Desert Minimalist Thumper Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork Chef

Oddometer:
    Ok, ok. So man has used the Adjustafork since time began. I ripped off Tut and others. Big deal. Regardless, it’s a time tested design. Good enough for a king, good enough for me.
  2. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Born in Arizona
    Moved to Babylonia King Tut
    He's my favorite honky
    Jimo368 and Joe Motocross like this.
  3. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The King Tut exhibit was very good. I'm not a 'museum' go-er at all but really wanted to see it. Really fun IMAX show too. I kept watching the show thinking.. "I could ride that.. next to the Nile" :y0!

@Joe Motocross In all fairness... yours is the original. This "pitch fork" like piece was an arrow head they used with the bow it's sitting next to. It didn't really say how, or how well it worked however, it didn't seem to last the test of time. :lol2
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  4. HPPants

HPPants Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm only on page 10, but I'm hooked, man. Great report and please no spoilers. I'd rather just get it raw.

I'm jonesing for a dual sport, and this report is like a carrot dangling in front of the horse. Of course, Joe Motocross is way out of my league, but one can dream for free, and this stuff is good stuff. I'd like to try some back country camping on a dual sport.

I can't relate directly to this application, but after more than 150,000 miles of sport touring, I can affirmly state that the more I do this, the less I bring. There is real benefit to the minimalist motorcyclists and it goes way beyond the weight of the bike. Everything I bring has to be cared for, cleaned, maintained, and to some extent - worried about. If I don't have it, I ain't gotta worry about it and quite frankly, I've got way too much worry already. So I bring less. And the next time, even less.

Furthermore, I think there is great adventure and satisfaction improvising. Use your brain case to think out of the box and use whatever is available to you. I don't mind primitive camping at all - in more populated areas, I would actually prefer it to sleeping with the rolling houses with their big generators and sound machines and yappy dogs. On the street, the cell phone and GPS make this easy. Truthfully, we are never really THAT far away from help if we need it.

Finally, today's world is so full of bullshit. I'd never start a war over it, but at some point, somebody has to tell me why my wife needs 115 pairs of shoes, give or take? You can go to Cosco and buy 100 rolls of toilet paper in one package. Or 25 pounds of rice. I mean - am I the only one that see how ridiculous this is?

So ride on, Joe Motocross. Ride on indeed, man. You've got a south Louisiana brother on your team for sure!!
    Cav47 and tlrmark like this.
  5. Osadabwa

Osadabwa Don't be Surprised

Oddometer:
    This whole thing makes me happy.

I'd be quick to tease you about your camp chair, but I've just organized a 4 night ride coming next week and did one better... we'll be staying in hotels the whole time! It just worked out that there are great places to crash all along the way and the riding will be absolutely fantastic without camp gear and food bogging us down. So, in a way, maybe I'm actually sticking harder to the "go light" mantra than you on this one... ooooooh, yeah, I think so! :lol3
    Foiler, Dad and joenuclear like this.
  6. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got my adjustaforks. Can't wait to try them out. Thanks
  7. pprO.R.A.

pprO.R.A. Hipster Dufass

Oddometer:
    Hey there Joe M. how big of a PIA is it to carry out the empty cans, bottles and garbage from the nights campsite. I know when you hit the store before finding a camp for the night you make room to carry in the goods, but the days ride out for the trails ahead you have to pack out garbage. I am just wondering how you manage that ?
    maloryII likes this.
  8. chudzikb

chudzikb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leave no trace is the way for most in the wilderness. It is the only way.
    OHjim and tlrmark like this.
  9. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    What he said. If you brought it, you need to leave with it. Work that into the plan.
    Notice how many times Cletus pointed out the AAFork eliminates the need for plates & utensils, etc. (which get left behind...). And cans are easy to smash flat!
    i4bikes likes this.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yup, easy enough to pack out. Burn what you can, smash the cans flat. Trash ends up being very minimal.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Man Osadabwa, I like you more and more, you're on it. That's what we call a "credit card tour". It doesn't happen often but sometimes we'll do a December or January ride from hotel to hotel. As you suggested, this is truly the most minimalist method of adventure riding. The adventure is at those "rat hole" motels scattered across the desert in the obscure towns. You're almost guaranteed to meet some wacked characters at those places.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Totally on it here. My uncle used to say "everything you own owns a piece of you". I think that's why I get off on not bringing anything. The total freedom and release. You get it.
  13. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Well that seems like another good reason to have an adjust a fork handy...
  14. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great tale - and great inspiration.
    Joe Motocross and cprbusa like this.
  15. Spam16v

Spam16v Squid Rocket Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pm sent, I’m sold.
  16. Jimo368

Jimo368 Quantum Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I just finished reading your amazing rides. I great read up here when everything is frozen solid until May. Hopefully I can make it down there with the DRZ soon.