Desert Minimalist Thumper Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork Chef

Oddometer:
    I know this scene. You nailed it. Just no gangs or (obvious) hookers in the towns I role through.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:

Yeah man, the worst hotel had me sleeping in the bathtub when multiple gunshots rang out in the middle of the night. Turned out some meth heads got into a shootout. One of them bled out 2 doors down. I didn't wait for the continental breakfast...
  3. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I would have left after the smoke cleared and parking lot was full of cops. All the vermin scatter when the red and blue lights show up.
  4. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @oneworldcycles

Oddometer:

I had spent the better part of the day fighting off sobriety. At that point driving and thinking were no longer part of my toolset. :lol3
  5. navydive

navydive Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just snorted my coffee out my nose. Holy crap that's funny. You know what they say about girls with no teeth!!! LOL
  6. maloryII

maloryII ey brah Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joe -- you have found in me a new believer in this wonderful AdjustaFork-aided motorcycle asceticism. At this very moment I am tossing away the hard cases, soft bags, and other foolish and unnecessary trappings of my former motorcycle life to join you on the truth path. After reading your credenda, I am now unable to browse the rest of ADVRider without regarding with contempt all the comically overloaded 600 pound moron machines that carry their oblivious cargo across lands of dubious interest. I also gaze with shame upon my own much-too-big 1290. It's for sale in the flea market. I'm a penitent man.

Despite the ultimate infallibility of your teachings one question lingers: while many of us -- your disciples -- are making plans to join you soon in Deseret, we are currently mired in less-anointed lands often heavy with rains. To what extent would a bivvy sack comport with the spirit of these Holy Endeavors?
    Brotherwolf and Jimbones like this.
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I too am in winter review of my packing habits. I've always overpacked and carted far too much sh*t, much of which was never touched. I've accumulated an array of various soft luggage combinations over 40+ years (why do I have THREE tank bags?) and giving much more thought to how I'll ride in 2019. When I see Gold Wings with trailers I always think they should have got a Miata and been done with it. They're no longer motorcycling so why not have a heater and be out of the rain?
    Brotherwolf, bbanker, i4bikes and 2 others like this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yes, once you've become an "enlightened minimalist", you start viewing things differently. Keep in mind that being truly enlightened means looking at riders with "overloaded 600 pound moron machines" with no disdain. The "enlightened minimalist" doesn't care if someone else packs a chair. It's a hard place to get to.

Bivouac Sacks are pretty dam awesome for maximum protection in a minimum package. That said, if I knew I was traveling somewhere with lots of rain, I'd supplement it with a rip-stop nylon tarp that I could string up using the bike just in case I had to sit for a day in the rain.

In the photo below are two methods of rain shelter. The one on the left, just a tarp strung up from the bike. The one on the right is utilizing a rain fly from a tent without the tent. This method obviously cuts the bulk of a tent down by about half. However, I prefer the tarp as it's more versatile.

[​IMG]
  9. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Embossed painting tarps are pretty darn tough and cheap. I used to use 9'x12' 2-3 mil ones (sometimes you can find 4 mil ones) for backpacking. Some cordage and a couple of sheet bend knots, rocks for anchors and you're pretty much done. Tyvek works well too. They're both kind of noisy if it's really windy though.

Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-387-Embossed-Plastic-Cloth/dp/B004MN2HFC
  10. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Tons of tarp options. This with one or two old ski poles. Packing for the Rockies is a little more complicated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ginger Beard and Ride Now like this.
  11. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What windshield is that?
  12. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Triumph 1200 Explorer.
    OHjim likes this.
  13. tomdubz

tomdubz getting there Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe your wimins would argue, but mine informed me long ago that smooth rocks work instead of toilet paper.
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  14. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those interested in tarps, the most common size seems to be 10'x10'. Outside the US, that's 3x3.
  15. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hell yea!! Someone linked this RR in another thread. I typically don't read RR's anymore cuz most don't ride in the terrain I enjoy. Dirt biking n camping. Yours is delivering in spades!!! Did I mention I was stoked!! I'm only 8 pages in...……….....hurry up and write more so I won't get to the end too quickly.

Front wheel comfort baby.

[​IMG]

I never thought about adding a log or rocks. What are the advantages?

I live on Jerky n Dried fruit a lot of times. I'll have a gander at your Adjust-a-Fork. Love the ideology.
  16. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    Oh man what a ride. I'm going looking for your other ride reports. True entertainment. If you can't go, read about those who went.

Tarps and bags... If you use a tarp and roll it up and stuff it into a bag aren't you putting a trash bag in a trash can? Not literally but I think you know what I mean.
    Fold your tarp up a little, place your belongings in the center a little closer to one end and fold the tarp as you would a burrito. Once rolled all the way up there are enough folds and rolls to keep shit dry unless submerged and you can strap it any where you'd place a bag.
    If you do it right you can still read Tyvek on the outside!

An Adjustafork cookbook would be awesome, but I already know how to burn my food and drop it in the coals. Maybe you could put your ride reports together and make a books worth of pictures, anecdotes, and advice. "Joe Motocross - Guide to the Universe" or " How to get yourself in and out of Deepshit with just the clothes on your back"
    Really appreciate your approach to how others ride and pack. No judgement only encouragement and humor.

Thanks again for a good read. Looking forward to the rest of them. Braaaaap!
    CBBaron likes this.
  17. Coastalcop

Coastalcop Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok. Not minimalist most of the time, scorpions, snakes, and meteors usually say tent on the border, though hammocks are preferred when trees abound, But the only place I can find the adjustafork with a search in on eBay. Is this the preferred platform ( I want to make sure my $ goes to you brother ) ? I already got roped into the viola straps by your RR ( though I did offer an alternative to swamps glow stick in another thread). And I want to get a few for me and my riding buddies ( so they don’t steal mine the FF).
  18. E-luke

E-luke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have followed this whole thread as someone new to “adventure riding” but a veteran on two wheels... I have some criticism of the entire report, but first, let me give some slight backstory:

Grew up in australia going hard on BMX, then mountain bikes. Threw them down hills in whistler, eastern US, California, and of course, all over Oz. Rode friends dirt bikes as a teen, then got road bikes as an adult. As the mountain bikes faded, the street motorbikes took over. I’ve always adventures, just never on motored wheels — I’ve hitchhiked, ultralight camped, trekked and climbed many continents.
    Now, here I am, 35 years old, and hungering for adventure where I can combine all my passions. Always dreamt of setting off on two wheels, with no plan and a hungry appetite to get at it.

So (here’s where the criticism comes in), just a couple weeks ago, after a lot of research, I bought myself a spanking new KTM 1290 SAR. Beast. Animal. But Heavy.
    I’ve loved riding it, and while most of my riding will involve slab in order to get to my destinations, I’ve just finished reading your entire ride report — which ROCKS btw — and now have serious buyers remorse as I feel I’ve just got too much bike!!! I want the nimbleness of my Mtb days, where I can wrestle the bike, bash it, rip it and pull it, while having a motor. And I feel like my 1290 is definitely not that...

So, the criticism is: you make your ride report TOO FREAKINV APPEALING!!!!!! Hahahahahah

Love it. Thanks (for nothin’) and keep ripping!!!

Cheera
    Regolith and i4bikes like this.
  19. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just read some RR by Jmo & (piglet) - which covers riding most of the USA on different ADV type bikes (CB500x, BMW310...) and JMO also rides as a minimalist - makes a lot of sense.
    crashkorolyk and i4bikes like this.
  20. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. :lol3
    tlrmark likes this.