Desert Minimalism: Springtime Adjustafork Odyssey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 6, 2019.

1. yakawars59

yakawars59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In! Nice pics. Looks like a blast so far.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork Chef

Oddometer:
    IMG_5199.jpg

We have no destination in mind for the night. We find a spot and settle in. I pull off my boots and strap the footbeds on with Voile Straps. This is the ultimate in minimalist footwear. We are waiting for the wind to die down a little, as it usually does, but doesn’t seem to be slowing much this evening. We decide to move a short distance to a sheltered spot when the next error occurs. I hop on my bike and forget my Adjustafork is sitting on the back fender no longer strapped down and it bounces off somewhere! Buuuuurrrrt is finding this pretty amusing until I threatened to repo the new fork that I gave him earlier in the day. The sun is setting and after going back and forth, I find the fork off to the side of the road just before the light is gone.
    E731B3C3-F9AC-48E0-851D-BD36EDBFB187.jpeg

Now we are in business with a nice sheltered camp. Next, let’s get the fire going. This brings up the next error and issue I need to resolve: how to install a petcock in my fuel tank which has no place for petcocks? I have a few ideas but any help from you guys would be great. I’m not going to carry a syphon hose btw. We like using a little gas as fire starter. After I got home I sifted through my pack and found this little fitting that I forgot about. Quick release the fuel line and put this in place and hit the starter button for a little fuel.
    fullsizeoutput_7e0.jpeg

However, at the time I forgot I had that little fitting (error #3) so it was up to Buuuuurrrt to get gas from his bike. He was concerned with how much fuel he had and was unwilling to use too much. So he builds “world’s smallest fire” and uses about a thimble full of fuel to get it going. What?! Embarrassing……
    fullsizeoutput_7a3.jpeg

You know what’s next. Out comes the beer and whiskey and next thing you know we’re telling all sorts of lies. At some point we realize that we need to start cooking. This is where Buuuuurrrt takes it to the next level. He whips out a pound of bacon, scallops and brussel sprouts!! We throw the brussels in some tin foil and into the fire to start them cooking. After a while everything gets wrapped in bacon and goes on the Adjustafork.
    fullsizeoutput_7a6.jpeg

I skewer the elk steaks and throw them on.
    fullsizeoutput_7a9.jpeg

After the first course of mind blowing Adjustfork cuisine, freaking Buuuuuurrrrt produces a slab of Ahi Tuna and proceeds to perfectly cook it like it’s business as usual!!! The technique is to pull out VERY hot coals and adjust the fork really low so it’s just above them and quickly cook each side. Wow. Elk, bacon wrapped scallops, Ahi. This was seriously a legendary Adjustafork session.
    fullsizeoutput_7aa.jpeg
    scudo, kenbob, mbanzi and 19 others like this.
  3. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just received my Adjustafork in the mail. Although my wife thinks it is some type of torture device for poking me when I snore, I know better...
    dano619 likes this.
  4. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Very good!! She obviously sees it's versatility. I'd like to see some action shots when it gets used (cooking, not her poking you).
    McCarthy7 likes this.
  5. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    :y0!I'm in!
  6. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally we get to the good stuff! Forget all that boring motorcycle and gear talk, that ho hum landscape, and bring on the Adjust-a-Fork. I mean, that's why we're all really here, right?
    Magus and Joe Motocross like this.
  7. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    Holy shit, that has to be THE most decadent camp meal ever! :lol3

:thumbup
    everready and Ginger Beard like this.
  8. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it has multiple uses. That's a true minimalist tool. :rofl
    Magus and Joe Motocross like this.
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Totally. Buuuurrrrt really nailed it with the seafood and the addition of the elk steaks made for the ultimate desert "surf n turf".
    Skowinski likes this.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We wake up after rock-like sleep, build a fire to get the croffee going (croffee = old crow + coffee) However, at this point I realize error #4 has occurred as I forgot my coffee!!! Buuuurrrrt makes some smart ass comments about how good his coffee is going to taste and it’s a real bummer I don’t have any. Ultimately he shares his small rations.
    fullsizeoutput_7ab.jpeg

Buuuuuuurrrrt claims I was stumbling around and mumbling at the end of the night. I can neither confirm nor dispute this. I did note that my bottle was more empty than his. All I know is the croffee is hitting the spot and we’re about ready to punch it!!
    fullsizeoutput_7ac.jpeg

Perfect weather to start out.
    fullsizeoutput_7cb.jpeg
    scudo, kenbob, forgorin and 20 others like this.
  11. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  12. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    You'd save a ton of weight if you left the wheel shaped backrest at home
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Just good clean desert riding.
    IMG_5212.jpg

Obscure and rarely used BLM roads.
    IMG_5129.jpg

The desert is really green this spring due to the wet winter.
    IMG_5219.jpg
    IMG_5220.jpg

We roll through town for gas, food and water. Jill at the store is overly excited to see us. She loves it when we roll through and chit chat with her at the store. I forgot to get a photo, next time. Now we’re loaded down but not to the point where we can’t have a little fun!!
    IMG_5075.jpg

We need to cover some ground to get to a spot where there’s some wood for cooking tonight. We creep through a section of sandstone that’s slow going.
    IMG_5224.jpg
    IMG_5124.jpg

Next, error #5 occurs. I tried to jam an extra quart of water into the left bag on my bike. It wasn’t quite satisfactory as I noticed that it flexed and rubbed the tire when I took a couple of big hits on the bike. I stopped to adjust when I realized that on one of the hits, the cap on my Old Crow bottle loosened and it all spilled out!! Again, Buuuuurrrt with the comments; “Man, my whiskey is going to taste good tonight. Too bad you don’t have any now.” This was when I came to grips with the fact that I really needed to tighten up my scene before attempting a longer ride.
    IMG_5225.jpg

More action in some washes. We take a break and make a plan for where we want to end up. Oddly enough we have cell phone service and are able to check the CFS flow of a river we want to cross. 15 CFS it reads, totally crossable so we decide to work that direction.
    IMG_5084.jpg

Lots of fun stuff this afternoon.
    IMG_5122.jpg
    scudo, lvscrvs, mbanzi and 18 others like this.
  14. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I so love and miss the Utah desert. Thanks again for taking me there.
    maloryII and Joe Motocross like this.
  15. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Appreciating your ride and, um, communication style.
  16. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :gergI can't figure how you can ride around in that desert environment and your surf and turf don't go raunchy. Perhaps somewhere hidden in that backpack is a cooler AND a chair!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  17. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    What a beautiful place to have in your backyard. As always I'm diggin' the tour!
    MYUMPH and Joe Motocross like this.
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    IMG_5238.jpg

Once we get to the river it is obvious that it is not flowing at 15 CFS. It’s quite a bit higher. This is where error #6 is realized. I look at my phone which still has the webpage with the chart loaded. I take a closer look and realize I’m looking at temperature in C˚ rather than CFS!! I blame it on not using any reading glasses. Buuuurrrt has a hard time buying that one. I’m laughing. He’s shaking his head.
    IMG_5098.jpg

So, the next thing is to decide if we’re going to attempt to still cross it. Buuuuuurrrrt is admittedly nervous which isn’t good. We rochambeau (rock-paper-scissors) to see who has to walk the river to check the depth and Buuuuuurrrrt looses. He tries to claim that I cheated!
    IMG_5094.jpg

Well, it’s up to the top of his knees in one spot. This is about the maximum depth that we’ve been able to successfully ride dirt bikes through a river. The river is flowing pretty good and we’re definitely going to feel it tugging us down stream. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna make it. Buuuuuurrrt is starting to talk about trying to walk his bike. I point out how much lower his carb is below the top of his knees and that he’s gonna fill the engine with water if he tries that stunt. With Buuuuuurrrrt not going into this with confidence and the fact that his carb will be below the water, we decide to abort.
    IMG_5096.jpg

There is shade and a bunch of wood right here so we make ourselves home for the night.
    IMG_5240.jpg

We put some sticks in so we can keep an eye on the river flow and we’ll see if it’s down at all in the morning.
    IMG_5099.jpg

Nothing fancy tonight. Just standard Flank Steaks and vegetable soup. Buuuuurrrrt ends up sharing his Crow and we deem the day a success.

Many people ask this. It’s not too difficult. You need to get gas everyday so this is when we stock up on food also. Beef, chicken or pork from the refrigerator will easily stay good for a day packed in your backpack or luggage. Often we’ll buy frozen meat and it thaws during the day. The seafood and elk was frozen and was still just a bit frozen when we hit camp that night. The flank steak was frozen and was thawed by the time it went on the Adjustafork.
    IMG_5121.jpg

We’re cleaning up in the river when error #7 happens. I set one of my cups down and the river grabs it and takes it under. In my Crow induced haze, I can’t sift around in the murky water quick enough to retrieve it. It’s gone. I’m seriously off my game here.
    IMG_5103.jpg
    scudo, lvscrvs, mbanzi and 10 others like this.
  19. SAM13

SAM13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya know..........if you had rolled that whiskey bottle up in a Helinox chair and surrounded it with the aluminum legs it would have had its own rollcage :jkam.
  20. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put my whisky in a Zip Lock bag, just for such a mishap.

Love your reports.
    maloryII likes this.