Desert Minimalist Thumper Discovery Route

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Bosnaexpress

Bosnaexpress Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot from Hamburg Germany . IMGP3026.JPG
    Joe Motocross, thirsty 1 and Ride Now like this.
  2. maloryII

maloryII ey brah Supporter

Oddometer:
    when's the next one @Joe Motocross ? we need another Verse in this Book of Minimalism
  3. SAM13

SAM13 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Likely when the snow melts off and the mud dries up out here.........
  4. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm neck deep in snow and avalanches right now. Been dreaming of sleeping out in the dirt. Still another month or so away.
    chilejack, Snake Oiler, Kyron and 3 others like this.
  5. EP Chris

EP Chris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally finished this up, awesome report man. After coming back to this thread and seeing your solo section at the end, I nearly shit myself. Back in July a buddy and I did that same route from poison spider to golden crack to gold bar... Me on my DRZ400SM and him on a WR450. We were in way over hour heads but we made it through and what an adventure man. I cant wait to go back with some more experience and a better idea of what I'm getting myself in to. Here's some pics to show just how gnarly that trail is for the rest of the readers.

This is pretty early on in the trail. A good heads up about the rest that is to come, you could say:

upload_2019-2-20_7-9-2.png

This is the golden crack, where most people cross it. Behind me you can see the overhang that is also visible in your pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my bike stuck going up the waterfall. Tried to go at a bit of an angle as my 17" wheels aren't the greatest at popping up over ledges. It didn't work. Lesson learned :)

[​IMG]

For scale, here is my 6'3" frame standing about 1/3 of the way ready to catch my buddy should he fall riding up it. It's hard to see in the pics but its a very steep chunk of rock

upload_2019-2-20_7-14-56.png

Dont mean to hijack, just hoping to give some context to that least segment, it's seriously impressive you did that on an 950 SE. I kinda really want one now. Hope winter is treating you well man, should be warming up soon, looking forward to more ride reports
  6. ColumboNH

ColumboNH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Joe Motocross could you tell me what model of big Agnes double sleeping bag you’re using? I’m looking at getting one for camping off my dirt bike with the mrs but I was afraid they would pack down too large. Is yours a down filler synthetic? Thanks and thanks for a great ride report!
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pumping up my ego. It's fun to push the big bike and see what can be done on it sometimes. In reality though, I'm only an average rider for around these parts and there are tons of guys who regularly pull off stuff you wouldn't believe.

It's been a big winter here and I'm just now starting to think about getting into the dirt. It's not uncommon to get a ride in by now but the deserts are still snow covered for the most part. We're slowly heading toward Spring. I promised RTWPaul that I'd complete an Inmate Interview with him that I haven't been able to get finished but hopefully will soon. Sorry man, I swear I'll button it up soon. Winter isn't done yet but I'm starting to get ready for the dirt bikes.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Not quite sure of the exact model but I only run "down filled" bags because of their pack-ability. The one thing you should know about the Big Agnes bag is that it's only insulated on the top. For maximum warmth you want to run an insulated pad. That said, we never have had to use insulated pads, it's plenty warm for Hotstuff and I.
    ColumboNH likes this.
  9. BigWally

BigWally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't qualify as a minimalist but I've become a fan of the associated world famous Adjust-A-Fork, the greatest culinary creation in the History of Civilization.

My AAF gets its cherry popped with the world's greatest food - bacon.
    IMG_1650.JPG

That was easy. And the noble swine has more to offer. Brats! Dig the shirt - a homage to hogs everywhere.
    IMG_1654.JPG

Progressing rapidly in my AAF culinary quest with the noble swine to chorizo kabobs.
    IMG_1676.JPG

The AAF back in desert racing configuration riding high and tight inside the upper left siderack. IMG_1667.JPG
  10. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Just tuned in. I was told Joe is the man to learn all about rolling light and fast. Now let's kick some desert behind
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah Wally! You are on it!!
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Freaking winter won't let up here! I need some desert about now. Bikes are getting some attention in anticipation of some ROOST soon!
    brianpeck and Snake Oiler like this.
  13. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Definitely the weather has been freaky all over the world.

I traveled 2300 miles to the desert of NM and it snows and rain more than back in Pennsylvania.
  14. ywr969

ywr969 Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer:
    we just returned from a week of camping & riding in western AZ. the weather was gorgeous the whole time except for one morning when it rained a bit.
  15. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Yeah it's starting to get awesome here in southwest NM. Maybe a tad hot although could use some help melting the snow in the mountains.

I've been here since December. Don't get me wrong. I still got a lot of riding in. Even bought a new bike , picked myself up a 501 that's the cats ass here in the desert
  16. scbob2

scbob2 n00b

Oddometer:
    I just noticed this RR a couple of days ago and "wasted" about 6 hours on it !!
    Reminds me of the weekends I used to "waste" when a new Tom Clancy book came out !!!
    Joe's original report about 10 years ago got me all stoked about UT and we've ridden and camped out there a few times - not quite minimalist tho, but on 500's.
    Planning a trip next September.
    Thanks again Joe for the inspiration !!!
    Snake Oiler and Joe Motocross like this.
  17. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    I would like to ride with you sometime. It's been a long time since I've slept in the dirt. I was usually drunk though...
  18. OPNYD

OPNYD Not good; but I’m better than I was...

Oddometer:

Damned straight.

Inch of snow in southern MI tonight. And I like snow. But i’m ready for spring...

Ordered 2 Adjustaforks offa fleabay today. Looking forward to grillage.

Your pic of the timbersled/katoom was intriguing. Seat was.... um ... low? Was a piece missing or am I a silly arse?
  19. chilejack

chilejack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler and tlrmark like this.
  20. 2002maniac

2002maniac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! That campsite definitely is one for the "books". I sure need to get out in this area more!
    Snake Oiler likes this.