1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Desert Minimalism: Springtime Adjustafork Odyssey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Davidjohnson

Davidjohnson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joe Moto, glad you set the tone up front and shut down all of the back and forth on certain tube systems. Very wise as that crap gets old and contaminates these types of good threads.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Facking flats, I hate facking flats - empathize with the frustration man. I would've folded well before you did and thrown the spare tube in, the energy expended pulling the wheel off, getting the tube out, etc, is a serious drain on the fun factor. I know this might surpass the minimalist approach, but have you considered one of these: Enduro Star Stand ? It wouldn't add much to your travel kit and would save you from digging holes or finding the right size rock, milk crate, etc. I hate to use it, but holy crap is it better than trying to find something to get the bike elevated.

A couple of killer pics from this update @Joe Motocross! I really like the one quoted and there's another shot of you riding the wash with the canyon walls along side...stellar man :thumb :thumb

Catching up, look forward to reading how things roll after getting back to your truck and getting your g/f :ricky :ricky
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  3. dhawker

dhawker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whats your thinking on going with the 18" front tire over the standard 21"? Is it a desert and sand thing? Is it just a rear rim on a front hub?
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    F*cking awesome @Joe Motocross, here's to that :beer

Great pics and so cool to have your g/f with you. Started riding with my wife when she was my g/f (17 years ago now) and have enjoyed the hell out of it. She's not into the crazy single track I enjoy, nor the long adv days, but there's still something great about sharing it.

Looking forward to catching up on page 27 :thumb
    ColumboNH and Joe Motocross like this.
  5. EP Chris

EP Chris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tube sealant? I use Ride-On which has saved me numerous times. Cleans up with water, never had any issues.
  6. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    That's cool you know Don. Yeah, we were out in a bad place for a downpour. The rain/hail might have lasted 10 minutes, that's it. REALLY close to having to walk out. It rained a bit more on our way out but we made it. Just barely.

10 4 on that. Some folks like one product, others prefer different products. Flats generally aren't a big deal. This was an odd situation.
    More cushion, more float. Super fun in deep sand and really adds another level of suspension to the bike through the really choppy/rocky stuff. Rear rim strung onto a front hub.

Haven't tried it. Again, generally I don't have too many issues with flats. If it were a big deal for me, I'd be looking for alternatives.
    mnTwin, benedikt.m and Nick MN like this.
  7. SlowMovinDream

SlowMovinDream Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was the 70s and 80s that I remember them as well. I remember those big tubes too. Those were great .
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We were mainly following jeep routes that were bringing us through all sorts of varied terrain. We were just taking random turns not really trying to get anywhere.
    day13 - 9.jpg

There were a few little technical sections.
    day13 - 10.jpg

And lots of easy stuff through gorgeous settings. These days would be the hottest of the trip. We were in our full summer gear.
    day13 - 11.jpg

Later in the day, we thought it would be wise to ride in a direction where we could find a camp with some wood nearby. There was plenty of vegetation down this wash but we weren’t ready to call it a day just yet.
    day13 - 12.jpg

There was quite a bit of water as we rode down the wash. It had been a wet spring.
    day13 - 13.jpg

The trail continued down along the wash. It was like a lush oasis down in there.
    day13 - 14.jpg

There were some sections of DEEP sand! Hot Stuff just kept on the gas like she was taught to do.
    day13 - 15.jpg

We climbed out of the wash. We still had some daylight left to ride but there was no wood in sight now. We figured we could double back and camp in the wash if necessary. I had an idea for a zone where we’d find a campsite with some firewood so we headed that way.
    day13 - 16.jpg

We hopped onto a motorcycle specific trail. The day was really coming together. The territory in the background is super convoluted with canyons, rivers and cliffs although you wouldn't really know it by looking at it from this perspective. It almost looks flat.
    day13 - 17.jpg
    mnTwin, Hans Petter, scudo and 19 others like this.
  9. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adjustafork used as a bikestand? How clever.
  10. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 8.44.51 AM.png
    scudo, ChicoProf, Zubb and 3 others like this.
  11. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Effin' awesome @Joe Motocross!

Forgot to ask after the maintenance post - did you end up tossing the tube that kept going flat? Or figure out why the damn thing kept letting you down?

Scenery is killer and that looks to be a perfect comb day of riding some technical stuff, flowing 2-track, deep sand, fun in the wash, and even a water crossing.

Looking forward to the next update and where you guys ended up camping :thumb :thumb
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    This route would snake down to a river where we’d look for a camp. In the meantime, we’d just enjoy the riding some more!
    day13 - 18.jpg

The trail dropped into another wash and started to narrow up and get a little technical.
    day13 - 19.jpg

Now it really narrowed up. There was quite a bit of water in it. We were hoping we didn’t come to a pool that was impassable.
    day13 - 20.jpg

We kept dropping down through little techy sections. Nothing we couldn’t climb back out if we had to.
    day13 - 21.jpg

We were really having fun through this section. There’s something neat about being down in these little slot canyons on a bike.
    day13 - 22.jpg

We kept dropping down and the pools were getting larger.
    day13 - 23.jpg

This one had a deep hole! We wouldn’t have wanted it much deeper or it would’ve been a stopper.
    day13 - 24.jpg
    mnTwin, scudo, ChicoProf and 20 others like this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Cool. I'd take a set with box ends. Maybe I'll just have to weld some of my own.
    benedikt.m likes this.
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Damn man, that's damn near up to the air box :eek7 :eek7

Super cool to be able to ride through those narrow canyons like that, crazy to see that much water there (had it recently rained, or had the water been around for awhile?).

Bet it felt great with the hot temps. Imagine it'd be a completely different story if rain was falling - be cool to see the water rip through there...assuming you're above it :nod

Cool pics, I need to go for a ride :ricky
  15. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Those narrow slots & pools don't leave much room to share with the snakes...?
    slackline likes this.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you're trying to bait me or if you're serious but either way, that's freaking funny.
    slackline likes this.
  17. KLRalph

KLRalph Because KTMalph sounds funny

Oddometer:
    This route would snake down to a river where we’d look for a camp....

This is why I'm on advrider!
  18. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks like Dead Cow or Tubes in the White Wash area.
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The wash continued but we were past the deep holes at this point.
    day13 - 25.jpg

Then we got spit out at the bottom. We were treated to huge sandstone walls and gorgeous blooming flowers.
    day13 - 26.jpg

The trail worked its way near the river bottom. We continued along it looking for a suitable campsite.
    day13 - 27.jpg

Very nice riding. We’d had a great day.
    day13 - 28.jpg

We came into a section with big whoops. We couldn’t ease up just yet, we obviously weren’t quite done!
    day13 - 29.jpg

We worked through some more whoops and it looked like we were coming up on a zone where we could camp.
    day13 - 30.jpg
  20. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    By picture #3 Hot Stuff looks to be quite fearless and incredibly capable.