Desert Fox Fuel Bladder

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Dean Ohlin, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I've got the wrong end of this, but are you Motohansa?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lets see
    Freight
    Import clearance costs
    Warehouse space
    Wages
    Government taxes and charges (superannuation, holiday pay, business taxes, etc)
    Insurance
    Advertising - web or otherwise
    The cost of finance for the business
    Provision of warranty
    and lastly
    Profit

Frankly I think the price that the locals are charging is quite reasonable based on the time and effort and costs of importing small value items. Keep in might that as the items are low value even a bulk buy will probably only attract a fairly minimal discount off RRP in South Africa.
    I guess you are not involved in actually operating a business and have no understanding of the costs involved.
    chevtech likes this.
  3. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This may be the Austrailian Forum, but I live in Scotland, and have just purchased 2 of these from Flying Brick in south Africa, for use on a trip to the US.
    They've not arrived yet, so I don't know exactly what import tax I'm going to get hit with, but the total cost is likely to be well over double the South African RRP, but if they prove to be as good as they sound, worth every penny.

I also got some extra info from Flying Brick, which may interest you: (I think this sounds like good advice for all bladder type fuel storage and even solid cans)

Important note:

The Desert Fox fuel bladder can take up to 5L of fuel, BUT in warm/hot conditions, it is best to fill it up to 4L an no more than 4.5L. When fuel heats, physics take over…fumes are created and the bag will expand – you have to allow space for that expansion. In fact, if riding on a very hot day with a full fuel bladder, consider allowing the fuel vapours that have built up, to escape from time to time.
    Angry Pete likes this.
  4. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    NO!!! Just a little privateer getting some stuff for himself and his mates, that's all.

And as for the pm's....thanks for those, guys!
    But I'm not a retailer/ business/ etc selling those things.
    It's a long story how it all started but I only ordered as many as were spoken for when the issue came up on the AusTouring forum.
    I do expect the one or other "Me, Me" to not follow through and...MAYBE... therefore have a spare or 2.

Looks like I should've ordered twice as many.
    Hoots likes this.
  5. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Hmmm...I thought that rather filling the thing to the brim doesn't leave any space at all for vapour to build-up.
    Same thing as with full jerry-cans on the back of 4WDs.
    There'll be some expansion of the base-liquid, but no vapour if the bag is chockers filled with fuel.

Best drain it all in one hit to avoid vapours, though.
  6. K1W1

Oddometer:
    Pertrol physically expands when it gets hot. If you were to fill one of these things to the brim and leave it in the sun it would definitely test the seams. The same thing happens with a metal fuel tank on a bike if you fill it right to the brim and leave it in the sun you will find fuel leaking out the overflow if it has one. Back in the production racing days it was reported (I of course never saw this happen first hand :-) ) that some successful teams used to super cool their first tank of fuel with dry ice to get more in for the long distance races and save one fuel stop. Of course the idiot mechanics may or may not have decided they could cool the after event beer in the dry ice once and frozen the stuff. But that's only a rumour.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  7. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a couple of the bladders and though I don't fill them right to the brim, I do fill them pretty close to it as the fuel does not stay in them that long. Basically just before leaving I vent the vapour build up (if any) and as soon as I have travelled 110/120km (about 5litres used ) I stop and empty the bladder in to the bike.
    If really worried about vapour build up due to heat, just ride 20km and dump 1 litre or so in to your bikes petrol tank (I realise for some this is a bit time consuming..... but for me 5 mins doesn't matter either way).
    That way you stay safe with regards to splitting the bladder and also maximise it's usefulness by getting the full 5 litres use :clap:clap
    glitch_oz likes this.
  8. Haggs

Haggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for bringing to my attention the associated costs of running a business. Yep, you're right, it's a subject that I clearly have no idea about. I will, from this day on, make no assumptions or comments on things I have no actual knowledge of or experience in. Please take this as my sincere apology for my ill-informed statement,( which I totally and completely retract), and I hope that I have not offended you, or any other person or persons, who may or may not own their own business.

Phew! Right now where was I. Ah yes, I think i saw them at Motohansa for 99 bucks. I'm gunna order one tomorrow.:thumb
  9. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Pls check on stock levels...I might even need a few more than what I ordered from ZA.
    And at that price, it's all sweet with me.
  10. danny.j

danny.j Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll vouch for them as a decent product. Had mine near twelve months , just about lives on the bike. No problems with it moving or with expansion / vapour. Picked mine up from Ballards for $99.

Attached Files:

11. K1W1

Oddometer:
    Thanks that what I was hoping for. An actual owner experience.
  12. Drumbrakes

Drumbrakes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine have just arrived.
    They feel very sturdy, the combination of rings and straps should give loads of fitting options.

The outer covering is lined with some sort of dense foam padding, feels a bit like neoprene, which will help give extra protection again punctures or tears, but makes it a little bulkier when rolled up than you might expect.
    The filling spout is ever so slightly too long for the pouch, or the pouch is a bit too short. There is velcro on the inside at the end to close the pouch, which doesn't actually meet when the spout in. If the manufacturers are reading, why not have a flap over the end of the pouch instead?
    K1W1 likes this.
  13. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The brutality of the customer - That's the strength of capitalism
  14. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also from Canada, also interested.
  15. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody purchased any of these from Motohunsa online recently
  16. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok I will rephrase that ..has anybody actually transacted anything online with Motuhansa online

Iam about to hit the paypal dispute button
  17. Out6ack

Out6ack Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    Interesting that Ballards advertise these as 6L.
    Can anyone confirm they will hold 6L?
  18. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    I doubt it...they're pretty fat with 5 but still with air gap so i guess you can squeeze an extra 100ml or so.

I'll fill one to the max tomorrow and see how it goes :kboom:lol3
    Out6ack likes this.
  19. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone taken a tumble with one of these yet? I want to use tank panniers to carry 2 fuel bladders, but worry that the lining of these might pop, if squashed by me or the bike :muutt. I already have an LC bladder and it seems bombproof, if a tad smelly.

Cheers,

Adrian
  20. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Got 5150ml of water into it, filled to the screwcap.
    AFAIK, they only ever came in one size, the 5l, as per its name, "Desert Fox 5000".

The only Aus retailer with stock readily at hand seems to be Steve at
    http://www.mototrack.com.au/desert-fox-fuel-cell.html

(and no, that's not me nor Motohansa :D but I have seen a stack of 20 or so at his place )
    Out6ack likes this.