Desert Minimalism: Springtime Adjustafork Odyssey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork Chef

Oddometer:
    You fools are cracking me up. Thank you.

You definitely thought wrong........

Glad one person gets it. I generally figure I'm just cracking myself up and no one else.

Like you, I went with the fat 18" for slow speed soft conditions on my 950 Superenduro. Now, I've always loved sand but this really improved the big bike in the slow first gear stuff. I then realized I could try the same rim on my old 520 by swapping spacers. Very cool. Much more predictable in the deep sand. However, what I didn't realize was how it was going to add another whole level of suspension to the front end. I'm very pleased with how it smooths out choppy rocky terrain. This actually may be the best aspect about the big soft 18. I run 4mm tubes front and rear with 6lbs of pressure front and rear.

Love it.

You IDIOT!!! Any a-hole knows you NEVER say shit like that!! That's like asking the innertube gods to dump a box of roofing nails onto your favorite single track!! You're doomed.....
  2. chilejack

chilejack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. chilejack

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should offer an Adjustaspork, weld a spoon on the non-business end. double the versatility!
    Foiler and Joe Motocross like this.
  4. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    It looks like there is an acceptable window for good weather so I’m rolling out in the morning. I have my eye on a low pressure trough that’s going to roll through Sunday into early next week. However, at this time weather models aren’t generating much precip for the zones I’m headed for. We’ll see.

Aside from the gear that I wear and what’s in my daypack, here’s what I’m bringing:
    fullsizeoutput_80e.jpeg

I’m still on the fence about the Chuck Taylors. I pulled the footbeds out and they pack really small but still…. I might throw in a pair of boxers. Being a minimalist I like to run "commando" but it might be good to have something if I need to get out of my riding pants at some point.

The route is still up in the air. I have concerns that there may be snow on the pass that I need to get over. If there is, I could jump onto a highway but I don’t currently have a license plate on my bike so that’s slightly questionable. Still need to figure out how to handle shipping the forks also. I have a few options in mind. As usual, pretty loose agenda.
  5. chilejack

Oddometer:
    Joe, How do you feel about the cornering characteristics of the big tire as compared to the standard 21" front, especially in tight sand washes. Does it tend to oversteer or try to tuck under? I went to a Goldentyre "fatty" on the front which seems more stable in the deep sand but I'm intrigued by that 400X18 you run. I ran a MT43 trals tire on the back for a while but didn't like the lack of grip on the edges. It did float more on top of the sand though rather than dig down like a knobby. I'm thinking maybe one of the soft-compound hybrid ties with some side knobs might be ideal.
  6. Lern 2 Spel

Lern 2 Spel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You got a sleeping bag, bivy, tarp AND pad in there?
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    No, it definitely does not over steam. Not sure if it tucks under because I don’t know what that means. I would like to try a mountain hybred by Motoz. The 120 is too wide but the 110 might do it.
    chilejack likes this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yes. Minimalist. I can help you with the meaning of that word if you need.
    tlrmark likes this.
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    So this is the part where you suckers look at pictures and run your mouth on your keyboard and I ride dirt bikes and drink whiskey! :lol3

I rolled out solo today. I have one cache of 20 Adjustaforks deployed and I’m going to deploy another 20 tomorrow. This should take care of my shipping needs while I am out here. Some classic shit already happened today and tomorrow I am meeting my buddy Inzane who is a total wingnut. The sun just went down and I gotta a build a fire. I’ll check in when I can.
    685CBDC9-35D9-4D90-8EC7-5F58352A81D8.jpeg
  10. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 49 years ago

Oddometer:
    "Tucks under" to me it's when the forks are too soft, springs, dampening, oil level or whatever. You're on the front brakes hard going into a corner and the front dives so hard the steering angle becomes very steep and the front end "tucks under" or I've heard some people say "knives". I'm trying to get my TE300 to do that, then I'll firm it up just enough to prevent "tucks under". More prevalent on Japanese bikes I think.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, that is exactly what I was trying to eliminate on the 950. It definitely does not tuck under.
    Emgo likes this.
  12. Emgo

Oddometer:
    2019-04-18 21_11_52-Window.jpg

Attached Files:

Joe Motocross likes this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    What, you need help with that also @Emgo ?
  14. Emgo

Oddometer:
    Slow internet destroyed my response, see edit above
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Makes no difference. Inzane and I will work on the definition over the next couple days and let you know.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Funny that my phone keeps pinging me when you guys reply and since I’m solo I actually hear it. Also, since I’m solo and have a slight buzz, I am inclined to run my mouth.
    Foiler, jays100 and benedikt.m like this.
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Just got the soup on.
    85A5D82A-F6B1-4C28-B7C6-C017F3DA8673.jpeg
    Foiler, Ginger Beard, mbanzi and 4 others like this.
  18. CJohn

CJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice Fire wish was out there, still ice on the big lakes here in Mn.
  19. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do minimalists carry spoons for their soup, or just use a rock? :)
    powderzone, Ginger Beard and chudzikb like this.
  20. Pinarretta

Pinarretta Wubba Lubba Dub Dub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like he needs an adjustaspork for that soup
    bozmotodual16 likes this.