Desert Minimalism: Springtime Adjustafork Odyssey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
  2. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Day 15

We had one more morning at camp and a last day of riding ahead. Pretty predictable. Fire. Croffee. Noodles and veggies. Hot Stuff is definitely a great partner out here. Hard to find girls who ride dirt bikes, sleep in the dirt, drink cowboy coffee and are easy on the eyes.
    day15 - 1.jpg

We went through the routine of packing the small amount of gear we use. It’s a pretty simple process especially after two weeks of it.
    day15 - 2.jpg

We rolled out of camp on a sweet trail right through some exquisite wild flowers. It was a warm morning and would be another warm day.
    day15 - 3.jpg

There was a bunch of indian graffiti down in the canyon that we wanted to look at for a few minutes. This is a pretty cool spot because there is graffiti from two different periods. The first style is created by etching into the rock. These are petroglyphs.
    day15 - 4.jpg
    day15 - 5.jpg

The second is created with a dye that is added on top of the rock. These are pictographs.
    day15 - 6.jpg

You gotta wonder what things were like when indian tribes called these canyons home. Intense, no doubt.
    day15 - 7.jpg

We didn’t have a huge day planned to get back to my truck. We were able to ride at a leisurely pace taking routes that interested us rather than trying to hurry and take the fastest route back.
    day15 - 8.jpg

We mixed in a little single track.
    day15 - 9.jpg
    scudo, mnTwin, outbacktm and 23 others like this.
  3. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    License plate pot lids? Those rock drawings are a lot more complex than the ones I’ve seen here in AZ. I’m always amazed at the ability of people to survive in these harsh desert environments. Really enjoy your posts.
    ricko1320 likes this.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's really cool @Joe Motocross! I bet enjoying your croffee with that view was fantastic, perfect way to kick things off for the last day of riding.

Hope you don't mind me adding an image to your thread, but the picture I quoted above made me think of some petroglyphs and I think one pictograph I recently saw on a quick trip out in the OR Outback. Nearly everything we saw when hiking around were petroglyphs, but I was intrigued by the shot below as it was different - didn't know of the difference between the two (petroglyph and pictograph). Based on the similarity of the figures and red hue, makes me wonder if there's a connection from yours in UT and ours in OR (and what it might be).

[​IMG]

Cool update man, looked like fantastic riding :thumb :thumb
  5. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now, lets set the record straight here for those of us following along at home. We enjoy your ride reports and pictures so much because most of us have nothing anywhere near as cool to ride where we live. My buddy and I went out for a short trip on the MABDR, spent the night huddling in our tents as it poured for over 4 hours with the requisite lightning and thunder. Not a fun way to spend time in a tent! You have the weather and the scenery, and that is why we all love it so much! Fair enough? Pictures from the ancients, that is just off the charts!
    WRing FL likes this.
  6. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm bummed this one is coming to an end...
    JT11 and yakawars59 like this.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we recycle. We're the "greenest rednecks" in our county.
    mntdawg likes this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    That's pretty interesting. It definitely has similarities but it looks a bit different to the typical ones we stumble onto. I'm noting a white pigment in your photo along with the more common red. I'm certainly no expert on this stuff but I do really enjoy it when we come onto this stuff especially the sites that are totally random.
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    DUDE!!! Me too!! This was a great ride.
    BISHOP likes this.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Freaking good riding!
    day15 - 10.jpg

We chose a cool route we knew that would take us up a fun wash.
    day15 - 11.jpg

Again, just solid riding.
    day15 - 12.jpg

The route got sandy as it snaked passed some cool sandstone towers.
    day15 - 13.jpg

We stopped to take a break at the top of a rocky climb that the jeep and side by side guys really like. It’s called “Wipeout Hill”. We weren’t intending to go down this but a crew of side by sides came along and stopped. A few of them were going to “dare” to do it. Jokingly, they made some crack about how it was probably easier on a bike. I took the bait and showed them how easy it was. They weren’t expecting that.
    day15 - 14.jpg

I stole these photos from the internet which give a little bit better perspective of the feature. It looks a bit intimidating but bikes roll right up it no sweat.
    day15 - 15.jpg

After some more trail and a few more technical moves, we were almost back to the truck.
    day15 - 16.jpg

We made it. It’s always good to complete the loop without a major hiccup. We got changed, loaded the bikes in the truck and headed for home.
    day15 - 17.jpg
    sick_boy, scudo, mnTwin and 28 others like this.
  11. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer!

Oddometer:
    Bloody fantastic. Love how you roll.
    I have almost scratched the surface around La Sal and Moab on my uber dirty. Not quite.
    So wish I could taste even a little of what you do.
    Respect.
    Pcq and Joe Motocross like this.
  12. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
    Joe, thanks for taking time to take the pictures and post it all up so we could follow along.

Ken
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  13. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    You keep taking your pants off in the hot desert you're going to have more than a redneck :lol3
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Epilogue to follow.
    jays100 and yakawars59 like this.
  15. unit3890

unit3890 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, amazing ride report (your other ones are great as well). Thank you for taking the time to share and post pictures. It would be nice to meet up and ride with you sometime in the future.

How do you feel about sharing your routes with the other inmates?? I'm mainly interested in that long singletrack you rode. You said it about 100 miles? That sounded way too fun, so I had to ask.
    Pcq likes this.
  16. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    So the first thing you do when you get back to the camper is jump in a chair? :D
    forgorin, Sharkdog, WRing FL and 9 others like this.
  17. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    F*cking love it man, great way to wrap the report @Joe Motocross! And honestly, it's good to see you guys kicking back in chairs, makes me feel slightly better about hauling mine about when out on these rides :lol3 :lol3

Thoroughly enjoyed all 30 pages and I'm looking forward to reading the epilogue. You have access to some seriously killer terrain and do a fantastic job of not only capturing images of the adventure, but telling the story that goes along with the adventure. Not sure if we'll ever cross paths or when I'll haul my arse to your neck of the woods, but hope to see future reports.

Appreciate it :thumb :thumb
  18. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to write and post photos. ADV is an amazing place, so many different perspectives and styles in both the riding and the writing.
  19. BISHOP

BISHOP Roadracer goes Dirt

Oddometer:
    It takes a lot of years of extensive recon to navigate this type of country as well as you do. Thanks for taking us along!!

We'll be back in GR in March as always. I'm sure Don will be coming along too. Maybe we'll meet up someday?
  20. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chairs!