DESERT RAID Canning Stock Route Australia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Skids n Stuff, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Skids n Stuff

Skids n Stuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading north east into Canning Stock Route Well 5 for the bi-annual Desert Raid August 14/15 2021 and having a little fun along the way!
    Join me on the journey checking out the sights and expected terrain, and I hope you too can experience the wonder that is the Canning Stock Route.
    Cheers.
  2. atravlr

atravlr www.atasecuretravel.com

Oddometer:
    Great ride and commentary!
  3. Skids n Stuff

Skids n Stuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers and thanks for watching! Glad you enjoyed.
    leighwgold likes this.
  4. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A bucket list ride of mine, I have just about resigned to take the Daryl Beattie’s catered tour to take the complexities out of it all.

Very nice to read of these solo expeditions on the route. Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to get down there one of these days.
    leighwgold and Skids n Stuff like this.
  5. Skids n Stuff

Skids n Stuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doing the whole route is going to have to go on my bucket list. Either way you choose to do it, the place is surreal.
    The track got covid closed a day or so after this.
    Great to hear you found some value in the vid.
    leighwgold likes this.
  6. Skids n Stuff

Skids n Stuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More from this trip. This time using the afternoon to explore out to the beautiful Well 6 Pierre Spring and showing you around this fabled camp.
    OzWanderer likes this.
  7. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are a very skilled rider!!! The videos where much fun. Take Care Petepilot
  8. Skids n Stuff

Skids n Stuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another from this series.
    If you ever wondered what Australia's Canning Stock Route is like on a motorbike, this episode will give you an idea. We're going to run down the terrain, sights and hazards from Well 5 back to the start... 10% of the track. It's pretty basic riding, but some balk at it. Maybe not beginner friendly but novice/intermediate may be OK. If you are ever going to give the CSR a go, this is the section for it.
    leighwgold and Pete Pilot like this.
  9. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the video, amusing no wheel lock. As you punched the wheel lock hole, bet you where saying tire you not turn now you ffuucckker!!!!!
    My wife and I both retired and
    never been to your island. Would much like too. Seems to me renting a camper van and doing a few month wander seems like the best way to go? Maybe buying and selling a dr to haul in van also? Just got my second DR and made numerous changes. Including same tank your using. Thinking during winter it be suspension time. Firmer springs in forks and rear spring. I assume the way you pounding your dr the factory suspension has been upgraded? What changes did you make?
    Riding dirt in middle of bloody no where is far and away the best riding . Mon am I’ll pull my toy wagon from home to northern New Brunswick ( neighbouring province ) and hide the wagon in the bush and ride from there for 3 days. I’ll be riding crushed stone forestry roads and riding alone. Funny how I enjoy being alone with the TOTAL SILENCE. Take Care Petepilot
  10. Skids n Stuff

Skids n Stuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Warpig has had bare basic suspension upgrade with .54 front Spring and emulators with 7.5w oil. Rear got a 7.5 spring and revalve.
    Sounds like a good plan but a cheap smaller bike would probably do for that use.
    Yeh gotta ride solo hey for that real feeling of freedom :).
  11. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    I’m 245 with gear on, so I’m thinking maybe go up one more level with springs ??.?
  12. Skids n Stuff

Skids n Stuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quite likely. Your suspension tuner, or racetrack spring calculator should be able to get you sorted. Definitely worth the expense.
    Pete Pilot likes this.
  13. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    Skids, thanks for this. All the best. Petepilot
    p.s. By the way: The DR is my big bike. DRZ (440 ). WR250R ( I’ll be using it dec,Jan,feb and march in Baja Mexico)and ttr230. Used to do road bikes, sometimes quick but they got to bore me. Dirt in all forms is much better.
    Do continue to live LARGE!!!