Desert Minimalism: Springtime Adjustafork Odyssey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 6, 2019.

1. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    My grand dad, out in west Texas, use to make "cowboy coffee". He said it wasn't any good till your spoon would stand up in it. :lol3
    He was a pretty tough old guy. Rode a horse from Dallas to Oklahoma in 1903 to marry a Chickasaw girl. Wish I had of ask him about all that before he died.
    Adanac rider, Magus, dano619 and 5 others like this.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Catching up after a few days of being off-grid. What a fantastic few days of riding and updates @Joe Motocross. Dude - that scenery is amazing, and that flank steak over the coals looked perfect.

Had a good laugh at the 'small desert' comment on your buddy's wife working at the post office. Pretty cool of you to make sure orders are taken care of even when you're "on the road".

Looking forward to seeing pics from the dinner and crow you enjoyed with your friends :thumb
    Dualsport4ever and Joe Motocross like this.
  3. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Coal country.
    day7 - 28.jpg

This is a tributary of a river that I would’ve had to cross to get to Wally’s camp if I stayed on the usual routes. No dice right now.
    day7 - 29.jpg

I arrived at the camp and Wally issued me a chair!! Hey, I’m not a “chair hater”. I actually like a good quality chair. But, as you know, I don't think they belong on a dirt bike.
    day7 - 30.jpg

We had cocktails enjoying the views while sitting in chairs.
    day7 - 31.jpg

We got ready for dinner and started a fire. Wally’s girlfriend didn’t like us using a little gasoline as a firestarter. She called us “rednecks”. If she only knew the half. I was thinking to myself “shit, I knew I shoulda packed some of that Roost Relief”.
    day7 - 32.jpg

We sat around in chairs and enjoyed the bounty of the Adjustafork and some more crow ON ICE!
    day7 - 33.jpg
    scudo, forgorin, yakawars59 and 13 others like this.
  4. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    You guys are nuts. Seriously.
    jays100 and Blaise W like this.
  5. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A chair and ice. SMH.
    Foiler likes this.
  6. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, they are for my riding buds, and will be great around the camp fire! I see they are on the way; that was fast!!! However, we prefer High West in our cups!
  7. Mach 1

Mach 1 It'll go or it won't Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey nutcase you inspired me and I'm committed, now I'm hooked. Sent you a DM
    Joe Motocross and mbogage like this.
  8. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Holy carp man, that's a killer shot. Not looking for site intel, but with the fire ring and RV in the shot, appears to be an actual campground. If so, I'd say it's a great campground to offer views like that - effin' spectacular. And if you're not sharing it with a whole $hit-ton of idiots, even better.

:lol3 :lol3 You meant there's another way to start a fire? Newspaper's great, but so much work to get things going. A little 2-stroke fuel and we have a blaze going in no time. And I like the smell of some 2-stroke mixed with doug fir or pine, at least right off the bat.

Taking my adjusta-forks out for their first foray in the wild this weekend, albeit not in minimalist fashion as it's a family camping weekend on the dirt bikes. Hell, it's more like the antithesis of minimalist...chairs, tables, tent trailer, etc. But, I want our boys to love the woods as much as we do.

Keep the updates coming @Joe Motocross, great stuff :thumb
    Joe Motocross, cprbusa and chudzikb like this.
  9. CJohn

CJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with Joe Less intel the better !
    There is lots of places to make own little campground if know where to look, BLM lands, National Forests etc.. that allow dispersed camping. Just don’t abuse it and clean up after yourselves , don’t wanna give the Feds and libs more reasons to close the areas to off-road / camping , hunting than they already have.
    outbacktm, Foiler, NoelJ and 3 others like this.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    This day would prove to be another one of my favorites. A definite theme was emerging. The best days were the days I had no agenda. No place to be, no one to go meet, just ride and end up where ever.

My first stop (50 yards from camp) was to chat with these Adventure Riders and see what their story was. They were doing day rides. They were keeping it real with a couple of older bikes, DR, XR, blue jeans and a newer bastardized Africa Twin.
    day8 - 1.jpg

I was eyeing up the Africa Twin and started noticing the custom mods. DIY adventure pegs.
    day8 - 2.jpg

And check out the custom pipe he bolted on from the auto parts store. I’m pretty sure he said he dropped 30 lbs with this mod! I forget the details but he stated the stock pipe was like lead.
    day8 - 3.jpg

I was near a complex of single track so I decided to ride them as I continued my general direction which was actually unknown.
    day8 - 4.jpg

I rolled out of camp light. No extra water, ½ tank fuel, no extra food. This meant maximum bike performance and I was hitting anything I wanted.
    day8 - 5.jpg

Loads of single track in this zone.
    day8 - 6.jpg
    scudo, Magus, MYUMPH and 12 others like this.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    There were a few technical “chundery” sections.
    day8 - 7.jpg

The single track went past this rock and my camera did a great job of focusing on it.
    day8 - 8.jpg

The trail followed this bench for a bit.
    day8 - 9.jpg

Then up a small wash.
    day8 - 10.jpg

It climbed up this little steep section which I got to ride twice since I decided to photograph it.
    day8 - 11.jpg

The trail goes up the hill which you can see and then it bangs to the left and climbs up that knife edge ridge. I generally ride it the other direction when I’m doing day rides in this area. I have ridden it on occasion in the direction I was going this day and I remember it being a little spicy. The knife edge ridge climb didn’t disappoint in the excitement department and demanded some concentration.
    day8 - 12.jpg

What I’d kinda forgot about was the couple of moves after the hillclimb. Once I got to them, I remembered that they weren’t just “gimmies”. I had to get off the bike and go check this before hitting it.
    day8 - 13.jpg

A section of big whoops!! Even though I was rolling light, the camp gear really limits how hard you can hit this stuff.
    day8 - 14.jpg

Then I came to this move which I don’t remember being quite so challenging. I had to get off the bike and walk this one also before punching it. This is about borderline as far as the stuff I’m willing to do when I’m out solo. The obvious issue is that when you’re solo, there is zero room for error.
    day8 - 15.jpg
  12. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More great pics. I really appreciate the time you take to set up and get them. And the notes about riding alone cautiously - I turned two leg bones into seven leg bones a couple years ago...alone. It was exciting while I waited for that cell phone connection! And a long summer of sitting around.
    todd83-900t likes this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I was seriously having a lot of fun setting up these shots. I was getting a routine down so I wouldn't spend much time. I'd stop, set up the camera, ride the section and loop back, grab the camera without getting back off the bike and on I'd go.
    Yep, comes with the territory. I've blown up a couple of times also.
    Shaggie likes this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    After getting through the more challenging sections the trail eased up and was just fun easy riding.
    day8 - 16.jpg

It was winding through a convoluted section of rocks.
    day8 - 17.jpg

Tons of fun stuff to jump off!
    day8 - 18.jpg

There was a little water down in the wash which felt good to splash through. It was getting hot.
    day8 - 19.jpg

The wash opened up for some high speed cornering.
    day8 - 20.jpg

It was mid day now and to the point where I needed to find some shade for a break. I’d had a GREAT morning of riding and now I needed to assess what to do next. I needed gas, food, water and had another fork to ship so I guess I was headed to town.
    day8 - 21.jpg
    scudo, mnTwin, forgorin and 19 others like this.
  15. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice touch with the BW picture!
  16. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Super classy. Nice KTM chair ad.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  17. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are really nailing it now! Your ride report is really flowing. Going solo is often my preference but you’re dead on, adds a whole new factor to the adventure - both a good one and and a new level of caution.

Packing ‘the fork’ has to give a man confidence he can take on whatever comes his way too
  18. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing how varied the rocks are when viewed up close. From a distance it seems like they're just different colors. Do you run across much wildlife as you ride, or are they mostly nocturnal?
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Shit was really coming together for me, for sure.
    Prong horns, deer, big horn sheep, bear, bison, moose, elk, two types of rabbit, coyote, fox, utah prairie dog, pack rat, snakes, and birds like raven, crow, eagle, hawk, blue heron, and probably a bunch more stuff I'm not thinking about right now.
    youtalkintome? likes this.
  20. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Fackin' awesome @Joe Motocross, killer sections of single track and the action selfies were great. That steep section you climbed solo...damn. Just curious, but what would you estimate the incline at? Looks like a "nice" rock ledge to get past at the top too.

Great update and you kept the business rollin' too...lol.

Looking forward to seeing where you camped and what was thrown on the adjustafork for dinner :nod :nod