Dempster on a Goldwing

Discussion in 'Americas' started by kootenay kid, Feb 12, 2008.

1. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    I have a brother who is interested in a ride to Inuvik by way of motorcycle. Problem is he owns a Goldwing. He is a very experienced rider and I know there are folks here who say a Goldwing is ok on the Dempster, take it slow, hope for good weather blah blah blah, but I just dont think its a great idea.
    Back in the 60's my family lived in Inuvik, and this past summer I rode there on my 1150 Adventure with Kildala 2000, and ever since my brother has been interested and has made it a goal to make it there. Something else worth mentioning is he wants to take his wife as well.
    So my real question is: what are the options here? In my mind the perfect solution would be to ride to Dawson City, Rent the perfectbike for the ride up the Dempster, bring it back and carry on. Life aint that simple and Dawsons a pretty small place. So I ask, where is the nearest Practical rental place? WhiteHorse maybe? Any thoughts or suggestions would be apreciated. We are hoping for the summer of 09.
  2. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it

Oddometer:
    Does his wife ride? Perhaps renting a KLR when they get to Dawson (assuming this can be done) and having the wife in a rental sweep vehicle with extra fuel and sammiches is worth considering? I suspect he wants to take the Wing to do the entire trip 2-up, which would be courting trouble (both physical and marital) out in the boonies on those roads regardless of his skills, imho..

John
  3. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey Kid, :D

Is HE NUTZ?:D I wouldn't bring a Goldwing with my wife even if Honda gave me one to do it on..:huh
    Why not rent a GS in Anchorage?
    How about Whitehorse, she can rent a car to be our support vehicle..:wink:
    I'm in for 2009..
    Rick
  4. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    His wife does not ride but he seems pretty intent on taking her. I have done a search on the internet but didnt see much. There is one company I am going to try call tomorrow on the phone. We'll see what happens.
    I have thought of the ladies following in a truck or SUV but man thats getting complicated. I just wanna ride, throw the gear on and hit the road.
  5. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    It can be done. Should it be done is another question. I was on the Dempster last summer and encountered 2 Goldwing riders. Small world also met Kildala 2000 as he and his buds were just finishing off the Dalton.

Rider #1 on the Dempster was riding one up, got a nasty gash on the bridge of his nose when he was thrown in to his windshield as he went down. He grabbed a handful of front break when the gravel got deep and of course had a open face helmet.

Rider #2 was riding 2 - up. He made it all the way up and had a flat on the way back. He was obviously a good rider to handle the deep gravel with a passenger. She didn't appear to be enjoying the experience. His bike is pictured below. He had a flat, damaged to the bike as it was loaded caused him to have an extended stay in Inuvik wiating for Honda parts.

Like I said it can be done. Just not sure how enjoyable of a trip it would be.

[​IMG]
  6. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Well ya, he is a little nuts. He is related to me right?:lol3 He wants to do the ride and I have been sending him random pictures with little one liners like "lets do it" and stuff like that. He is finally admitting hes interested but he insists on taking his wife. Thats cool but makes it tougher to find a bike suitable and comfortable enough to do it. I need to call an outfit in Whitehorse, Arctic tours and rentals, and see what they have. Anchorage is an option but kind of out of the way when you have time problems. He owns his own truck and its gotta be moving to pay the bills. Anyways I am excited to get him up there so we will figure it out and make it work.:thumb
  7. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Did we meet in Alaska?

My suggestion would be for him to get himself an 1100 or 1150 GS, with a nice big gas tank, and new TKCs, and leave the goldwing home. He can always sell the GS when he gets back.

It also depends on how good, giving, and game his wife is. I saw people on Harleys up there (not the Dempster- I didn't make it that way). Some of them are very good riders.
  8. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    Ural?

:hide
  9. motomac

motomac Mac

Oddometer:
    I did the Dempster on a Gold Wing and pulled a camper behind it. On the way back down I met a couple going North on a Gold Wing, so it can and has been done. I did not encounter any wet road up or down and the highest speeds I did was 75 MPH.
  10. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:

Nice:thumb If I show him that picture he'll want to do it for sure. As for the other posts, I wish I could get him to buy a GS. If I was rich enough I'd buy a new Adventure and let him ride mine. But that aint the case. We shall see what happens.
  11. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    What year Wing is it?
  12. motomac

motomac Mac

Oddometer:
    The Wing is a '98 and the trip was in '99. I packed my SO up to AK on an '01 Wing pulling an '04 Bunkhouse in '05. With her on the back we stayed off the gravel roads. The construction was enough for her, she wasn't happy with the action of the bike squirming around on the gravel in the construction areas, so I figured the Haul Road was not in the cards that trip.
  13. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    FYI

When I was in Dawson I heard people talking about rental agencies forbidding their cars to be on the Dempster.
  14. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    read piet boonstra's book, he took a wing to ak many years ago when the roads were a tad worse than they are now I think;)
  15. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    My brothers wing is an 06. Its pretty bloody shiney still. I just shudder at the thought but hey if he wants to do it I'm there!
  16. Highwayman

Highwayman Saddle Up

Oddometer:
    I rode the Dalton Hwy to the Arctic Circle in '05 on a 2003 Goldwing. The mud can be hairy as hell, no kidding....but it can be done on any bike if the rider is able or foolish enough to attempt it. It's just a motorcycle, right?
  17. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey Kid, :D

Would he like to rent a Dakar?:D I know one that can be used..:wink:
    Hello, H-Jay!!
    Rick
  18. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:

That would work just fine. I need to get him to drop the idea of bringing the S.O.
  19. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of people (who have never tried it) who say that putting a car tire on the rear of a Wing is the stupidest idea they have ever come across. But those of us who have done it find that it makes a world of difference on gravel roads, and makes even a Wing capable of going places that are usually for dual sports only. If I were going to attempt either the Dempster or the Dalton two-up, it would only be with a car tire on the rear, and probably a knobby on the front.
    If he's the least bit interested in finding out more about the idea, there is a huge amount of information on the gl1800Riders.com site under Darkside Riders.
    Still - with a Tupperware-covered bike like the Wing, either one of those roads will stuff mud into places he won't get cleaned again without a complete teardown.
  20. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    If he LOVES his Goldwing, he'll leave it home.

If he's smart, he'll leave his wife at Eagle Plaines (if its wet, leave her in Dawson City).

Just cause you can does not mean you should. That marble gravel between the ferries is wicked and the rest of the road to Inuvik is just extra lousy and somewhat boring after the 1st 100 miles of stunted trees.

That said the Dempster Hwy from Dawson City to the Artic Circle is the most beautiful country you will find and a MUST DO. Did it in the rain last June and would not want to do it 2 up on any kind of bike so watch the weather.