Desert Raid 2011 - Neale Junction WA on Sat 4 June 2011

Discussion in 'Australia' started by farcall, Jan 11, 2011.

1. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for an excuse for an adventure ride in WA why not be part of the second Desert Raid. We'll see you at Neale Junction on Saturday 4 June 2011. Over 70 adventure riders gathered at the inaugural Desert Raid in 2009 at Carnegie Stn and many had tall tails of their adventures to or from there. Eight hardy soles from places other than WA made the trek... we would love to see more this year. Search ride reports for some good reports from 2009 and one RR done as a reccy for 2011. Unlike Carnegie, there's no 'soft' way to get to Neale Junction. Will there be sand? ...I reckon count on it! :deal

Where is Neale Junction?
    It's the junction of Anne Beadell Hwy (east-west) and Connie Sue Hwy (north-south). It's approx 370km east of Laverton and approx 310kms south of Warburton and is on the western edge of the Great Victoria Desert. There is NOTHING at Neale Junction... it is only a road junction. I haven't specifically researched this point, but I'm guessing you'll need permits to use either of the tracks leading there.

(Edit 3 Feb 2011: see this post for a map and some fuel/distance info)

Why?
    Why not.

What happens when you get there?
    It's an overnight social gathering, but you need to bring everything you need. Meet other adventure riders, tell lies about how tough the trip was etc etc, camp for the night, then have another adventure trip heading home.

EDIT 23 MARCH 2011:

The BMWMCCWA is no longer associated with this ride in any way whatsoever.

Not withstanding that, it seems enough people are interested in riding to Neale Jcn so why don't we just keep making our own personal plans and have it as an informal gathering of like-minded riders at NJ on Sat 4 June 2011. For the legal hawks out there, NOBODY is 'organising' this ride :deal.

From what I'm reading and hearing, there's going to be at least 15 riders going... no doubt there's more quietly making their own plans. Should be fun.

[​IMG]
    Shane
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
  2. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    Gday Shane,

It does look appealing, I'm booked in for a two week blat around the Simpson later in the month, so if that doesn't come off I'm there.

I need a little training ride for the APC rally so that would be a beaut.

Rossco
  3. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow. That would be like, like... having a radio celebrity attending. :clap That said, are you from the east coast A list or B list... just need to work whether to take the DSLR cam or just a point n shoot. :D You can hold a class on Sat night... topic -"how to get the best out of yourself". I might need to pack some nice cask red. :D

Seriously, would be great to see you and Aub (ozbikedude) and Jim and Unc and Tony there.
  4. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does this fall on the same weekend as the Finke Desert Race this year(QB Long w/end here)?
  5. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. FIIG Rick

FIIG Rick FAT CHICKS NEED LOVIN TOO

Oddometer:
    Hey Shane, what a fantastic Idea, ride in the desert, wow It will be such fun!!!, seriously, I'm heading down there again next week, gona take a look at Point Sunday rd, that leaves the GCR near Tjukarillia, might be a better option than the Connie sue from Warburton.
    It's bloody hot here at the moment, and wet, should be ok by then.
    Are we still on for the GBH and Surveyor Generals corner?
    If so we might take the Connie sue
    By the way, I cant make the Aus day ride, just sacked a bloke now I have to cover his shift DOH..:huh
  7. farcall

farcall Long timer

Oddometer:
    then Curtin Springs, Uluru, GCR, to Desert Raid...

Yep... for sure :thumb
  8. jimkat

jimkat jim

Oddometer:
    :ear pm sent
  9. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've just been looking for alternatives to the Anne Beadell to get to/from Neale Junction. Rick once the Connie Sue's dried out, what do you think it'll be like? Point Sunday Road sounds interesting as well :earAny other roads that might be worth looking at?
  10. grogger123

grogger123 fatbastard

Oddometer:
    I am with you all the way on this one Aido. Richo and I certainly dont want to take any route with a hint of softness about it.
  11. markwrich1

markwrich1 Going South

Oddometer:
    Albany WA 400km to the nearest traffic lights
    That would be just above or below the belt line that softness you are referring to, I am pleased to hear about the trees that have splinters that go thru tyres like a hot knife thru butter, I"ll be ready for a rest after all that sand so fixing a puncture sounds like the way to go for a quiet sit in the sand !!:freaky
  12. FIIG Rick

Oddometer:
    The Connie Sue from Warburton is a rarely used track, through very remote areas, the first 90 k's is sand dune country, with some boggy sand in between the dunes, then it goes through some good hard gravel country for a while, then into some shitty clay and wash outs, with the original track unusable, so bush you must go, It took me 7 hours to do the 300 k's to the junction in a Landcruiser.Would I take my GSA down there??....yes but not alone and would alow a full day, I do like falling off alot.
    I'm heading down the Point Sunday rd next week, by all reports it is a better road, but a fair bit of back tracking from the GCR if your heading from the east,I'll take some pics and report when I go, another option is the Tranns Australian Rail line, then pick up the connie sur from the bottom, where the dog fence meets it, It's about 300 k's to the junction from the rail line and 300 ks to Kalgoorlie from the turn off, Fuel may be available from Coonana or Tjunttjuntjarra ,Tjunt is 90 k's off the connie sue, I can check availability when I go there, may need a permit. mobile phone range along the Rail line, the road is better but big bulldust holes and more sand closer to the Junction.
    I think this ride will seperate the men from the boys:evil
  13. bully1

bully1 Long timer

Oddometer:

Rick would you take the Ural?? ( just asking as a measuring stick is all, you know that I ride in a 1950's style is all)
  14. FIIG Rick

Oddometer:
    I had a dream I took the Ural down the Connie Sue the other night, woke up screaming, sweating and crying and I'd shit my pants:huh, so Maybee.
    Hey bully, I just realised my Ural is as old as you! how about that!!:rofl
  15. bully1

bully1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:D

not quite but pretty close, 'bout 10 years out. ( I'm only a pup, just had a hard life, putting up with shit from tossers like you) :lol3:rofl:D:evil
  16. DANNOj

DANNOj Long timer

Oddometer:
    PERFECT!!! Sounds like a dream road!!!! :clap:clap

This might fall a little too close to my CSR trip Shane, but on the other hand, its a good excuse for a shakedown run :evil (or we'll just call it that hey!)

Will keep my eye on the thread :thumb

Dan
  17. Pejie

Pejie old rider

Oddometer:
    A mate might be coming from Streaky Bay & I was thinking of meeting at Madura & heading up the madura loongana rd onto the aboriginal business rd & refueling at Ilkurlka then west on the anne beadell. Hema maps says you need a permit but the state dept of indiginous affairs seems to say not. So did the guys at Madura when Jesse was broken down there on the way to the OCR. Anybody got any idea of the state of those roads
  18. Hill Billy

Hill Billy Part-time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will need a permit and you will need to organise with the community to get fuel at Tjunttjuntjarra. It is possible that a permit may not be granted.

The Parallel No.2 road from the GCR to the Connie sue isn't a bad run but you will still find plenty of sand on the Connie Sue. It took us a solid day to cover under 400 k's going this way.
    Which ever way you go you will still have to carry a shit load of fuel.
    And yes, this ride will sort the men from the boys.
    If anyone doesn't like sand, probably best to stay home.
  19. Hill Billy

Hill Billy Part-time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You'll need a GPS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is also highly unlikely that you will be granted access to the road from Tjunttjuntjarra to Ilkurlka.
  20. bully1

bully1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The organising committee has certainly picked a great spot for Saturday night.

bastards :lol3:lol3:lol3