Desert Fox Fuel Bladder

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Dean Ohlin, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  2. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah...:jkam
  3. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    I stopped getting notifications so did not see this, started looking today at all the threads I closely follow,

I always thought that those straps were added as an after thought to be able to stow away the bag when not in use, I thought why even bother, this is going to cause more problems than it solves.
    It just looked too flimsy to use when the bag is full, and I just wondered at the time how many people will end up using these, instead in investing in some proper tie downs like the rock straps.
    Hands up who has used these straps to tie the bags when filled to the bike, I cut mine off after it just kept getting in the way.
    The D Rings are meant to be used when the bag is filled up and tied to the bike otherwise you just end up a moving petrol bomb violation.
  4. ex-xt

ex-xt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi guys
    I gave up
    1) the ZA reseller puts a dollar price ( 140 ) , upper than I thought with rands
    2) Bought a chinese stuff, 45 euros for a basic plastic ugly 10 L gear . Will fix it as I can
  5. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Nevertheless, the quality should reflect the price.

I once lost about 2 litres while filling as the funnel popped out of the bladder. The cap resembles a milk bottle top. I’m missing one filler neck as they aren’t properly secured.

Just my personal opinion mate.
  6. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Shipping and pay-pal that takes a cut and consider import tax then it becomes expensive
    I bought mine for less than £25 a bag but then I am fortunate enough that I visit South Africa every couple of years and when I bought it it was R24 to the £, and the postage is not a killer as I ship locally, Last time I brought 10 units with me but it took ages to sell I only recently sold the last two, so I did not get anymore on my second trip.

Admittedly at the current Rand to £ rate it will set me back about £37 per unit, I just have to wait till Zuma screws up again and then go for a holiday again
  7. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    When I looked at alternatives for carrying fuel in 2011-2013 these Australian made ones were the only option available and they were about AU$200+ per unit at the time way too expensive, only in 2013/14 did the Desert Fox come on the scene just at the right time when I headed for South Africa.

Now the Ausie made ones are UA$79 so why did you not rather buy the local product ?
    http://www.liquidcontainment.com.au/product/10/7-Litre-Jerry-Can#.Wl6NG666-Uk
    http://www.liquidcontainment.com.au/category/9/Recreational

I get your point but at current £-Rand rates you pay about £26 more locally for the Desert Fox, someone from Ballards explained that they have postage storage and import taxes worked into the price plus a bit of profit
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ballards...t-Fox-5000-5L-Fuel-Cell-Bladder-/262466438676

Considering that the only thing that has perished so far is the useless packing strap its still good value for money
    Only one user reported the internal bag failing I have used mine for three years now on several trips soon to be 4 years in all sorts of conditions
    The funnel coming out could also be attributed to user blaming the tool instead of themselves for not checking its properly secured in place before use or storage

I have no affiliation with the product

Doesn't this defeat the object of wasted space when empty, oh well to each his own
  8. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    You just don’t get it nor do you want to. :fpalm

They are junk, period. If your happy with it, that’s your choice.

The sleeve isn’t deep enough for the Velcro to secure the filler neck. I have have given you the photo that you requested. I have given you points of valid issues but you still can’t except others having a dislike for something you see worthy.

“oh well to each is own” Practice what you write...
  9. ex-xt

ex-xt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hello guys
    1) The price is a thing, being fair is something else , right :dirtdog.
    I do no like to be messed up : the guy gave me a price for two, without shipping ( because his boss was not here :eek7:muutt) in rands then a price all included in US $ .
    here is the answer
    ----------

> Hello and good morning

> I had checked up the rates and I found this price a little too high, especially because of TWO changes of currecny .

> It was not planned like this before or i had missed something .

> So at the moment I stop the transaction .

> S yours

> XXXX

> former math teacher

> and the less I use dollars is better
    -------------------------------

2) my instructor told us :" if there is a doubt , there is none" :hair
    3) Maybe I will buy an IMS too, in this case a 2 L bottle expendable would be enough .
    have a nice day
  10. Baz131

Baz131 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used the straps without a problem for my 10 000km trip to Phillip Island via the GCR. Mostly off road.

The bladders were a great improvement over the MSR Bags I was running previously. No more fuel smell!! The bladders were strapped to the top of my wolfman bags, allowing me to release just two straps and swing the bladder out of the way to access the pannier bag. Quick and easy, and kept it all off the ground. The funnel is not the best, but being aware of the fitment issue, and due diligence when filling proved not a problem at all. IMG_4554.JPG IMG_4554.JPG
    Dukehunt and glitch_oz like this.
  11. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    And its your choice to move on to the next solution :-) for me its serving its purpose perfectly just taking care when using the item.
    If there was a lot of users complaining about the same issues then I would consider it junk, so far it sounds like justification to buy a different solution, when the existing solution still provides it intended function apart from one or two minor flaws, which I agree can improve .:thumb
    I fed my concerns back to the guys who supplies the product like the funnel storage and poor quality of the straps https://bikegear.co.za/product/desert-fox-5l-fuel-cell/ my funnel fits perfectly no issues so that's a new one on me
    Again a product wont improve if there is no constructive criticism and feedback if the negatives are in the minority then there will be no improovement
  12. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    I think it was @wiz.au that had the buckle break on him on those straps, just be aware that they are not ideally suited for mounting the bags to the bike when filled. When I sent my feedback my concerns over the quality of the straps and funnel storage in 2014 , the guys at Bike Gear told me to use the D-Rings instead, as the straps are for rolling up the bag and mounting to the bike when empty. The funnel storage issue I had no positive feedback on just that they will evaluate it but I overcame by cutting off 1 CM off the tip and the Velcro closed easier and more secure
  13. ex-xt

ex-xt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Gedrog
    @AUSSIEADV

To be precise : these people in ZA had been neither professionnal ( answers , price, bla bla ) nor fair ( the time, the no answering) .
    End of story .
    As far as I am concerned, i will answer all the questions about THIS point on any forum in France , Europe also.

@Baz131
    With this luggage, it would be impossible to follow some tracks I will take , and fall sometimes in rocks parts . SO this is a reason not to take it also
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  14. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Yeah not good when you get that level of customer service
  15. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    And a reliable one.

Rather than trying to make do with what others mayexpect me to run, I’ll give it a go to come up with something that I consider a better solution.

394A316A-92F3-4186-9A67-D32C06A40AB9.jpeg
    ex-xt and Dukehunt like this.
  16. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  17. ex-xt

ex-xt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @AUSSIEADV nice material : i have a crash tested tank bag from w-mann .
    But your solution = sides of the tank , would not fit my SWM because this one is already too thin for it .
    To be as clear a s possible , surely a bigger tank is the best solution but , right now, too expensive for the purpose ( change the plastics and seat for husky stuff) = around 600 $ without transport.
    Maybe IMS will make a real tank for the SWM ? :clap.
    The plastic 10 L will be fixed with elasctic line ( i have 2 of these, very versatile on the trailer ) on top of the GLoop : not really nice or fitted :lobby . But 53 € all included .
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  18. Farmer Roy

Farmer Roy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    are they the e12 panniers ?
    I currently run them at the rear & use the wolfman tank panniers over the tank
    what are those jerries you put in them ?
  19. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    BygDaddee and Farmer Roy like this.
  20. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    I have one of these i have used on 4 or 5 trips and for some reason i cant empty it to roll it up. There is a good half litre or more in that wont come out .
    Turn it upside , squeeze no glory .
    Wonder if there is a tear in the inner & it leaked in to a second liner ?

Anyone have this issue ?