Desert Minimalism: Springtime Adjustafork Odyssey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 6, 2019.

1. chilejack

chilejack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  2. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you have a dedicated Adjustafork thread. Took my youngest out for a night in the woods. Here's breakfast and dinner. It's your thread, so I won't do my usual full images.

Attached Files:

3. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork Chef

Oddometer:
    Freaking awesome!!! I love to see these things in action and getting used, thanks for sharing!!
  4. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    11 days down. This ride has all the classic shit you'd expect. The remote Adjustafork caches have worked out perfect to keep shipping the orders during the journey. I only screwed up one of them and that dude benefited from my mistake although he may not know it yet.

Got some weather days now with a fairly decent sized storm rolling through. I'm not quite ready to start running my mouth about this trip just yet because there's more riding to be done still.
    fullsizeoutput_8b3.jpeg
  5. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3

Sweet pic, looking forward to reading about all 11 days and then some :-)
  6. Didaho

Didaho Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How are you getting your shots? Go pro on little tripod?
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah, basically. Pocket tripod with a point and shoot camera on a timer or cell phone on the tripod. I have some more thoughts on "action selfies" that I'll get to in a bit.
    Louutah and Ginger Beard like this.
  8. Davidjohnson

Davidjohnson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Minimal cookbook. Fire, whiskey, fish, steak, jalapeños. The end.
  9. McCarthy7

McCarthy7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The beauty shot of voile straps to hold on 500lbs of steel is just money.
    slogger, tlrmark and Joe Motocross like this.
  10. LMSB

LMSB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BIG AIR WALLY! I’ll give you big air, pull my finger....
  11. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    Need to make a crowfee cup total fab from the shop.... I'll do beta testing
  12. chilejack

chilejack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adjustacup!
  13. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    I might’ve missed it but what lengths of those straps are you using
  14. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know you're a minimalist, but I've found the Voile XL strap fits perfectly through the handle on the lid of an MSR Seagull/Alpine Stowaway 1.1L pot (a great pot for the fire by the way). This means it can be strapped on wherever on the bike using a Voile XL strap through the handle for extra security.

I'll try to post a picture later.

Edit to add picture.

Attached Files:

15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Mostly the 25". Also, the XL 32" for the sleeping bags on the back fender.
    derekdeadend likes this.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Looks like a perfectly secure load, I like it!
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    OK, it looks like this journey has come to a close. I have tons of photos to sift through and now I start running my mouth on my keyboard!

The routine is:
    1. Croffee
    2. Roost
    3. Old Crow
    4. Campfire
    5. Adjustafork
    6. Lights out
    7. Repeat
    This 1 minute video documents the routine. Hotstuff thinks she's a badass because she had to kickstart her bike a bunch. I give her credit, it's becoming a lost art:
    JonBu, VDG, jonz and 13 others like this.
  18. liv2day

Oddometer:
    It's about facking time, been to Hotlanta for a stoopid work event and back and you still haven't started spouting off :D :D
    jays100 and Joe Motocross like this.
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    So let’s get back to the beginning. It’s mid April and Buuuuuurrrrrt and I have done an initial shake down ride for a few days to dust out the cobwebs. Good thing because I was not on my game. Now it’s onto the longer journey.

After a barrage of storms all winter and into the spring, it was looking like things were settling down. I decided it was time to roll. Like many, I had spring fever and only a good desert session could cure it. I decided I would leave within 24 hours and go for as long as the weather and other life commitments held off. I figured at least a week and possibly up to two weeks for this journey.

The next thing to consider was the route. Where to go? Spring is not my favorite for multi-day motorcycle adventures. I very much prefer late summer and fall. In the spring, the high country is still snowbound and the rivers down low are too swollen and generally too deep to cross on a bike. These two factors very much limit travel options.

Between my home and the desert is a small mountain range with elevations up to about 11,500’. There is one route that is paved and plowed all winter that goes over. The high point is 9600’. A snow storm had just rolled through so I ruled out riding my bike that way. There was a lower dirt route that I possibly could take but there still may be drifts blocking the road. So, I decided to truck my bike about an hour from my place and park at a buddies house on the east side of the range.

The dirt route follows along right beside the freeway. I understand it’s the old route from before the freeway was here. This guy on a quad was rolling along with his two faithful pals and no snow blocking his way.
    day1- - 1.jpg

I was snapping photos with my phone as I passed over the high point and it ended up that the route was now clear of snow. I kind of wished I would’ve left from my house at that point.
    day1- - 2.jpg

I landed at my buddies place and unloaded. One reason I decided to drive over was so I could bring a cache of Adjustaforks to fill orders every few days. I loaded 20 onto my bike and left 20 at the truck. I was intending to drop the 20 I had somewhere but I wasn’t not quite sure where. I figured it would all shake out when the time came.
    day1- - 3.jpg

I like to eat healthy on the trail so I always try to pack vegetables to accompany the meats that get cooked on the Adjustaforks. Vegetables can be hard to come by in many of the small towns. I can’t state enough how important a good diet is. Nutrition is key for these long and demanding days of riding. If you don’t eat well and don’t stay hydrated, you’re much more likely to have a “melt down” or a “come-a-part” when the going gets tough.
    day1- - 4.jpg

I roll out and I’m immediately into stellar terrain.
    day1- - 5.jpg

I’m rolling up a fairly well known wash.
    day1- - 6.jpg

I come across a group of folks in jeeps, quads, and side by sides. This is a rocky technical section that takes a group quite a while to work everyone through.
    day1- - 7.jpg

The way this works is everyone gets out of their vehicles and watches, coaches, and helps one vehicle at a time navigate through the rocks. This can take hours.
    day1- - 9.jpg

I weave up past them like they aren’t even there. I pass through within a minute. It still amazes me how nimble a dirt bike is.
    day1- - 8.jpg

Well hey there mister!! I like the taste of game and I just happen to have 20 Adjustaforks with me!!
    day1- - 10.jpg
  20. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Effin' awesome @Joe Motocross :thumb :thumb

All the pics are sweet, but that last shot of the Ram...damn man. He looks like he's planning to jack your $hit up...lol. Might be tasty on an adjustafork, but imagine he'd put up one hell of a fight :rofl

Scenery there is stunning man, what a great place to have access to :nod

Looking forward to the next installment, I'm hitting your eBay site today to finally order an adjustafork too - been meaning to do so for the last couple weeks and finally getting off my (virtual) a$$ to do so.