Desert Minimalism: Springtime Adjustafork Odyssey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 6, 2019.

1. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, the mighty Green River (I assume). If I remember right, the temp of that river hovers near "scared-turtle" even during the summer. I measure water temp by, umm, certain appendages. No need for a thermometer...keeping it minimalist and all.
    Foiler and Bullseye like this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Hahahahaha! Yeah, my swim was more of a quick splash at this time of the season!! Lots of snow feeding the river right now.
    Bullseye likes this.
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Lord I miss Utah.

I too will be watching for the nude female jogger.
  4. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    And it’s deep too!
  5. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    :photog
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I reached my cache of Adjustaforks under the rocks and grabbed two to ship. This left 4 at the cache. They’re still out there. If you can find them, you can have them but you have to let me know the cache is empty!!
    Day9 - 10.jpg

I figured out I could score packing material by “dumpster diving” behind the various post offices. I wrapped up two more forks and sent them on their way.
    Day9 - 11.jpg

My buddy Drey Dog got a hold of me and wanted to ride along for a couple of days. We decided we’d meet in Moab at Zaniac’s place. So, I started working my way that direction.
    Day9 - 12.jpg

It was a pretty standard day. Good atv and motorcycle trails.
    Day9 - 13.jpg

Then I hit the perimeter of the Moab junkshow. I still have half a days ride from here. I was not looking forward to hitting Moab especially at this time of the year which is very busy. But, I accepted my fate and got it set in my mind that I wasn’t going to let the crowds get to me.
    Day9 - 14.jpg

Next I hit some small dunes.
    Day9 - 15.jpg

I was following atv and jeep roads at this point. I noticed dark clouds building to my west.
    Day9 - 16.jpg

I picked up the pace a little as the convective shower activity was continuing to build to the west. Looking east, everything looked just fine!
    Day9 - 17.jpg
    scudo, mnTwin, forgorin and 18 others like this.
  7. Davidjohnson

Davidjohnson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude. You’re covering some major acreage. Way better than a “BDR”.
    Joe Motocross and mntdawg like this.
  8. yakawars59

yakawars59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very entertaining tales you tell of your adventures. The encounter with the pissed off bull had me cracking up. You certainly know how to extract the most fun and enjoyment out of life.
    Keep it up dude!:beer
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  9. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    been following along. since the start - good fun.
    any snake stories, old or new?

:pot :loaded
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    This is how you really discover the backcountry.

That is the ultimate goal and right now I find that riding motorcycles and sleeping in the dirt accomplishes that goal. I'm here for a good time, not a long time!

They startle me once in a while when I'm not expecting them but we have an agreement to not be to bothered with each other. Some guys are deathly afraid of them. My buddy is one of them. A guy we got to know named Roy used to run the broken down gas station at Woodside. He had a 10 foot Boa in an aquarium next to the front door. My buddy was leaning up against the aquarium unaware of it's tenant until we pointed down. My buddy didn't think that was too funny. We did.
    yakawars59, yamalama and Yinzer Moto like this.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I like to just cruise two tracks where I can look around and really get into the big picture.
    Day9 - 18.jpg

I was just having a jolly ol’ time!
    Day9 - 19.jpg

It’s hard to beat the contrast of the redrock cliffs and the La Sal mountains.
    Day9 - 20.jpg

I looked back to the west and was pleased by the level of intensity that I saw. Not so much with the looming rain but the terrain between me and my house which sits on the backside of the snow capped mountain range. There was 160 miles (as the old crow flies) of mind blowing terrain between me and home.
    Day9 - 21.jpg

Then out of nowhere, this jackass almost takes me out!! I’m cruising this wide graded road when he comes flying onto it without even looking to see if anyone is coming. I have both brakes locked up and my heart is in my throat. We don’t collide. I throw up one of my hands in the “what the fuck was that” gesture. I see his wife’s head snap toward him and her mouth is moving fast. I let it go. I expect this shit around Moab but I secretly hoped she made him miserable for the rest of the day.
    Day9 - 22.jpg

I took the least popular routes I know into Moab.
    Day9 - 23.jpg

People who follow the ADV-F principles always look to be on dirt over pavement even if it’s just a quad track next to the pavement.
    Day9 - 24.jpg

The area is popular for a reason. I mean, it’s mind blowing. I was headed down this canyon.
    Day9 - 25.jpg
    scudo, mnTwin, Will Rogers and 23 others like this.
  12. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know most folks can't really appreciate how big the USA really is. Even most of those living on the east coast don't really grasp the size and openness of the American southwest. Joe your photos certainly do justice to beauty of the southwest. Your a regular Ansel Adams:clap
    yakawars59 and outbacktm like this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's pretty amazing to be looking at something that is a couple hundred miles away from you. Not many places east of Colorado where you get that.
  14. SlowMovinDream

SlowMovinDream Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Oddometer:
    Wow. This is just a really fun report to read. Just the right balance and combination of information , humor , excellent photography , general b.s. , and bravado . I have got to come visit this area . You are fortunate to have such a playground in your back yard . Thanks for sharing your experience with us .
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The road cuts through some really neat territory down into the canyon.
    Day9 - 26.jpg

The canyon widens up as I approach the river.
    Day9 - 28.jpg

Now there’s no options except about 15 miles of pavement to Zaniac’s. It’s a nice cruise though. The clouds continue to chase me.
    Day9 - 29.jpg

I make it to Zaniac’s just as the wind really increased. I looked at the radar. Yup, just made it before the convective shower hit. It rained hard for a short time so I passed out on the front porch for a few minutes and let the rain pass.
    Day9 - 30.jpg

Zaniac has a great little sanctuary right in the middle of Moab. You wouldn’t even know you were a stone’s throw away from the chaotic main street. Drey Dog showed up in his box truck.
    Day9 - 31.jpg

He was showing me a new little pack raft he’d picked up recently and was going to use this spring. The beer and crow started flowing and we made a loose plan for the direction that we’d go the next day.
    Day9 - 32.jpg

Zaniac wasn’t home. He and his wife were out on a big bike ride with another friend of theirs. His wife is an awesome rider also. We didn’t feel like we should build a fire in Zaniac’s driveway without him being home so we fired up the grill. It was a full spread! Chicken, asparagus, corn and bacon wrapped shrimp on the Adjustafork to boot!!!
    Day9 - 33.jpg
    scudo, mnTwin, Shaggie and 25 others like this.
  16. Mach 1

Mach 1 It'll go or it won't Supporter

Oddometer:
    From son of Mach1 Joel,
    I love your post about your dirt bike and I ride 125 thump star.Can’t wait to ride with you.

This’s from my son. He thinks your rides are awesome and so do I. One day we would love to hook up and ride. Fuckin send it dude!
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Hahahahaha! That is awesome. ADV-R in training!! Thanks for sharing that.
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The trail from Zaniac’s to the main street.
    Day10 - 1.jpg

Our loose plan was to go meet a group of people we know who were camped at a very popular mountain bike destination. This would put us onto a section of trail that I had already ridden once during this trip with Zaniac. Drey Dog wanted to hit it as he hadn’t been on it for a while. Fine by me, I’ll ride 100 miles of singletrack again. The camp we were headed to is a huge group camp zone which is definitely not our style but we’d adapt for a night. We exit the Moab scene.
    Day10 - 2.jpg

Solid riding.
    Day10 - 4.jpg

From here on we wouldn’t see anyone else on the trails for the rest of the day.
    Day10 - 5.jpg

We covered some ground to start. It was going to be a 150 mile day or so.
    Day10 - 6.jpg

Drey Dog only has a 3.5 G tank on so he needed to fuel up. We knew we’d be able to beg supplies from our friends at camp so we were rolling light especially Drey Dog who only had his sleeping bag, pad and adjustafork on the back fender.
    Day10 - 7.jpg

Soon we were onto the singletrack and we’d be on it for the rest of the day.
    Day10 - 8.jpg

Lots of action!!

Day10 - 9.jpg
    scudo, mnTwin, Shaggie and 19 others like this.
  19. 2002maniac

2002maniac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 11 pages into this report and check out the targeted ads im seeing! ROFL. Great report as always Joe!

Screenshot_20190610-121735_Chrome.jpg
  20. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    well I made it all the way to page 9 before I had to pull out of here and hit e-bay. Ordered 3 of your zombie stabbing AdjustaForks. Why 3? because it's better than 1 or 2.

(and they are going to make a perfect gift for just the right couple guys i ride with)...

Keep writin' ; I'm gonna keep readin'.
    jays100 and dano619 like this.