Desert Minimalist Thumper Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 27, 2018.

1. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Epic adventure mate! Thanks for the brilliant R.R. and pictures,looking forward to your next minimum tech ride.
  2. JHpowderhound

JHpowderhound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR Joe. I truly enjoyed it.

Thanks
    Eric
  3. Louutah

Louutah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing all the pics and insight!
    Great recap!
    Thanks again!
  4. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:
    Really great RR man! You really spotlighted why I love riding and why every bike I own has knobby tires. Be sure to share pics of the turbo snow beast!
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  5. SP's Dad

SP's Dad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great RR!!

thanks for sharing
  6. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    hi joe,

another terrific ride report, your storytelling is first-rate. i've been a fan of your approach to travel since your mongolia report (https://advrider.com/f/threads/first-steppe-mongolia.818258/), and always keep an eye out for another one of your rr's. thanks for taking the time to bring us along.

best regards,

johnnyg
  7. ricko1320

ricko1320 n00b

Oddometer:
    One more attaboy, great story and pics. I've often pondered the fat 18 on the front as it would allow for same size spare tube, glad to hear it works in my terrain. Love to hear the minimalist mindset, I need to beat the boy scout mentality out of me.
    Joe Motocross and Richarde1605 like this.
  8. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought two of the tent bags linked in my previous post. They are very thin nylon with single stitched seams. I'm sure they'd be fine for backpacking, but I would not recommend them for Moto/ADV use.

The size, and more importantly the shape, is right. If anyone can find some good quality, heavy duty bags (10-15L with a ~7" diameter and ~24" long) let us know.
    ebola likes this.
  9. IceCreamSoldier

IceCreamSoldier suffering somewhere

Oddometer:
    Thanks PNWet, I am also searching for longer , thinner, waterproof bags. I am getting to the point where I might sew up some myself from some heavy duty vinyl I have laying around.
  10. NTTF

NTTF ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oddometer:
    IceCreamSoldier likes this.
  11. Kenner

Kenner n00b

Oddometer:
    This was a great report! I was born in Moab in '81, but sadly moved away as a child. I "grew up" in Ephraim, but my dad was from Kanab. I love visiting and camping in the southern desert. I live in Northern Utah now, but there is nothing like the south. I'm stuck in the Middle East for a couple more months, but when I get back I'll spend some time camping in southern Utah since the weather will be warmer. Your ride report has reminded me of how great home is. Thank you for that.
    Kenner
  12. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw the Revelate Designs bag. They might work, but I don't know how durable their material is. They're made for bike packing. I've seen their frame bags, and while high quality, the fabric is more light first then durable. Not sure it'd hold up for moto use.

I've thought about just getting a piece of 4'x4' material (cotton duck, cordura, something durable). With that I think I could fold and roll stuff into it.
    IceCreamSoldier likes this.
  13. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork Chef

Oddometer:
    Cool man, thanks for sharing. I'm in Spring City just north of Ephraim. Couldn't be happier!

Definitely a bit cold for a few months. I usually start prowling around the desert again in late February. Hope you get some quality time in!
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I'm taking note of the different ideas folks have for stuff sacks. I've seen all sorts of stuff. You don't need anything fancy. Old dry bags work well. Nylon or cordura stuff sacks are great. I've used leather in the past. That's freaking durable. PNWet is on it, you could just roll stuff up and call it good.

I've gone to just stitching up simple tube style stuff sacks made from cordura. Just a super simple design like a dry bag where you just roll up the extra material and strap it to the side of the bike with Voile Straps.

The top stuff sack is about 8" in diameter. The stuff sacks on the sides are about 5" in diameter.

Maybe Adjustafork needs to introduce a new line of packing accessories! :rofl
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    One more thing, I'm just finishing up a cup of croffee at my house. Tastes like the desert! Not bad....
    joenuclear, tlrmark and cprbusa like this.
  16. KLRalph

KLRalph Because KTMalph sounds funny

Oddometer:
    Meanwhile, Inzane is busy printing fake news. He lets me have all of the misprints to use for Adjustafork packing material. By the way, if you received an Adjustafork that was wrapped in the Religion section of a Utah newspaper, it was just by chance. I’m not some sort of religious weirdo trying to spread the gospel.

Got my Adjustafork the other day and am stoked! It came wrapped in the Deseret News and I learned:
    1. We are morally obligated to be cheerful
    2. Norway knows how to keep the air clean, and
    3. Social media is infested with Bots!
    Which got me wondering, JM you're not really a Bot are you? (Click :jive no I am not a Bot)
  17. MojaveSidecar

MojaveSidecar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my 2 two Adjustaforks last Monday. I am not going to open the package until Christmas.
    I am just going to put a bow on it, adjust the "from" label to say "From Santa @ The North Pole",
    and give it to my wife as her Christmas present.
    :hide

BTW

She is getting a 2019 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 from me. :lol3
    Richarde1605 and Joe Motocross like this.
  18. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brave man.............at least until she opens the present :lol2
  19. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here, I thought that Adjustafork was a pretty good idea. Then I found out yesterday that it was just a rip off of a previous design. The original design was done approximately 3000 years ago by a kid.. named Tutankhamun. Here is proof. King Tut had the first itteration. :imaposer

20181201_123320.jpg
  20. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    "Walk with an Egyptian Adjusta-fork" ^^^^^^^
    Todd157k likes this.