Desert Minimalism: Springtime Adjustafork Odyssey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 6, 2019.

1. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    All I know is as I read the latest installment of this awesome SAO ride report on my work break, YOU SUCK JM :lol3
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Pretty recognizable.
    She's an incredible athlete. Holds her own on a dirt bike. Super strong mountain biker and backcountry skier also. I do have to ride her bike on some of the most technical rocky climbs but I have to do that for some of the guys also! :D
    I've come to realize that not everyone on the planet is going to like me and I'm ok with that. I ride dirt bikes. A lot. :flip
  3. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to say something snarky and irreverent, but nothing came to mind.

Loving this RR... Probably the best thing I've ever read. Period.
    dano619 likes this.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Joe Motocross - you've posted some seriously killer photos throughout this report, but I think the image linked above is one of the best. Sheer sandstone cliff with purple wildflowers and a trail of single track with a rider bombing along - effin' fantastic :-) :-)

I bet camping along the river was perfect, and let me guess - no one around for miles and miles?

Great update amigo :thumb
    karter18, Joe Motocross and yamalama like this.
  5. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Well in July I'll be out in UT too (with no f'ing chair!) and working on being more disliked on this :D
    Husky IMG_7479.JPEG
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I'm liking you a little bit more. I think you might be ok.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Bingo! Nice chunk of sandstone and a bunch of dead Juniper! Freaking perfect camp.
    day13 - 31.jpg

Like I said, Hot Stuff embraces ADV-F. When you’re a fundamentalist, you cool off by taking your clothes off. I was naked taking this photo and no one was bitching at us for being nude. Another plus for traveling with your partner.
    day13 - 32.jpg

It started to cool off and we put our clothes back on and started the fire. We were totally enjoying this camp.
    day13 - 33.jpg

We fixed up our cups with some beans and set them on the fire.
    day13 - 34.jpg

Next, we whipped out the Adjustaforks. Bacon wrapped turkey and some kielbasa.
    day13 - 35.jpg

We went with pork and beans this night. The key is to fortify them. We added jalapenos, onion and some other peppers. This really makes a plain can of pork and beans quite deluxe!
    day13 - 36.jpg

Easy living. No plates needed. No knife or fork. Just eat right off the Adjustafork. Simple. There is just no easier way to cook and eat meat. This is Adventure Rider Fundamentalism.
    day13 - 37.jpg

With all the wet weather there were toads out everywhere. They were loud!!!
    day13 - 38.jpg

We threw our sleeping bag out under the stars and called it a night. Man, what a perfect day!!
    day13 - 39.jpg
    mnTwin, scudo, Malamute and 32 others like this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Pretty predictable. Nothing new here folks. Fire, croffee, enjoy the campsite a bit. Hot Stuff fully approves of cowboy coffee and she is dead serious about a good hot cup of black coffee which is a serious testimony to cowboy style coffee.
    day14 - 1.jpg

Another bonus of traveling with your partner is you can share the gear and divy up the load making things even more minimal. I had the two man sleeping bag. She took the pads and a rain fly and wrapped everything in a ground cloth. Lots of shelter in a compact unit.
    day14 - 2.jpg

Then we started roosting!!! The first part of the day was moto specific trails.
    day14 - 3.jpg

We were rolling through super fun sections!! Weather was perfect at this point.
    day14 - 4.jpg

The trails were super fun and we were covering good ground also. Hot Stuff was on it!!
    day14 - 5.jpg

Sand can be your worst enemy or can be very enjoyable. They key is more gas and don’t hold on so tight. Let the bike wander a bit. Hot Stuff has it down. Judging by the wiggly track in the photo, someone was fighting it. Gotta relax in this stuff.
    day14 - 6.jpg
    mnTwin, scudo, crashkorolyk and 26 others like this.
  9. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    great report and photos joe, thanks for taking us along.

best regards,

johnnyg
  10. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you need to change it from ADV-F to ADV-AF because you guys are ADV as fuck.. Sharing gear, minimalist, no chairs, Adjusta-zombie killer, the whole nine...

I've never ridden in the sand in Utah, is it just pure sand or is it a hybrid of silt and sand? I've ridden plenty of Baja Sand, but that orange stuff is trippy..
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We hopped onto some two tracks so we could cover some ground. It was getting hot and we wanted some air movement also.
    day14 - 7.jpg

We had a rough idea of where we wanted to camp this night which was quite a distance away so we continued on the faster two tracks.
    day14 - 8.jpg

Same old shit. Lots of little things to jump off.
    day14 - 9.jpg

We were getting closer to town at this point but wanted to stop off at a little attraction.
    day14 - 10.jpg

This is a geyser that randomly shoots water into the air.
    day14 - 11.jpg

It only goes off once in a while and kind of rare to actually see but it’s still a worthy stop just for the colors and formations it makes.
    day14 - 12.jpg

Yeah, it was warm.
    day14 - 13.jpg
    mnTwin, scudo, crashkorolyk and 15 others like this.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Mostly pure sand. I think you'd like it if you like Baja.
    Cabrito likes this.
  13. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may have missed it -what time of year are the pics from? Last month? It looks HOT to a guy from the NE, but in some pics you guys are dressed pretty well!
  14. DCrider

Oddometer:
    And what sort of body & knee armor are you wearing?
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Early to mid May. It's usually a good mix of temperatures from low 60s to mid 80s.
    Nothing fancy. Just standard Thor or Rocky Mtn ATV two-strap knee pads and a cheap mesh upper bady armor dealy.
    DCrider likes this.
  16. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Effin' killer @Joe Motocross, great capture of you launching off those rocks (was that action selfie, or HS behind the lens?) and that place you stopped with the geyser looks super cool. Didn't realize there was geothermal active stuff there? Hot water coming out of the geyser when it goes off?

Dig the pics and update man, looking forward to seeing where you two ended up on this leg :thumb :thumb
  17. SlowMovinDream

SlowMovinDream Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Oddometer:
    Stellar Report. Top of my reading list.
    mbogage and Joe Motocross like this.
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    H.S. on the camera there @liv2day. Really fun morning.

We made it into town. First task, gasoline and water.
    day14 - 14.jpg

Next, Adjustafork supplies.
    9AF96AD6-F279-4135-A72B-0B10A6D7E472.png

This is where we met Jack and The Bird (the bird is Jack’s bike).
    day14 - 16.jpg

I sized up his luggage and noted the road maps and knew Jack was the real deal. We chatted with him about his journey from North Carolina and how he was carrying more than he cared to. He told us about how he was “holed up” in his tent for a day or two until a rain storm passed. Full ADV-F. I wanted to get a picture of him but he declined. I respect that.
    day14 - 15.jpg

I snapped one anyway as he headed out of town. Hope you don’t mind man, we liked your style @CharlesLathe. You guys should check out his thread "Jack and the Bird go riding". Lots of great lunacy there and I especially enjoyed when he fed his not so favorite sister-in-law weevils without her cluing in.
    day14 - 17.jpg

I was doing some minor maintenance in the park and Hot Stuff went and chatted with this character. She asked if he was out for a couple of weeks on his bike. His reply was a couple of years!! He was riding from southern Chile to Alaska. Full ADV-F.
    day14 - 18.jpg

Hot Stuff and I got back to our own ADV-F routine and headed out of town.
    day14 - 19.jpg
    mnTwin, scudo, crashkorolyk and 19 others like this.
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The warm weather steered us away from slow technical trails and into faster routes. We thought it would be a good idea if we gain a little elevation and ride along a bench for the rest of the day.
    day14 - 20.jpg

We worked our way up through a canyon. I love these crazy little cracks in the earth.
    day14 - 21.jpg

After a quick switchback, we were up on the bench. The terrain changed dramatically. It was WIDE open!
    day14 - 22.jpg

The freaking flowers were nuts!!
    day14 - 23.jpg

The route was about perfect for the hot weather. Lots of 3rd and 4th gear stuff. Mind blowing scenery.
    day14 - 24.jpg

We were just cruising through incredible terrain. The county had just recently run a grader over the road and it was totally smooth riding. Just the ticket!! We were thoroughly enjoying it.
    day14 - 25.jpg

The road kept winding around the heads of canyons. We were looking down on terrain far in the distance that we’d been riding through earlier in the day. It was mid afternoon at this point and we had quite a bit of riding ahead still.
    day14 - 26.jpg
  20. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The road was carved into this steep hillside.
    day14 - 27.jpg

It passed one of the more interesting formations that we’d seen for quite some time.
    day14 - 28.jpg

These rocks perched on the pillars got our attention. It looks as if the ground has been eroded away everywhere except directly underneath the rocks. We stared at this wondering what was going on here. This happens to us a lot around this desert.
    day14 - 29.jpg

Then it was into a canyon. Our ride was progressing just how it should.
    day14 - 30.jpg

These narrow canyons provide great shade for a break under the hot sun. We stopped here and chatted and had a snack and basically just took note of our surroundings making sure we realized how lucky we were.
    day14 - 31.jpg

Then on down the canyon. We’ll be back through this route on another ride at some point.
    day14 - 32.jpg

The terrain opened up again and we kept working our way along the bench.
    day14 - 33.jpg
    mnTwin, scudo, crashkorolyk and 19 others like this.