Desert Fox Fuel Bladder

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Dean Ohlin, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
  2. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

"Out of stock".... next to the price.
  3. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Cheers i didnt look just linked it
  4. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    just to test when I first got mine, I filled mine up with just over 6 litres, but it's not a useable 6 litres as you would spill a lot just getting the cap on and off.
    Out6ack likes this.
  5. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    And yes, there's one more spare. One of the guys had to pull out of the upcoming NZ-ride and doesn't need his.
    Pls contact via pm if interested.
  6. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put 28L in 5 of them and rode half way across the simpson desert with them. Put 3 in the tank at the end of the day and the other 2 in the middle of the next day. They got hot but were no problem. I was trying to fit 6L in each but got 5.6. Fell over a dozen times and they never popped or leaked. The little plastic buckles on them do break though. I carried them inside soft panniers on the desert trip.
    ex-xt, Out6ack and ferals5 like this.
  7. Dick0

Dick0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was about to order 2 from them this morning but rung first to confirm if they actually had them in stock. The guy on the phone in spares and accessories didn't have a clue if in stock or not, he was then pretty friggin rude and said the only way to find out is to send an email to ask them.

Not taking the punt with Hillbilly outfits.

I gather you got stuffed around ? did it turn out ok ?
  8. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Iam glad you asked.....:)

NO

Paypal complaint is in with a few days to go then my 220 odd dollars gets returned

You need to speak to Rob who comes in mabey on Saturday morning

I got the sounding apologetic "I cant help you" Iam sure it was 3 times may have been 4 edit from the guy who picked up the phone not on a saturday ......it was the first long pause and the first I cant help you ....sort of set the tone ...he was polite

Paypal and I have had no response

A little bird has told me they havent had stock for over 12 months

Flying brick the makers in South Affrica charge $60 Aud per each and I got the email this morning $160 I think for 2 airfreight to adelaide

Just a little bit miffed......
    Dick0 likes this.
  9. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    The spout looks a little cheap and nasty or is it just the pic?
  11. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
    favour.

We were able to recover $215.80 AUD, and this amount has been credited to
    you. Please allow 5 business days for this adjustment to be posted.
    AUSSIEADV and Dick0 like this.
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the consensus on these things re' smell?

Are they an improvement over the Liquid Containment bladder in that regard?
  13. danny.j

danny.j Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No smell if ya don't spill petrol on the outside while fitting the spout..
    Spout works well , but you need to support the thread while pushing the spout in place.
    There is bit of a knack to pouring in to the tank, once you've got that sorted no problems.
    Hoots likes this.
  14. DazRSV

DazRSV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ordered from mototrack tue morning on my desk wed lunchtime . $135 landed .happy days.
  15. KirkFord

KirkFord Been here a while

Oddometer:
    I've just been sitting on the side and following this blog with interest and I've taken the bait even though I didn't want to - but the Mototrack website re the Desert Fox for $120 just for the sake of carrying 5 litres is a bit rich; and I'm not going to get into a business economics argument and the breakdown of it all etc, etc. The 'buck stops' with the buyer. It is a useful and practical product; no doubt there, but not for that price (to me here I refer - each to their own). I understand the need to carry a small amount of fuel for some people on some days they ride ie: not a full on long trip but a fun day out in the backblocks somewhere and near no ready fuel stop; a few litres can be the difference of getting home or not. For me (& it's just my thought) I think the asking price is over the top. I'd go back to my cleaned out 5ltr oil bottle stuffed in a bag & strapped on the back of the bike somewhere anyday - which is a fairly tough container, or a small 5ltr plastic job from 'Willow' (Aussie co.) from Supercheap or somewhere;anywhere - it's not that inconvenient, the $120 is. Liquid Containment (another Aussie co.) have a 7 ltre collapsible bag for (?) $79. It's just as practical and cheaper and no shipping just postage (if you buy direct from the company). They're available anyway at some outlets around the country that you may be able to get to easy enough. I find emptying a bladder as you ride is best as the container isn't heat effected for long anyway (get rid of the problem as quick as you can; and it is a problem carrying spare fuel). One of the drawbacks with LC containers, and the problem perhaps exists with other types such as the Desert Fox, DO NOT use them to store fuel - use the fuel as you ride and if it's full when you get home put it back into another container. You may get away with it for a couple of days leaving it in the LC container but no more - they will swell up even sitting in your garage out of the sun - all these things are for the temporary storage of fuel.

[
    and just as an aside as to what works for me - I have a 25ltr Acerbis tank on the DR and that gives me 530k's, if I'm careful, fuel range. The original 13ltr tank only gave a 230k range. The $120 for Desert Fox is the cost of the LC 12ltr I use on a long haul - which you may think is a bit big for lugging around on the rear of your bike and you'd be right it is. The trick for me is to use it as I ride and the same for the D/Fox may be the same. Don't wait for hours to use it or till the end of the day to top up a tank. I've found that after I've travelled 80-100k's, then top up the tank - weight to the front not on the rear, and no overly expanded bag and leakage from heat. Pain in the neck? It can be sometimes but it generally coincides with my 'backside breaks' I have to have. The 12ltr LC only gives me 210-220k's at best anyway, so each 100k's maybe 5-6 litres - roughly half the LC bladder. Does the LC bag leak - not yet - it probably would if I left it in the sun too long and it does swell up easy enough. It's not easy to pour though and the nozzle set is really archaic (different on the LC 7ltr I think); it doesn't screw in it just slips into the spout. It rolls up pretty damn good as well ie. it doesn't take up much space and easy to slide under a strap].
    Farmer Roy likes this.
  16. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're right in saying everyone has different needs - and I guess what constitutes good spending is then adjusted accordingly

I have a LC bladder, and only considering the Desert Fox alternative as it apparently does not smell - the LC bladder reeks - even after emptying - so much so that I haven't used it for some time - the smell then contaminates everything else - the tie-down points also appear to be less robust than the Desert Fox, and for this reason I tended to put the bladder in a backpack or some other bag - which again is problematic re' smell

I'm encouraged by what others have said about the Desert Fox bladder - will probably give it a go - it's only rare that I need extra fuel range, but does happen
  17. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Hoots, you can borrow mine to try if you want, when I get it back from its current loan!
  18. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steve - will take you up on that
  19. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why do you reckon it is that each litre of the Acerbis tank petrol carries you further than a litre of either the original tank petrol or the LQ bladder petrol?
  20. KirkFord

KirkFord Been here a while

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hoots, and I mean that seriously - it is each to their own (what's interesting is that I spent ages thinking about what to chip in and editing the post that in the end I just deleted it - but somehow it still got sent and I thought I was very careful not to send it because I didn't want it to be an argument that may get someones nose out of joint). It is interesting that you have an issue with the LC smelling - something I haven't taken too much notice of even though my nose still works - I have it on the back but I always get a fuel smell from the breather tube of the tank but with the bladder when it's empty I keep ouside under a strap and I can't say as I have had an issue with it but it does have its drawbacks to use. Weight for one and the crappy filler tube is another. On a long trip I only have to use it the once - as there is generally enough fuel to get me to all other fuels stops; I only take it if I think I'm cutting it too fine between a ceratin point A & B as they say. That in itself is a drawback 'cause I have to carry it around till end of the journey.
    Just as a bit of info I use a piece of the flexible plastic kitchen cutting board sheet (you can buy at a supermarket in a pack for about 10bucks of different colours etc). I cut about a 3rd of it and roll it up in a funnel shape and stick that in the tank and pour from the bladder instead of using the bladders fill tube. It doe'nt fully go in the tank as a funnel shape but I pour against the back of it and trickle the fuel in fine. Anyway thanks for the comments.

KR
    Sherman
    Tomdog likes this.