilago n00b

Oddometer:
    to the OP,

I did San Francisco to Tuktoyatuk on Continental TKC 80s this last summer and still had tread left when i got home. Not much though, we burned up half our tread just getting to Dawson City. Next year we are going to ride road tires to Dawson and have knobbies shipped from Toronto and remount there so our trip up to Deadhorse will be on good tread.

I was on a 2015 BMW 800GS fully loaded with crap. the bike and I came in at 900 pounds +/- 50 for the crummy ag scale we used near Portland.
  16. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya'll do know folks ride up to deadhorse all the time on harley's and gold wings with street tires :lol3....just messing wit ya...have a good ride.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  17. lneyando

lneyando n00b

Oddometer:
    give me a shout in Inuvik or if you need assistance .

www.arcticmoto.ca
  18. lneyando

lneyando n00b

Oddometer:
  19. lneyando

lneyando n00b

Oddometer:
    can I introduce myself , im not to familiar with this sight in the way of navigation ,my name is Lawrence and the owner /operatorat Arctic Motorcycle Adventures is a new Tour company based out of Inuvik NT, Canada and we provide guided tours to the Arctic Ocean , you can actually ride right to the ocean on the new highway and its looking to be a better road next year as well , we also offer guide services if you bring your own bike and custom rides also , please have a look at what we offer and give us a shout , we are the support in the Arctic !

www.arcticmoto.ca
    Gordon, 'Bob', Maggot12 and 3 others like this.
  20. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I rode from Charleston SC to D2D, and then to Maine. With detours, 11,109 miles on the same Mitas EO7,s. They were on my 2014 Vstrom 650. I think the rear would have been good for another 1000. The front looked slightly worn. My riding buddy hated the front. I did not try to push it, but on his advice would probably pick a different front next time, staying with the Mitas for the rear.
    Tewster2 and Rollin' like this.