Desert Minimalism: Springtime Adjustafork Odyssey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's a "Do you feel lucky punk, well, do ya?" look from the ram. Maybe the ram noticed the Adjustaforks on the bike and was thinking Joe would be tasty, if a bit gamey. :lol3
    Bullseye and Joe Motocross like this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    I feel very fortunate to live where I do.
    Another sucker. Heh, heh, heh............
    Zubb and liv2day like this.
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Another sandy, smooth wash. It is excellent riding!!!
    day1- - 11.jpg

I have 20 extra Adjustaforks with me but I’m still not too overloaded to have a little fun!!! And this is SO FREAKING FUN!!!
    day1- - 12.jpg

Many of these routes are the result of mineral exploration from the mid portion of last century. You still find evidence scattered around.
    day1- - 13.jpg

My luggage system is not designed to carry an extra 20 lbs of Adjustaforks. A minor failure has occurred and one of the side bags was pushed down onto the exhaust causing one of the Voile straps to melt in two.
    day1- - 14.jpg

There is also a small hole in the bag. However, the plastic water bottle was not damaged. I stuff the Adjustaforks into my backpack, use a spare Voile strap to replace the melted one and continue. This is not ideal as I now have 20 Adjustaforks (20 EXTRA pounds!) in my pack.
    day1- - 15.jpg

The rivers were definitely up. The thick looking milkshake color is a telltale sign of what’s going on here. The snow is melting and the runoff is happening. My routes will need to utilize bridges.
    day1- - 16.jpg

A nice little stretch of easy crusing.
    day1- - 17.jpg

I’ve been told that Pronghorn aren’t bad eating. I’ll let you know my opinion one of these days.
    day1- - 18.jpg
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't believe you packed 'em to ship from the trail, that's awesome. Glad I ordered a couple of 'em, and actually don't feel that bad for you hauling 'em around safe-and-sound in your pack, now I know mine won't smell like 4T exhaust :rofl :rofl

Great update and great shot of those antelope - looks like you caught 'em unawares. Every picture I have of those goofy thyings from riding in far SE Oregon is their arse blitzing away.
    Bullseye likes this.
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I think this clearly shows the level of commitment the Adjustafork employees have.
  6. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nah, you just need beer/Old Crow money!
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  7. CJohn

CJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:lol3:lol3
    Hey how are your benefits there? if you need help I’m dedicated, hard worker willing to relocate for 65K year.:lol3
  8. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    was it a water bottle or filled with old crow? if old crow.....party foul!!
  9. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it might be late in the 4th quarter but I am IN.
    (viewed this thread a few times then lost track of it - saw it pop back up and thought "this is that one" - sure enough!
    Yay me for being on the computer when I should be doing other stuff.

But I should pat myself on the back for I DID wash the VStrom today for the first time in... a LONG time. (Rain usually takes care of it but hadn't ridden in the rain enough lately until today and the rain today just kind made it (the Strom) muddy...

Oh crap - I wrote a book.

IN IN IN !

p.s. - when is the "adjust a chair" going to be on Amazon ? LOL
    Franque and Joe Motocross like this.
  10. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't believe I fell for it. I just ordered an Adjustafork. One minute I was reading Joe's latest post, caught up in the mystique and romance of adventure, and the next I was on his eBay page placing my order. WTF just happened? I need to take a shower - I feel dirty.
    Foiler, joenuclear, Magus and 5 others like this.
  11. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    WE have all gone down your path, although I do look forward to using mine around a nice campfire, how could that be bad? (hint, it can't be bad, just not possible)
    Magus and Dualsport4ever like this.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    65K, that's it?!?! If you could get your resume over to the human resources department, we'd really appreciate it. They'll fill you in on benefits, I'm sure you'll be impressed.
    Foiler and Emgo like this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Minimalist Tip: Old Crow bottles are excellent water bottles and are basically free.

The old "candy from a baby" phrase comes to my mind here.
    Dualsport4ever likes this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    It’s late in the day and I need to start looking for a camp. Wood is key to my existence since I’m not carrying a stove and I intend to cook a steak. I get into a zone with a bunch of dead Juniper. This is my all time favorite wood to burn. It burns so hot even though it seems very light in weight and splinters easy into pieces.
    Here’s a list of available wood in order of my burning preference:
    1-Juniper
    2-Pinyon
    3-Cedar
    4-Cottonwood
    10,000-Tamarisk
    Good luck with Tamarisk. It will work in a pinch but it’s not pretty.
    day1- - 19.jpg

I found a great camp on some sandstone and started settling in. I try to get my dinners lined up before I indulge in too much whiskey. I chopped up some potatoes, green onions and threw in a can of green beans to make a soup. I’ll add some powdered soup mix for flavoring after the potatoes are cooked.
    day1- - 20.jpg

Now it’s time to get the fire going. I prefer to use a little gas as a firestarter. I have my little quick-connect fitting along so I can disconnect the fuel line, insert the fitting, hit the start button and get a few squirts of gas. As I’ve stated before, this fuel injected bike is pretty new to me. I don’t really like the idea of disconnecting this fuel line every day because it seems like it would be easy to contaminate this with a little dirt and cause the fuel injection system to plug up. I have a plan to add a petcock to the other side of the tank for fire starting and to transfer gas to other bikes.
    day1- - 21.jpg

A waxing moon is my favorite time to be in the desert.
    day1- - 22.jpg

Things couldn’t be much better! Perfect weather, waxing moon, Juniper to burn, sandstone to camp on, plenty of whiskey and steak, awesome chair (a rock against the front wheel).
    day1- - 23.jpg

I keep sipping the Crow really putting on a nice whiskey buzz. I set my soup on to cook.
    day1- - 24.jpg

After some more Crow, I stab my steak with the Adjustafork and prop it over the coals.
    day1- - 27.jpg

Now I’m pretty much drunk but not to the point where I’m screwing up dinner. As a matter of a fact, the steak is about perfect!! It really doesn’t get much better. I have dinner and it’s lights out! My sleeping pad goes flat at some point in the night. Oh well, real minimalists like sleeping on rock and I continue to do so comfortably in my booze-induced state.
    day1- - 25.jpg
    scudo, Zubb, KLRalph and 21 others like this.
  15. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, you suck so bad, now I am hungry!
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well I'm in the same boat with all the rest of you keyboard jockeys now, i.e. not out on my bike.
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    +1 to the comment on juniper, not only does it burn hot, but the scent is fantastic! I love going to eastern Oregon and making fires with it.

That shot of the moon is top notch man, seriously great capture :thumb :thumb You might have mentioned before, but what are you shooting with? Perfect light and the focal point is spot on.

Looks like a fantastic spot for camp, always a great end to the day with whiskey, a steak, and a fire.

Great update @Joe Motocross :ricky :super
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the scent!! It truly is magnificent.

I am in no way a "photographer". I basically know nothing about the finer points of photography, or any points at all for that matter! I use a little "point and shoot" if I bring a camera at all. I have a pocket tripod also. My camera choice is based on it's size and the fact that I can smash it and not feel too bad about loosing it. I like the 30X zoom which is important for my winter work in the mountains. I think it's fairly capable and can certainly do more than I know how to do. It says DMC-TZ70 on the bottom of it.
    78A048FA-2BC0-4A00-85D2-F0B36D75AB82.jpeg
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That's a great little travel camera, I have the TZ50 that I take out when doing single track on my 2-smoker. As I'm a bit more of a pansy on my adv rides and pack a fair amount of $hit, I haul a DMC-ZS200 for those rides - like the bigger sensor for low light stuff.

Anyway, you do a great job capturing images with that camera, especially as it only has a 2/3 sensor. Focus gets a little soft as you zoom out, but it's still a great camera. The detail in some of your shots is stunning - like the juniper branches - great contrast.

When's the next update coming? I'm stuck in effin' cube hell and haven't ridden since early April...need a vicarious fix :-) :-)
  20. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    DAY 2

I wake up with the sunrise totally refreshed and start out with, what else, a small fire to make some croffee (coffee + old crow). I also fix some noodles and vegetables, my other morning staple.
    day2 - 1.jpg

I couldn’t find the pin hole in my sleeping pad which I wanted to patch. Good thing all the cattle stock ponds are full from the wet winter. There was one really close to my camp which I went and used to find the hole. It was a small one on the top of the pad. I really have no explanation to how it got there. It’s in a scuff mark. Too much Crow?
    day2 - 2.jpg

The pad is now patched. Here’s what goes on top of my rear fender. Bivy, pad, sleeping bag, tarp.
    day2 - 3.jpg

Minimalist Tip: I roll the pad inside the tarp to prevent it from getting damaged during the ride. I then cinch everything down with straps to make a nice tight package.

These items weigh about 6 1/2 pounds. This is significant and I’ll go into it in a minute.
    day2 - 4.jpg

Now it’s onto the trail!!!
    day2 - 5.jpg

I run across this cat who’s out solo for the first ride on his new 300. We bullshit about different routes and I’m impressed with his knowledge. Turns out we have mutual friends in the area also. I later learn that he’s quite the motorcycle legend. Evidently he won the Widowmaker hillclimb event back in the day here in Utah.
    day2 - 6.jpg

I’m choosing some easier routes due to the 20lbs of Adjustaforks on my back. Truth be known, I probably would’ve taken this sweet route anyway. Pretty fun to be blasting at full speed along these two-tracks!

This photo is actually a good place to talk about why I choose to go minimalist. It is clear in the photo that my gear is very streamlined. I do this for one reason: so I can RIDE LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL!! My thing is I want the bike to do what it was made for which is big desert riding. Now, all together with the top bag and the two side bags I have 12 to 20 lbs on the rear end of the bike. I just weighed everything this spring. This fluctuates during the day depending on how much food, water and whiskey I’m carrying. 20 lbs is HUGE when you’re talking about suspension tuning. I’m not a tech weenie but I know enough to know that 20 extra pounds throws off the suspension quite a bit. It becomes obvious when I remove everything and go for a day ride. My suspension is tuned for me without this extra weight. In most situations, the extra weight is tolerable but you’re just not going to pound miles of whoops with this extra weight. Furthermore, the subframes on these bikes just aren’t made for carrying shit.

I sacrifice comfort at camp in trade for being able to ride like I want to which is the biggest reason I’m out here. I want to slide sideways through corners with the throttle pinned. I want to be able to climb up rocky technical sections. I want to get the bike off the ground! I want to go where others can’t.

This is where my “chair” analogy comes in. I personally can’t think of a more bulky, awkward, heavy, unnecessary piece of gear to pile onto a bike. For me, “chair”=handicap the bike. “Chair” is somewhat of a metaphor for “too much shit”!!

Now, to each his own right? I mean, I’ll still be your friend if you carry a chair. (while I secretly chuckle and think “so you really want to go ride dirt huh?”)
    day2 - 7.jpg

OK, back to the riding. My route goes through some washes.
    day2 - 8.jpg

And I had some fun jumping off little things. It’s obvious you’re not going to be doing a whole lot of this with a chair loaded on your bike.
    day2 - 9.jpg