Desert Bombing Runs

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by RideFreak, Jul 22, 2018.

1. bmon

bmon Go Thattaway Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing the improvements in drone tech in such a short period of time.
  2. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    Had to smile at the Mavic getting confused here: https://www.skydio.com/

I had a Mavic Air spring 2018 and that's what it did. Protects the aircraft but it stops. Then you have to figure out it's no longer with you and find it.

The fact that it relied solely on visual tracking vs. incorporating the GPS location of the target was a huge limitation at the time. I sold mine.

Your video looks very good. And the demos showing it flying through pine forest are stunning.

Can you estimate the percentage time the Skydio lost track of you? With short flight times that is the the only thing that really matters to me.
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    Just hope nobody attached a weapon to one,
    It never lost track of me the entire time I tested it, subject lock was rock solid. My Staaker is the same way, it's only lost lock twice since I've owned it. Teather is the only way for this type of use IMO. You can also pair the phone app to the teather so you get all the features in the app with the teather's superior tracking and one mile range. It's easy to get complacent when it doesn't crash or loose track of you, of course that's a double edged sword, if something happens you might not realize it for a couple miles. I did 2 long runs of about 5 miles each and it was there the whole time. Granted this wasn't difficult terrain to track on but I was running around the street at the house, through the trees and in between the houses and it's kind of scary how well this stays on you. If it was militarized it'd be a scary weapon.
    Granitic likes this.
  4. dirtydoug

dirtydoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IF.......

im sure if we have it the Military has it... thats where the majority of that kind tech comes from
    _CJ likes this.
  5. _CJ

_CJ Retrogrouch

Oddometer:
    And our local police have it....

6. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks. This kind of lock and obstacle avoidance was what I was looking for with the Mavic Air. It had the camera data but just could not respond in real-time without the 1.3 Teraflops of the Skydio. So it would stop and stare at trees, etc.

May put me back into drone ownership.