Dempster DL650 2019 planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by mudtrack, Mar 3, 2018.

1. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    +100

But.....egos need fed.
  2. bctrooper

bctrooper Been here a while

Oddometer:
    Nothing has been set in stone yet and I won't be able to firm up dates until a couple weeks before I go but if it works out I'd love to travel that section with someone too
  3. cday

cday I want to ride my [motor]cycle

Oddometer:
    Sure, sounds good. I'll check back. Also, if you're in Van I'd be open to meeting up as well. If there is a private chat option, feel free to msg me there.
    bctrooper likes this.
  4. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Test packing. And the "tires".

[​IMG]
  5. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My planned departure from Seattle is July 1 and plan some long days to get to Dawson early enough just to wait for a favorable weather window for my attempt to get to Tuk. I hope to see some of you guys along the way.
    Being retired I will have some time to wait, but I do have a date with my wife in Skagway July 19.
    cday likes this.
  6. squiffynimrod

squiffynimrod maximum shrinkage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks familiar

IMG_0010.JPG
    bobw and Rollin' like this.
  7. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, since I started this conversation thread I thought I might get my itinerary caught up in case I meet any of you out there on the road.
    I leave home alone but any other motorcycle rider companionship is welcome.
    I am departing the Seattle area Monday July 1. My miles per day goal until Dawson City Yukon is around a generous 300, camping in a tent as many days as possible. Maybe a July 1 campsite at Lac LA Hache Provincial Park, BC for my first night. After that on the Dempster it will be all about the weather and road conditions. I have a flexible goal of making it all the way to Tuk, and a very FIRM goal of making it to Skagway, AK for a 3-nighter of marital bliss. (She will fly from Seattle to Juneau and take the ferry to meet me.) I also have a VERY definite deadline of making it back to Seattle for my daughter's wedding August 24.
    I want to survive, perhaps make my goal of Tuk, do huge amounts of photography, GoPro and Drone video.
    When I first get to Dawson I will assess the weather forecasts for the Dempster, rest and wait if necessary for good conditions. If road and weather conditions are great I might wind up with extra time on my hands before my romantic get-together with my wife in Skagway. If road and weather conditions are absolutely horrible I might reassess and ride toward Fairbanks and again reassess.

This pre-trip anticipation reminds me of 1978 when my wife and I were embarking on a 10-speed road bicycle trip (long before mountain bikes were on the scene) from Minnesota to Dawson Yukon then on to the big paved road triangle in Alaska including Fairbanks and Anchorage. In those days the Cassiar Highway was gravel all the way to the Alcan.
    There came a time when despite all the pre-trip planning the real stuff was working out the kinks during the first few weeks of actual pedaling and camping.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  9. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're planning on overnighting in Prince George along the way - in either direction - hit me up. Plenty of tent space in the yard or a spare bedroom if you want a break from the elements! Cheers and ride safe!
    knight likes this.
  10. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, GISdood.
  11. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My July 1 departure is coming up soon.
    Taking a Leap into the unknown, at least to me.
    foothillsrider and AwDang like this.
  12. GeezerLarryP

GeezerLarryP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Launch date of June 24th. Two old geezers heading north for the 1st time. Canol road, Dawsen, Fairbanks, Homer and the Salty Dog, Haines to Skagway and back to Norcal. Hope to see you out there.
  13. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Test packing for my July 1 departure.
    20190619_124726.3.jpg 20190619_124818.3.jpg
  14. iCD55

iCD55 Still Kickin'

Oddometer:
    Mudtracker, I'll probably be a week or two behind you to Tuk depending on conditions but will keep an eye out for you. I leave (also from the north Seattle area) July 5 but am planning to do some riding in the Chilcotin backcountry (south and west of Quesnel) and the North Canol Road in the Yukon on the outbound. Taking 4 weeks for the entire trip. Don't be in too much of a rush to get through BC - some great roads to experience there.

BTW, I did Seattle-Anchorage on my DL650A back in 2017 and came back on the ferry. Fabulous trip! This time, I'll be riding the 1200GS.

bike in Moab.jpg
  15. mudtrack

mudtrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was all packed and ready to go this morning, 2 days before my departure. My wife is staying home for this one, however we took a fun ride today on our separate motorcycles, and tomorrow we may go for a short canoe paddle. I will miss her while I am away on my ride to Tuk, but we will meet up in Skagway 3 weeks from now for some marital fun for a few days. Then she will take the ferry back to Seattle and I will ride back. I will be in no rush, but my sweetheart and I have a date in Skagway.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd go E07 front and rear
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.