Desert Minimalism: Springtime Adjustafork Odyssey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 6, 2019.

1. ExplorerFrog

ExplorerFrog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the tumbleweed!
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Fork yeah Liv!! The camp did not disappoint. No clue what the incline was like. Steep enough to make you think. Definitely a bit "stair steppy".
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    It was hot. At the post office I was hunkered down in the shade on the lawn when this dude pulls up and says to me “I’ve got a whole tank full of fresh water. I bet you’d like to dunk your head under it!” Hell yes I would! Are you kidding me? The heavens were looking down at this ADV-F Profit and things were really coming together for me.
    day8 - 26.jpg

I remembered a remote camp I’d used a number of years ago so I took some trails headed that way. After an hour or so I was there. $$
    Day8a - 1.jpg

I set up my chair and cooled off. When you run minimalist, you don’t have a change of clothes to get into. Like I said earlier, the guys don’t like it when I do this but they weren’t around. Another plus to being solo. Time for a swim!!
    day8 - 30.jpg

I washed my gear in the river and hung it up to dry which took no more than an hour.
    day8 - 29.jpg

What a perfect day. I was overindulging on the Crow while getting some coals ready. Please note that my chair not only weighs literally nothing but I submit that it is actually more comfortable than those crappy little folding camp chairs. This was such a relaxed and satisfying setting and just think, I really had no extra gear along to make it happen. Again, you'd be amazed at what you don't need.
    day8 - 31.jpg

I was just taking it all in. The new leaves on the Cottonwoods were vibrant. A few clouds made the sky spectacular. It was a gorgeous place to camp.
    day8 - 32.jpg

After a while, a couple of side by sides came by. They stopped and all got out to enjoy the evening for a quick minute. They lived in the town I had gone through and were out for a little afterwork cruise.
    day8 - 34.jpg

Next it was dinner on the Adjustafork! I went with burgers this night. I grabbed some string cheese to put on them and raided the condiments at the gas station. My mouth is watering thinking back about these! I grabbed a salad at the store to go with the burgers.
    Day8a - 2.jpg

I wrapped them in tortillas and put them back over the coals for a couple of minutes. I ate one and wrapped the other one for lunch the next day. I was drunk by then. I enjoyed the fire for a bit and then passed out under the stars. It was another perfect ADV-F day.
    Day8a - 3.jpg
    scudo, theailer, forgorin and 28 others like this.
  4. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In hindsight [get it?] it's a good thing you brought the Chucks - keeps you from violating the no-nudity policy here.
    garfey and dano619 like this.
  5. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My eyeballs will never be the same again :lol2
    RedDogAlberta and liv2day like this.
  6. borderxx

borderxx ifalldown

Oddometer:
    Man, you've covered some ground. Do you (loosely) plan your route around specific towns and stops for gas/food, or just look for the nearest restock source at some point in the day wherever the trail takes you? Me, I'd have run out of gas three times by now, as trails like that seem to lure me out further and further. Ranch roads always have a friendly pickup truck come by after a while, but remote singletrack not so much. I'd be putting some miles on those Converses. I'm a decent "seat of the pants" offroad navigator, but the penalty for error is pretty large with the heat and lack of water in that area.
  7. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure if there's a better camp spot in this report, but that's a tough call given how many killer spots you've shown. And along with @BornAgain, I'm trying to figure out how to poke my mind's eye out. Did you surprise those SxS peeps swinging in the wind when they pulled up, or were you kind enough to throw some cover on :lol3 :lol3

Perfect place to kick back and enjoy Crow while getting the fire going - idyllic if I might be so bold.

Question on cooking the burgers - how'd you keep them from falling through the tines? I'm a bit of a burger fan myself and use breadcrumbs and an egg (or two) when mixing the patties together. They hold together decently on a grill, but there isn't as much space between bars. Would like to try that, but don't want my patty falling into the damn fire/coals.

Regardless, looks delish man. There's NOTHING like a burger cooked over an open fire/coals (though actually, steaks, chicken, fish...pretty much anything cooked over fire is better than anything else :D).

Great update @Joe Motocross, even with your white arse mixed in :rofl:rofl
    nzrian likes this.
  8. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Great update and that camping spot is what I live for. BTW, thank you for not making the quoted pick into an "action shot". :lol3
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  9. Davidjohnson

Davidjohnson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forking hilarious. Perhaps a naked female jogger shows up on the next installment.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sorry about that. I knew it wasn't going to be pleasant but I needed to use this as another example of the extent that Adventure Rider Fundamentalists go to to keep it simple and pack light. If you are hot there is no simpler way of cooling of than taking off layers. Extra shorts and t-shirts for around camp are unneeded luxuries.
    yakawars59 likes this.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yes, loosely. However, I run a 5 gallon tank and I'll fill it if I have doubts about where I'll end up. You can count on 200 miles with 5 gallons and that'll pretty much get you from gas station to gas station most anywhere in the west.
    borderxx likes this.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Through years of R&D the Adjustafork development division has determined a maximum width not to be exceeded between tines to support burgers. Burgers are crucial to the ADV-F movement.
  13. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I was sitting in a boring, long meeting at work today... wedged in between two female co-workers... when I decide to check messages and see if there any ADV updates... your photo was the first thing that splashed across the large screen of my iphone+.
    Foiler likes this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Um, yeah. Awkward. Did they buy the whole ADV-F thing when you tried to explain it at lunch?
    Bullseye likes this.
  15. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lunch?!?! Funny, my female co-workers said they had suddenly lost their appetites!
    Foiler likes this.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
    Bullseye likes this.
  17. Pcq

Pcq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hahaha! One of the best reads in the entire forum!

This thread has me salivating thinking about desert riding the 500 exc that is waiting in California, and the smell of grilled meats straight off a campfire!

I must now therefore order an adjustafork..how does one go about that??

Btw any luck harpoon fishing with it yet? Seems like the ultimate in river to mouth adv fundamentalism
    Foiler, dano619 and Piggdekk like this.
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Not supposed to promote the Adjustafork here but I bet you can figure out how to get one.

Day 9
    Same same. Build a fire, brew croffee, roost.
    Day9 - 1.jpg

The beef was not happy with me taking over their watering hole. They were crowding me this morning.
    Day9 - 2.jpg

This bastard was half nuts as far as I could tell. His horns were all broken off. He kept coming into my camp and stomping his front hooves making all kinds of noise and then grinding his head into the sand and throwing it all over the place. I finally had enough and hopped onto my bike and herded him away.
    Day9 - 3.jpg

My route started out following the river.
    Day9 - 4.jpg

It climbed up onto some rolling hills and I was feeling good!
    Day9 - 5.jpg

I continued on the dirt bike trail for a ½ hour or so.
    Day9 - 6.jpg

It snaked back down near the river. More beef.
    Day9 - 7.jpg

Then it went through this nice little campsite which is a favorite for car camping and day riding.
    Day9 - 8.jpg

Then into a wash. Sorry folks, it’s the same old shit day after day.
    Day9 - 9.jpg
    scudo, mnTwin, Plebeian and 23 others like this.
  19. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The same old shit is looking pretty awesome from this angle!
  20. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, I see a chair in that photo? Can't be easy to transport that log with you, can it?