Desert Minimalism: Springtime Adjustafork Odyssey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Serious man, I'm not bullshitting. It can't.
    yakawars59, Ginger Beard and chudzikb like this.
  2. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tennis shoes??? Adjustafork tied up with the viola straps on your feet and presto!! Heloooo!! :)
  3. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some fantastic shots ‘Joe’! That terrain has my head spinning just reading this.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  4. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    I think I camped by that lake back in 14. It was weird seeing all of those houseboats out in the desert.
  5. kroll

kroll n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your adjustafork adventures with us.
    I've been following your thread while working the night shift. Keep the pics and stories coming!
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah, kind of frowned upon by ADV-Fs. The old Chuck Taylor is about max for a shoe but the Voile strap sandal is the preferred method. My lame excuse for packing shoes was I was breaking in new boots on this trip. I didn't really know how they were going to shake out. The first three days I was quite happy to get out of them at the end of the day. After that, business as usual and the shoes weren't really needed.

Good camping around that reservoir and a swim is always good for a total reset.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately for the readers, I'm only about half way through with this nonsense and it's just more monotonous as I go.

Same old shit. It’s a vicious routine. I’m in the croffee stage at this point. The weather is warm and it’s quite comfortable. Not a soul anywhere near.
    day7 - 1.jpg

Perfect cup. Just don’t slam the last gulp.
    day7 - 2.jpg

Time to clean the Adjustafork which consists of working it back and forth in the dirt and wiping it off.
    day7 - 3.jpg

I find I prefer to stow the Adjustafork under my sleeping roll. I make sure there are a few Voile straps woven through it so it can’t work it’s way out backwards off the fender.
    day7 - 4.jpg

Tight!! I forgot a couple things in my mini build thread earlier. One is my custom pipe which is the stock pipe that I’ve taken a hacksaw to and chopped 4” off it. Look out Akrapovic, I’m gunning for you! Actually, what this does is makes more room between my gear and the pipe so things don’t get hot. Who needs a spark arrester anyway?
    day7 - 5.jpg

The other item is the poor-man adventure pegs. Just weld on a little more metal around the outside of the stock pegs. Done.
    9C6DFE99-8299-4A0F-9958-86EB29F23BEB.jpeg

The riding starts out perfect.
    day7 - 6.jpg

However, the wash is getting more muddy as I descend it. I don’t mind getting muddy at all but I don’t really like pulling my bike out of quicksand especially if I’m solo. After many years, I’m finally being able to recognize when it’s time to not screw around in muddy washes.
    day7 - 7.jpg

I take a different direction and find a little bump to boost off of.
    day7 - 8.jpg
    scudo, mnTwin, forgorin and 24 others like this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Next up, the ATV trail crosses this wash which is a little wet but not a concern. It continues up the ridge in the background.
    day7 - 9.jpg

At the next intersection I get onto a well graded road which winds through some neat country. I’m not really sure of my direction after this section.
    day7 - 10.jpg

I decide to take a spur down to a river where there is a decent crossing although I’m pretty sure it’ll be too deep to cross.
    day7 - 11.jpg

When I get there I’m quite surprised to see it flowing at a manageable level. It’s even fairly clear with no silt!! I don’t know what the management practices are upstream from here but I’m guessing they are filling reservoirs, hence the lack of flow down here.
    day7 - 12.jpg

Taking pictures of these old drill rigs is becoming a thing for me. I know where there are two others that I’ve come across during my rides. The water supply to this trough very well may have been the last hole this one drilled.
    day7 - 13.jpg

Riding through this Bentonite seems kind of “lunar” to me. As @Magus stated, it makes your head spin.
    day7 - 14.jpg
    scudo, theailer, forgorin and 23 others like this.
  9. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Have you ever been to the Bisti Badlands near Shiprock? It is like that last picture but even more interesting and bizarre. Downside is, you can't ride a motorcycle through it, foot traffic only.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone once told us to check out the Bisti Badlands but did not tell us any details other than it was cool looking. My wife and I rode out there but then were disappointed that there were no roads. Only hiking or horseback. I am not much of a hiker, especially when on a moto trip. I am even lees of a hiker when it is August in the desert southwest.
    Shadowed_Stranger likes this.
  11. KLRalph

KLRalph Because KTMalph sounds funny

Oddometer:
    Joe you are a lucky man living so close to such a great place to ride!

My question is about your bivy. In a rain storm, how do you keep your other gear dry? Do your boots and pack fit inside?

Thanks,
    RE
  12. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    More stunning landscape pics. That muddy wash looks like trouble...

Thread continues to deliver..
    NoelJ and Joe Motocross like this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Good question. With my riding style, everything is always in limbo and it all depends on the situation. The first thing is to adjust the route and campsite depending on anticipated weather. I like to stash things under rock ledges. If there is no shelter available, sometimes I tip my boots upside down and pull as much shit into my bivy as I can. Often I have a small tarp along that I'll just wrap the gear in. Sometimes I don't have my bivy and I use the tarp as a roof tied off my bike. Really, the tarp is more important than the bivy but the combo provides a very versatile and compact kit.
    KLRalph and Burro driver like this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I’m just covering ground at this point with fairly fast two tracks. My buddy Wally shot me a text message and said he and his girlfriend were camping north of where I was and I should come for dinner and Crow. OK.
    day7 - 15.jpg

Things were intense in a subtle way. The riding was easy but the surroundings were enough to make your brain do funny things.
    day7 - 16.jpg

I tee’d into a well graded road that was pushed down through this wash.
    day7 - 17.jpg

I’m telling you, I was losing my mind out here. The clouds, the dirt, the scenery. Just being out there with no commitments. Nothing to do but wander.
    day7 - 18.jpg

Just ride. That’s all.
    day7 - 20.jpg

I wanted to go check out a stock pond that had been blown out last fall by a heavy rain. I kind of expected that a rancher would’ve been in there with his bulldozer and patched it up but it was still breached.
    day7 - 21.jpg
    scudo, mnTwin, forgorin and 14 others like this.
  15. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a soul anywhere near.

And that right there makes it all worthwhile. Almost nirvana.
    pitbull likes this.
  16. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    I make Cowboy Coffee while on the trail, 'cept I have Starbucks micro-grind my coffee and put it in a tiny little packet for me. :shog
    Shadowed_Stranger and Zubb like this.
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you're trying to bait me or what but I'm not touching that.
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    At some point I got an alert on my phone for another Adjustafork order. Now I had a mission for the end of the day. Get to one of my caches and ship the order. Then, go find Wally for a dinner party.
    day7 - 22.jpg

You really can’t go wrong out here. Just pick a direction and start riding. You’ll come across something cool.
    day7 - 23.jpg

I made it to the post office before they closed. Turns out a friend’s wife works at this one. Small desert.
    day7 - 24.jpg

Because of the excessive run-off, crossing rivers to get to Wally’s camp wasn’t an option so I got pushed into a route I don’t know. This was a “quad-friendly” spine route.
    day7 - 25.jpg

This looked like it was a bit hairy for the quads but obviously some local dirt bike punks use this section.
    day7 - 26.jpg

Quad traffic must be heavy through here.
    day7 - 27.jpg
    scudo, mnTwin, Shaggie and 9 others like this.
  19. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    That order may have been me. You could've waited till you got home.
    Have fun.
  20. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Four forks please! Order placed but disappointed that the 2.0 wasn't available. Great thread, and keep riding!
    Zubb likes this.