1. eNewsletter Sign Up

demystifying the bunk re: straightening /truing/rebuilding GS wheels

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Feb 28, 2005.

1. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for helping me explain it better,,you are on the right track though!!
    holler if i can clarify better...
    :freaky
    woody
  2. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    Woody,

I recently bought my first Beemer, an '08 R1200GSA. It was in very good condition. The former owner was good about maintenance. Then I saw your decals on the wheels. I've spun 'em and tapped the spokes and they look okay to me. The bike gets some off road on gravel and had taken a bump or two on bad dirt roads. I lower air pressure for better traction, but not less than 25/28. I use Heidenau K60 Scouts front and rear. They are still round. I have read about your talents in magazines and online. It's cool to have an understanding of just what goes on with these cross laced wheels, but when they get loose or wobbly I'll just send them to you. Never knew there were grub screws on the spokes.

Bill
  3. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    i remember the very first R100GS back in circa '87,,,,brought to me by Deb Lower, the goddess of the BMWOA,,,,had a flat spot in it ,,,no one wanted to tackle the first X-laced tubeless wheels,,,even Buchanans said fuget about it...she brought it to me and i spent a week trying to get it right ,,,always ended up tightening the the nipple when BAM it just wouldn't tighten up any more,,,,i too threw in the towel...

years later,,,someone brought in another totally loose rear wheel and sat it on my counter,,,and Whoa,i look at it and discover the little allen screws in the nipple and VOILA,,the light goes on,,everything fell in place as to why the nipples bottomed out,,,looked at the microfiche and YUP,there they were ,,those nasty lil grub screws,,,the rest is history,,,:wink:

:freaky
    woody
  4. trionyx

trionyx Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hi Woody,
    Thanks for your advices!

Basically I would like to ask you how do you center the rim? I mean how do you remove the hi and low spots of it? BMW manual mentions how to do that, but to tell you the truth I did not understand it... would you be please so kind to explain the steps?

After it runs straight, then how do you torque the screws? Do you do it by a special pattern is several torque steps?
    For example do you start to torque 0.5Nm next to the valve stem right side, then turn the rim 180°, then torque on the left side, then 90° etc.. each with a low torque, than do you raise the torque value to 1Nm and do the same?

( Basically I live in Hungary, would be a huge amount of money to send you and back the wheels... I have to do the job by myself :( )
  5. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    @trionyx ,

Woody wrote: Loosen the low spots and tighten the high spots on a straight rim, if the rim is bent ,,, you'll needs to straighten it first or buy new rim..

He will not go into more specific detail than that, as these are the trade secrets he learned on his own, and what gives him an advantage to competitors. There are a couple of people in Europe that we can refer you to if you need more assistance. As mentioned in the original post, if you are working with anything less than a straight/true rim, chances are you are going to end up with more of a headache than a true wheel.

One of the people that we have in Europe is located in Serbia, and was trained by Woody himself. The other is in Poland. We have never worked with him before, but have heard good things.
  6. trionyx

trionyx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, Woodie! Could you please send me the contact data of the people in Serbia? Thanks!
    woody's wheel works likes this.
  7. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    @trionyx I sent that info in a PM. Thanks!
  8. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    @woody's wheel works - I have a GSALC Front Wheel coming to you on Wednesday. I'm looking forward to you working your magic. Depending on the final cost, I'll send you the rear as well. Thanks for the service. If you want to post before and after photos here, you have my permission.
  9. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    @AdamChandler Thanks for the heads up! We'll look it over when it comes in and give you a call with the estimate. :D
  10. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woody, I have the newer style tubless spoked wheel(Suzuki Vstrom DL650XT). It's the type where the spokes are all laced onto a veritcal fin around the inside of the wheel and do not penetrate the wheel itself. Do you work on these and if so do you true them up the same as traditional spokes? I have a run-out of about 3/16ths inch in the front after some rough off roading in root and boulders.
  11. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, we can repair. They are almost identical to the Yamaha SuperTenere XT1200Z wheels. They are bit easier than the x-lace BMW wheels as spokes are at the center of the rim. Often it is the case because they are not as strong as some wheels at the lips, the wheel primarily needs to be straightened and than the spokes/nipples need re-tensioning. They true more similarly to traditional center-laced rims, but there are some tricks and you do have to be more conscious of the amount of tension used because there is not much support for the spoke heads at the rim. These wheels, like the Tenere wheels require more maintenance than tradtional center-laced wheels and x-lace BMW wheels.

Hope that helps and have a great day,
    Chris

12. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chris, I'll send it to y'all asap.
  13. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Sounds great.

Thanks,
    Chris

14. aceranic

aceranic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @woody's wheel works would you sent me Serbian guy details as I live in Croatia and need wheel fixed. Thx
    woody's wheel works likes this.