Dempster DL650 2019 planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by mudtrack, Mar 3, 2018.

1. bctrooper

bctrooper Been here a while

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to set up dates to head from Vancouver to tuk in 2019 if it works out I'd love to meet some of you guys along the way, I'm riding a brand new versys 300, haven't decided yet on tire choice but I'm all ears for suggestions. I really like the looks of the shinko 804/805
  2. Mikeb99

Mikeb99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When are your dates? I was there on july 4th and can't wait to go back in 2019. Did the ride solo and would like to tag along with someone this time
  3. bctrooper

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty open, any time from mid June to early August so far, when are you thinking?
  4. Mikeb99

Mikeb99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pretty flexible. Any time between mid june till end of aug. How long you planning on being on the road?
  5. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I now depart from Seattle heading for Tuk July 11 or 12 after I retire from my current job. My schedule has two definites. One is that I hope to meet up with my wife in Skagway for a few days for a Alaska ferry tour, after which she would ferry or fly back to Seattle and I would ride back to Seattle on my motorcycle. The other time constraint now is that I need to be back for my daughter's wedding in late August. She thankfully is delaying her wedding for my trip schedule. This gives me about 40 days for my trip.

As to tires, I have a rear Motoz Tractionator GPS ready to be mounted prior to departure. I will either keep my current Shinko 804 in front or mount a similar tire for fresh front rubber, perhaps the TKC80.
  6. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @mudtrack The Alaska Ferry 2019 summer schedule was posted online today
  7. bctrooper

Oddometer:
    I'm really easy going, would like to make good time until I reach close to the Yukon border but then I'm totally open to suggestions as long as it ends with making it to tuk.
  8. Mikeb99

Mikeb99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made it to Watson Lake from Nanaimo in 2 days this summer, I don't really plan much. Just go with the flow.
  9. Mikeb99

Mikeb99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How many days are you going to have?
  10. bctrooper

Oddometer:
    That's making some great time, I'll have about two weeks, you're in Nanaimo? I have a really close friend in Parksville and am over there often. We should meet up and discuss plans some time soon.
  11. Mikeb99

Mikeb99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. Let me know next time your over here and we can have chat. Went from Dawson to Tuk and back to Inuvik in 18hrs this year. Wouldn't mind taking a little more time next trip to enjoy the scenery
    bctrooper likes this.
  12. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depending on weather, I am interested in camping along the way on the Dempster. Sure, indoor accommodations will be sought after when I am cold and exhausted. However if the spirit moves me I might pitch my tent and enjoy the scenery rather than buzz through. Perhaps I will stay put in one spot until the mud dries. Perhaps I might like the look of a spot and want to spend a night. I don't know until I get there.

For those of you who have done the trip, do you know anything about the following campgrounds? (Miles provided by The Milepost https://www.themilepost.com/highways/dempster-highway/ )
    • Mile 44.5 Tombstone Mountain Yukon government campground; 48 campsites.
    • Mile 120.4 Engineer Creek Yukon government campground; 15 campsites.
    • Mile 229.3 EAGLE PLAINS. Eagle Plains Hotel; camping.
    • Mile 277 Rock River Yukon government campground; 20 campsites.
    • Mile 336 Nitainlaii Territorial Park Interpretive Centre and Campground.
    • Mile 434.5 Gwich’in Territorial Campground; 15 campsites.
    • Mile 453.8 Jak Territorial Park Campground; 36 campsites.
    • Mile 457 (approximately) INUVIK town Camping at Happy Valley Territorial Park
    • Mile ? ? is there any desirable camping between Inuvik and Tuk ? Arctic Ocean tent camping?
    Gordon likes this.
  13. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Tombstone is really nice but no overflow camping if it's full - and it's not far up the Dempster so it can be popular. Awesome scenery. There are some walk in camp sites and when I was there the ranger said it was okay to ride my bike in if I thought I could make it. I did, so that was handy as all the regular sites were occupied by RVs.

Rock River is the usual Yukon territorial style wilderness campground. It's in the valley by the river so it can be damp if not outright wet and if it's a bad year for mosquitoes, they'll be a nuisance. I don't think the water there was potable. There is a covered eating area and I've known folk camp inside there to get away from the insects. There are likely to be bears around.

Nitainlaii is off grid but has a washroom building that is powered by a generator. It can be hit and miss if the generator fires up and even if the water flows but the manager is on site during the day and will get things fixed up. I've camped there three times now and it's okay.

I haven't camped at any of the others.
  14. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Other than Happy Valley and Eagle plains , I camped at all of the above

Jak had more piss jugs strewn around the campground than Sunnyvale Trailer Park

Stayed a couple of days at Gwich'in waiting out the rain , there are some hidden sites that have platforms with great views

The best site was camping beside the Artic Ocean in TuK at the end of the spit
  15. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RockyDS, and knight, this is the kind of stuff I like to read about. I know my success or failure will be partly due to the mud conditions between Dawson and Tuk, but I hope to make a great coping strategy out of whatever comes my way. I am in this to be involved in this, not just to get to a destination and back. Sure, I want to make it back to my daughter's wedding in Seattle on time, but each trip I take I want to engage as if it is the last adventure to come my way.
    - - - Until my next one....
  16. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    @lneyando - I just checked out your web site and it looks great. I've already been up to Inuvik a couple of times now but the idea of flying in and completing the ride to Tuk is quite appealing. Maybe in 2020.

Good luck with your venture!
  17. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know many of us will be heading up the Dempster in 2019. I will be traveling solo and will be happy to meet up with anyone along the way.
  18. Mikeb99

Mikeb99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe see ya on the way mudtrack. Heading back up there around the same time.
  19. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My new target departure date from the Seattle area heading toward Tuk is July 1.
    Update on my retirement date. I had thought it was July 11, but I can retire May 31, 2019. That would leave me plenty of time for last minute planning, bike mods and maintenance, and a bunch of things I promised my wife I would do.
  20. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My DL is ready to go. Hoping to head north in mid-June.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bobw, greenmtndave, Gordon and 2 others like this.