1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

Desert therapy. (yup, another Baja rr).

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by muddyrabbit, Feb 3, 2012.

1. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Snooker keeps bugging me to start a ride report thread for our upcoming trip, so, here it is.

Let's see what should we take to Baja this time?

2 bastard step child BMW bikes (X-Country) check.

A fearless leader who's last trip was a disaster (me) check.

A pop star disguised as an ADV inmate (Snooker is actually the secret identity of Snooky, trust me) check.

1 roman emperor (Caesar) check.

1 girlfriend crazy enough to do this again, check.

We are taking crap like a spot tracker, spare tubes, pesos, tools, but none of that seems imporant. 6 days to departure, let's go!

O, check my signature for the Spotwalla link.
  2. flyingwombat

flyingwombat frozen dead guy

Oddometer:
    Good luck this time!! I wish I was going and I'm looking forward to the report. :clap
  3. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Tubes? Do I really need to bother with tubes and tools and all that silliness? I'll just steal from your XCountry while you're sleeping... oh wait I run the stock 17/19 and you switched to 18/21 wheels, hmmm I better rethink this. :lol3

My Great Basin bag came in last week and my D-ring mount on the right side fits great, and the footpeg mount on the left, so that was the biggest deal I needed to get done. This bag is AWESOME! But there is too much snow to go for a shakedown ride so the first day should be interesting...

This time Muddy has us 2 let's say "wiser" riders along to help teach the young pup how to make better decisions :lol3, otherwise known as backseat drivers... (did I mention my wife keeps calling you Mud Puppy?) :rofl

Vamanos amigos... For those of you following along, my Spotwalla Baja link below should become active the day we start on bikes from San Felipe.

-matteo
  4. BigBeemerBob

BigBeemerBob Just call me "Beemer Bob"

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip. Be safe.

When you start, post your SPOT link do we can follow along
  5. snooker

Oddometer:
    Conejo Fangoso
    (that is Muddy Rabbit's name south of the border). sounds like a 200 year old Mexican Vampiress.. :lol3
  6. FatherX

FatherX riding in circles

Oddometer:
    :*sip*
  7. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    After Muddy's last trip, you should pack some crutches, plaster for casts, and lots of Oxycodone. :lol3 Subscribed.
  8. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    No, no, you go to the pharmacia after you cross the border for the oxy.
  9. snooker

Oddometer:
    From our planning thread, this may be our general route.
  10. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about some pics for us here?:nod
    We need to see how the Great Basin fits on the G650X...:evil
  11. snooker

Oddometer:
    Actually fits great IF you use the left passenger footpeg bracket to keep it away from the exhaust. I'll get a pic from the road, kinda busy packing now... But here is DiscoDino's XChallenge pics: LINKY
  12. farrell caesar

farrell caesar Seezer

Oddometer:
    Interesting to refine process of planning a trip. Exploring options, changing plans and making a final decision. Not wanting to add up how much was spent on preparing bike etc. Woke up the little town I live in yesterday with the header and FMF pipe on the DR650. Wow it runs good ! I love that flat slide ! Opened up the idle screw a bunch to make it less cold blooded. I wonder if it beats a Beemer X challenge ? 2 gal pax tank gives me some peace of mind. The Ricor and 325 front tire make it even taller, but i'm familiar with tall bikes having a KTM 950 a few yrs ago. I'm pumped !!
  13. snooker

Oddometer:
    They are in our signatures, for me and Muddy (Fangoso).
  14. FatherX

Oddometer:
    I heard the BWT* honk as it went through Burton around 7:05 this morning. IT has begun.

*Big White Truck
    [​IMG]
  15. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Almost out of Ohio! Thanks to our US Post Master relative the farking MAPS that we forgot will catch up to us at a post office in Albuquerque.
  16. FatherX

Oddometer:
    Maps?? you don't need no stinkin' maps!

:cromag

YES....I intend to kibitz throughout the entirety of your adventure ( wouldn't want you to miss me) .:*sip*
  17. farrell caesar

farrell caesar Seezer

Oddometer:
    I don't need no stinkin laptop. Had virus this morning. Gettin linix put on at shop. And away we go !
  18. FatherX

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

<table class="text-small"><tbody><tr><td>Date:</td><td>2012-02-09 17:25:45</td></tr><tr><td>TZone:</td><td>America/Chicago</td></tr><tr><td>Coords:</td><td>38.60569, -89.68201</td></tr><tr><td>Bearing:</td><td>20° NNE</td></tr><tr><td>MPH:</td><td>1.16</td></tr><tr><td>KPH:</td><td>1.93</td></tr><tr><td>Knots:</td><td>1.01</td></tr><tr><td>Source:</td><td>SPOT</td></tr><tr><td>Type:</td><td>TRACK</td></tr></tbody></table>
  19. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Good luck guys!

Looks like one hell of a fun time!!!
  20. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be crossing at Algodones around 10 today, Headed for San Felipe and points south, Sooo if you see a guy on a loaded up Kawai Super Sherpa that be me.