Desert Minimalist Thumper Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Slick13

Slick13 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to post up Joe, this has been one hell of an entertaining ride. Looking forward to the next instalment of Adjustafork Adventures.
    RozzyCat likes this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork Chef

Oddometer:
    EPILOGUE

What is “Adventure Riding”? It seems like it’s a fairly loosely used term encompassing many disciplines. It means different things to different people.

We’ve got the big GS bike category with hard case luggage going out for weeks, months or years at a time.
    [​IMG]

Then we have the opposite end of the spectrum in a thread I was checking out where a dude is doing massive day loops (like 500+ miles!) on a freaking glorified scooter!! I can't find the thread but here's another example:
    [​IMG]

Seems like maybe “Adventure Riding” is the new term for recreational motorcycling? Maybe motorcycling has been “Adventure Riding” all along?

The readers know what I’m into. That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the other disciplines. I truly love it all. Mopeds to full dress Harleys. I may poke fun a folks a bit for bringing the kitchen sink but I’ll still help them stand their bike back up after auguring in. I mean, if you want to pack a chair and wet wipes, have at it! Hey Mary, why not pack your lipstick and your skirt also? Those items should help you out a lot in the deep sand…..

Hahahahaha! I’m totally kidding. (chuckle chuckle chuckle) Many people wouldn’t have fun with my style of riding. Just the same, it would kill me being on a big bike or a scooter flying past little faint two tracks running off into the distance as I wonder “where does that go?”. Do what brings you pleasure. I do believe that are a number of guys who would enjoy the type of journeys I do, they just haven’t thought about it enough or haven’t tested themselves yet. That’s part of the reason I take the time on these ride reports.

I don’t take things too seriously. It’s all about just having fun. However, I do think recreating is important. Doing this stuff is what keeps us sane. (although the more I do, the more insane I think I’m becoming….) Riding these bikes gives us a break from other unpleasantness that comes with being in this world. Even just checking these reports out during a quick break at work gives folks a little release.

I’m struggling with the riding season coming to a close this year. I’ve had more than my fair share this fall but it seems that’s not enough! Maybe I’ll get another ride in before winter really sets in, maybe not.

I am lucky enough that I get to ride a snowbike around in the winter as part of my job forecasting avalanches. It can be pretty amazing at times. This keeps me busy but still during the cold winter nights I find myself daydreaming about sleeping in the dirt. The bike in the photo below is my own creation based on a KTM Supermoto 950 powerplant. It’s been dubbed Goliath the 950 Powder Pagan. I have a buddy in my county that is really gifted with Turbo projects, I mean, this dude is touched! So I bet you can guess what’s going to happen this season to my snowbike project.
    C148E595-3E38-4CAE-8EA1-FE5E6A0189CF.jpeg

I’ll probably slide into obscurity for a while again. I’ve been coming and going on this website for ten years now. Most likely I’ll be back again at some point. I’m kind of thinking that the next ride report needs to be taking this to the next level. No less than two weeks of full minimalism. Full minimalism. No shoes, tents, stoves etc. Just an Adjustafork, metal cup, and something to sleep on. Lightly packed thumpers on serious terrain only. None of this “pussyfooting” around cruising graded roads. Only the real stuff. Shit that challenges us. Hairy hill climbs. Descents where you have to “bull dog” your back end around switchbacking down because it’s so steep. Maybe a belay or two. Miles of relentlessly rocky terrain. River crossings that we may or may not make across. Yeah, that sounds like a good plan. Freaking can’t wait! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
  3. sgio

sgio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for coming out of hibernation and posting this up. I really enjoyed it!:clap
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  4. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking me along the last couple weeks, I have rode some of the places in your RR. You are an entertaining author and bring your story very well. I also have read your previous reports as well, good stuff. The minimalist approach gives one to ponder about their set up. I made it required reading for my crew as food for thought. And remote UT riding. The fat tire thing just may be the new "fab" movement in the future, just like trials tires and hybrid wider crossovers are now for enduro bikes. GOOD on you for sharing with us.
  5. ridefire

ridefire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Cowboy! Always a joy to read your reports! I too am bummed our glorious trails will be engulfed by winter but snow bikes are also a wonderful way to pass the time. We spend most our time in the Wasatch and Uintahs but I'd love to head south and try the skyline in winter!
  6. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report, Joe!

Thank you for the awesome story and the photos! :clap

It brought up a lot of memories riding UT on a few occasions in the past, and even more funny, reminded me of my ride around Death Valley this spring, where on the last day of that ride, i ran into a flight suit wearing dude, who rode around the world on a 2-stroke Vespa of all the things! How it turned into a roadside moment of him making fun of how long it took me to change a rear tube, where it takes him 8 minutes... at which point the decision was made to beat feet to my garage and continue the BS session there over some beers! Awesome memories!

Thank you again for your tale! I gulped it up in one sitting! :thumb
    Joe Motocross and Richarde1605 like this.
  7. IceCreamSoldier

IceCreamSoldier suffering somewhere

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your style. Your solo ride was crazy good. That’s being in the zone. Just getting the SE on its side stand to pose for some of those pics is impressive.
  8. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have said before that every ride is an adventure, even bicycles. If it leans to turn, adventure :-)
  9. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most entertaining RR! Thanks.
  10. chudzikb

chudzikb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As others have said, thanks for providing a diversion from "life" for us at home. You GET it. The back packer in me truly appreciates the minimalist approach. Once you understand that weight is the enemy it all makes sense.
  11. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for bringing us along Joe. I’ll be sure to cram my skirt and lipstick in my panniers right next to my adjustafork, although the chair may not make the cut next year. Looking forward to the next installment.
  12. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    In:y0!
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great thread. I loved it.

By definition, every motorcycle I've ever owned has been an "adventure" machine. A ride for coffee is an adventure on a motorcycle.
  14. handensco

handensco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Loved this.
  15. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Nice report. But you made me miss my 950SE :2cry
  16. MojaveSidecar

MojaveSidecar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very motivating ride report. And I loved the AjustaFork... Bought 2 this morning via ebay and it says you already shipped them. I'm a retired old geez-er looking to get back into riding on an old DRZ-er. The high desert of Southern California is my new playground.

I do hope you do the AjustaFork recipe book... I dont cook at all and the idea of sticking a slab of meat on the fork and roasting it over the fire and washing it down with some whiskey seems like just the right level of technology for me.

How do you keep your food, ice etc cold when you travel? Besides the AF, what other camping/food prep utensils do you carry?

Randy from Wrightwood, CA
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    It's a good level of technology to be at.

We don't carry ice unless we swing through a town right at the end of the day. We don't worry about keeping things cold. If you buy a steak in the morning, it'll be fine still that evening. Frozen meat is a good option. It'll thaw during the day and be ready for the fork that night. Sharp knife, spoon and a metal cup accompany the Adjustafork to complete the mess kit.

You guys might want to "watch" the Adjustafork thread over in the vendors forum for a little comic relief from time to time. I just posted a good video demonstrating how purchasing an Adjustafork may be a safer and mellower option than going shopping on Black Friday.
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Hey Inmates! Thanks for all the kind words! There are a bunch of great folks on this forum. It's a big reason why I return. I see mostly positive stoke here. We need more of that in this world!!
    DragonJoe, schlum1, PNWet and 9 others like this.
  19. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
  20. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    I wonder if Will is following this?