Dempster DL650 2019 planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by mudtrack, Mar 3, 2018.

1. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Dempster ready? On those tires?

Just asking - I'm sure you have a cunning plan.
  2. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can assure you, @Rollin has been up and down the Dempster Hwy more times than most riders on these forums, with bikes like his Victory, and his CTX1300.
    This picture of his bike was taken before he installs his Dual-sport tires, and the skid plate. He knows better than to tackle the Dempster Hwy without a skid plate to protect that oil filter sticking out the front of his '18 Wee-3.
    bobw, Gordon, Bigbob1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The plan is a tire change in Whitehorse.
    RockyDS, Bigbob1 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  4. RockyDS

Oddometer:
    Like I said, I was sure there was a plan. It was just a tad misleading to imply the bike was ready for the Dempster as shown in the photo. In the right conditions and with the right rider those tires would get you there but I didn't and wouldn't do it myself, so I asked the question.

[​IMG]

YMMV

It seems you took my comment a little too seriously. :hmmmmm
  5. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    I would also recommend fork gators.
    Hi-De-Ho, knight and RockyDS like this.
  6. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    If my DL needs tires before I leave on the trip I will install more aggressive at that time. I wouldn't install trip tires 3 months before the ride.
    bobw, Bigbob1 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  7. RockyDS

Oddometer:
    Totally understandable. If you'd said "Other than tires, my DL is ready ..." I wouldn't have asked about it. I don't know why my simple question is so contentious, especially when I said up front that I was sure you had a plan.
  8. Hi-De-Ho

Oddometer:

Your "simple" question was not so contentious. What has made the issue contentious is your need to defend your own question.

If you look back at your initial question, there was no smiling face after the question, no emoticon to show us that it was meant in jest.

Therefore, and ergo, my reply to your simple question was to state...I can assure you that @Rollin' will have his bike fully prepped and ready to take on the Dempster Hwy, before he hits the Dempster Hwy, because he has ridden it many times in the past. That was all there was to it.

You may not know WHO @Rollin' is, like I do, but he is a very accomplished rider, and has taken typical street touring bikes and converted them into serious Adventure bikes to tackle roads like the Haul Rd up to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay, and the Dempster Hwy up to Inuvik. Bikes that the rest of us would shake our heads at, yet he is an accomplished rider to the degree that the "adventure" part of it is converting these bikes to do things that the steroe-typical "adventure" rider would want to use a R12Gs or a Super Tenere' for.

That picture you posted of the Super Tenere', with the Mitas e-07 tires on it, is that your bike? And are those tires the Dakar version of the Mitas e-07 ?
    Last Summer when I took my '17 Wee-3 XT up the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik, and then "attempted" to make it to Tuk.....I was on Mitas e-07 Dakar tires, and they proved to be the perfect tire for that road.

BTW, on that date, June 19, 2018....NO motorcycles made it into Tuktoyaktuk. 8 bikes tried, and 8 bikes failed. The road surface was SO muddy, that the top 6 inches of greasy clay mud mixed with Calcium Chloride stopped all bikes, and almost all 4 wheeled vehicles. The next day, it was as dry as a bone and rock solid.
    Gordon and Rollin' like this.
  9. RockyDS

Oddometer:
    ^ I agree in hindsight that an emoticon would have helped, but I certainly did not intent to impugn anyone's abilities, skill set or whatever. I don't agree that I made things contentious far from it as I think you kicked it off with your 'I can assure you' comment which was unnecessarily supercilious. You simply misunderstood my motive and that is always a risk in an online discussion. You likely disagree, but in that case we might have to agree to disagree.

I can see that with your personal knowledge of Rollin', you might question the motive of my post but I don't know the guy, otherwise I surely wouldn't have posted my question at all??

If I'm guilty of defending my post, then you are also guilty of the same with respect to your responses. A touch of the pot calling the kettle black. :-)

But I'm saying this in all good humour. I'm not trying to cause any offence at all and quite honestly never was. On the contrary I'm trying to be as conciliatory as is reasonable.

Yes, that is my Super Tenere with Mitas E-07's the rear was a Dakar. The photo was taken on the Dempster. I rode to Inuvik after D2D in 2015. Conditions were probably near perfect that year - certainly a high % of the riders attempting to go all the way to Inuvik would have made it. I will go back possibly next year to ride to Tuk but I have other plans for this summer.

For all I know Rollin' could have replied;

I am a very accomplished rider, and have taken typical street touring bikes and converted them into serious Adventure bikes to tackle roads like the Haul Rd up to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay, and the Dempster Hwy up to Inuvik, so those tires will be perfectly adequate for my trip.

And that would have been okay by me.

Let's all just be friends, shall we?? :-) :-)
    Bigbob1 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  10. Hi-De-Ho

Oddometer:
    We shall be friends. :beer

It would be unlike @Rollin' to toot his own horn. He is a humble character.....albeit.....a character....he is :-)
  11. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Entertaining reading.... I love watching videos of folks riding over the Himalyas on 350 Bullets, through the sand in Africa on 125's, along dirt tracks and mud in Mongolia on 150cc Chinese mopeds, and up and down the Dalton on scooters, Wings, and Harleys....on street tires....They don't have a clue that what they are doing is impossible :lol3
    Baccadon, Migolito, Cal and 1 other person like this.
  12. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    No one has ever called my street touring bike "typical" before. :D

[​IMG]
    bobw, Baccadon, Gordon and 3 others like this.
  13. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Dat's wat Im takin about :thumb:thumb
    Baccadon, Bigbob1 and Rollin' like this.
  14. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    I used my Victory Vision for the trip to Deadhorse, AK in 2012 and the ride to Inuvik in 2015. On both of those rides I used a Dunlop Winter Sport run flat snow tire on the rear. I used the stock Dunlop E3 on the front for the Deadhorse ride and it was the weak link, I had mostly dry conditions on the Dalton Highway but had rain on the return ride from Deadhorse and rutted mud in construction areas. There were more than a few "moments" but the rear tire always kept the bike moving. I replaced the front tire after the trip but the rear tire lasted the rest of the year and it had over 24,000 miles on it when I replaced it.
    I used a Winter Sport snow tire again on the ride to Inuvik but used a Shinko 700 Series rear dual sport tire on the front. The reason for using a car tire on the rear and a rear tire on the front is there weren't many tire options for the Vision but this combination worked well.
    There are a lot of tire options for the DL but of course none of them will last 25,000 miles! :-) This trip will be about 8,600 miles.
    My two options are to start to the trip with aggressive tires and hope they are still good enough to make the trip to Tuk and back or plan a tire change in Whitehorse. I never had to think about a tire change before, I knew the tires would last the full trip.

I also have a 40L GIVI waterproof seat bag for the ride, the bag will have tools, tire repair equipment, spare gasoline, a first aid kit and anything else that will fit. Also have Shock Sox seal protectors for the front fork that I will install just before the ride and a Shock Tube seal protector that has already been installed on the rear shock.
    Other protection - a Rad Guard radiator guard, Ravetech headlight guard, front fender extender, FLO thick-walled aluminum reusable oil filter and a Cyclops TPMS.

Can't wait to go!
    Gordon, RockyDS and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  15. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My plan is for the entire trip from Seattle to Tuk and back (I hope) to use Motoz Tractionator GPS in the rear and TKC80 in the front.
    I already have the tires ready to mount.
    Don't forget the fact that I will be newly retired and have all the time in the world to wait out bad weather and let the road dry out.
    I will have a little meet-up planned with my wife in Skagway for a little marital stuff taking the ferry to Sitka. She will fly to Juneau and ferry to Skagway for our "re-acquaintance". We have reservations for a place to stay in Sitka. She will ferry back to Seattle and I will ferry to Skagway to continue my road trip.
    Other than that I have all the time in the world
    Hi-De-Ho, RockyDS and Bigbob1 like this.
  16. Migolito

Migolito Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last year I rode from SCal to Dawson City then back on a E07 rear and a TKC80 front. No issues; they did just fine on slab, rain and a little gravel. Having said that I'd do the same trip, again, on a set of Pilot Road 4 tires just to avoid the bit of vibration that ALL more DS or dirt tires have in comparison. I'd switch out in WH or Dawson for dirt roads and switch back when I'm heading home. Last year I had a TKC80 waiting for me (i didn't need it) in Dawson City compliments of Fortnine-very cheap compared to WH. However, you live a lot closer than I do and your tire choice is perfect. I'm looking forward to your trip posts. Congrats of retirement!!

Might be following your lead on flying in the boss. I might do the Canadian Maritimes this summer and fly the wife in.
  17. Rande Huseby

Rande Huseby n00b

Oddometer:
    Way too much worry about what tires for this trip. In 1986 I was trucking on the Dempster and it had only been open for 7 or 8 years then and some parts were still under construction. One stretch south of Eagle Plains was so bad most vehicles had to be pulled through by Cat dozers working there and that included all cars and pick-ups. I trucked steady on the piece from Eagle Plains to Inuvik and made one round trip a day for 105 consecutive days. I have a picture of a Yamaha Venture Royale I took at Eagle Plains that summer. The rider had to take the front fender off so the mud buildup didn't stop his front tire. He'd been transferred to work at the Inuvik airport and while his employer moved all his other possessions he wanted to ride his bike there. Said it was almost a mistake but was true adventure riding on a touring bike with street tires. As a consequence, I any think discussion about tires is simply academic. Have been to Inuvik twice on a 1987 Transalp shod with Bridgestone Trail wings and had good luck with them. I think just go with whatever you like. Today I would wait in Dawson City watching the weather forecast and go when there is a decent weather window. After-all it's a trip to enjoy - not an endurance contest to show you got big ones. You've already shown your bravado simply by taking a trip this long. I encourage anyone to go as it is a really great ride but you prove nothing by having to be first or fastest here.
    Gordon, RockyDS and Bigbob1 like this.
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep too many folks worrying about tires....:lol3....:hide
  19. RockyDS

Oddometer:
    @Rande Huseby

[​IMG]
    Gordon likes this.
  20. cday

cday I want to ride my [motor]cycle

Oddometer:
    Hey! Also doing some preliminary planning for a Van - Tuk trip in this summer. I'm taking July off for this trip + a little peek into Alaska and then ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy for a little island & Sunshine Coast riding to finish off. Looking to do most of this solo, but would feel more comfortable riding with folks from Dawson to Tuk (return). Keen to hear how your's and @Mikeb99 's plans take shape :)