Desert Minimalist Thumper Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    umm... ya. Did that run on my WR450 and was sooooo glad I didn't bring my (then) DR650. Doing this on a 950 is a bit much. I remember a couple of drop offs that would have eaten up the bottom of the DR. I can only imagine what it's going to do on the 950.
    Joe Motocross and TheAdmiral like this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork Chef

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the skid plate on the 950 took a couple of big hits. Nothing that did any damage but harder hits than I like.
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Classic Moab right there!!
    4F511A49-8EBA-48D8-B09B-0B83A8F44EDB.jpeg

There were a couple of super fun little sandy sections mixed in.
    9760057D-B9B3-4172-A921-C7EC70E01F83.jpeg

Up and down and up and down.
    7ADEDE2C-EEC5-4D24-94DF-0BD07D851770.jpeg

And up! This looked pretty steep when I came up to it but the front wheel actually wasn’t even close to coming off the rock when I was pulling up the steepest section.
    13C0A4F6-CBD8-4CB2-8171-94251DCDA606.jpeg
  4. KitsapBiker

KitsapBiker Longmont Minimalist

Oddometer:
    Bringing back memories of our spring trip on those same classic Moab trails! I had my XCW500 and m6 buddy had his DRZ400. Can’t wait to go back.
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  5. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fork-n-eh !

5A5B3DE0-B999-4B46-B99F-517424C93A03.jpeg
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    ^^^ YES!! ^^^
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Here’s my lunch spot overlooking Moab and the Spanish Valley. I leaned up against my front wheel and was right in my element!
    A21BFDB3-20E2-43F1-879D-40E985D19B9F.jpeg

This section took a little sniffing around to figure out how to make it past. I think the large crack is what TheAdmiral referred to as “The Golden Crack”. If you’re traveling from the right to the left, you blip the throttle and jump over it. Going from left to right takes a little maneuvering. Right in front of my front tire, the rock drops off about 4 feet. I was just about to roll off of it when I hesitated. Never a good thing. I stopped and took a quick scout around and found an easier route. I’ll do the drop next time.
    5EDE2F01-4800-4F63-9FF6-A420275CC08F.jpeg

This was another great little move. Nice challenging step ups. I had to scout this one also before just throttling it. I was kind of breaking my own rule about doing stuff like this solo. But, I was confident and that alone will carry you through serious situations with ease. Loosing confidence is usually when things go bad.
    29C4E52D-E7E0-4F3C-B02C-82D0A6D124A0.jpeg

This last one may have been the most intimidating. It’s about 6 feet tall and fairly vertical to start. I quickly looked for a “work around” but it was obvious the only way past was right up it. There was no way I was going to turn around and go back. Plus I was riding well. I leaned a couple of rocks against the bottom of the move so I could hit it with a little speed. I leaned my phone against a rock to take a video. I thought it’d be good footage in the event that I bumbled it. I popped right up on top, no sweat. Needless to say, I had the perfect tires on for pretending the Superenduro was a trials bike. Check that rear tire molding to the rock and gripping the shit out of it!!
    87D1C47B-03A2-460B-B7CD-B634360F3600.jpeg
  8. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about riding alone way the hell out there.

You've got us riding along with you in our CHAIRS!

:wings
  9. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    I'm loving the 950SE stuff and some awesome riding territory

Post that vertical step up video
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  10. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bad Ass stuff right there!!
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    Putting in the work on that big girl! :ricky
  12. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were coming down this from the other direction. We were chicken and walked our bikes down. I think 2 out of the 6 of us could have ridden up this as you did. I'm not one of them. I'm very impressed you rode up this on a bigger bike. Actually, super impressed. :clap

[​IMG]
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I love the SE also. I can't tell you how happy I am that I purchased that bike, pretty much on a whim. I had no idea what an iconic bike it would turn out to be. Three of my buddies have followed suit and are Superenduro owners. It'a a completely asinine bike.

The video is pretty lame because the camera is in a fixed location. All you see is a split second of the bike passing through the frame.
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  14. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ya.. suuuure. You just don't want us seeing all the guide wires and scaffolding you photoshop'd out. :imaposer
  15. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    And the chair...
  16. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:

Hey!! That's a secret "Easter Egg" feature of the Adjustafork!! :dirtdog
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Looks like we got some “funny guys” again this morning. Good stuff!

The “rock crawling” route spits out onto a much tamer road which brings you back to the highway that runs down into Moab. That looks like it will end my Fall riding season.
    7B316F85-E158-4F50-A1E4-89608CED2BE4.jpeg

I get issued a truck for work in the winter. The boss had shuttled other staff members down to Moab with it. The idea was to hand it off to me and I’d take it back to my region for the winter. This was a convenient way for me to get the truck as it saved me a trip up to Salt Lake. But I was actually bummed that I had to drive across all the beautiful terrain that I otherwise would have taken a few more days to ride through on my way home. I didn’t want to stop riding. I wanted to just keep going indefinitely. Oh well, at least I was able to buy a few of the last melons of the season. Sad times indeed. Days were short. Temps were getting colder. Melon season was over. It all pointed to parking the bikes for a couple of months.
    D6220722-5E48-4181-BCB8-9C7B0EC6EC25.jpeg
    ridefire, Fast1, 'Bob' and 21 others like this.
  18. Psycho18th

Psycho18th Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve really enjoyed this story. Thanks for posting it. Look forward to seeing more when you break the bike back out in the spring.
  19. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR, I enjoy Moab every time I go.
  20. Lostmike

Lostmike Cruising

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR