1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Desierto 3 Fairing for F800GS, whose got one?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AKTroy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Trekka273

Trekka273 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have two on order in Australia as well (one for my bike and one for my wife's bike). Unfortunately there is a long wait for these...
  2. Met n GS

Met n GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't believe people spend so much money on these! I'm not saying I wouldn't want one. But I don't see one in my future for that price :/
  3. supasonic

supasonic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to testride a bike with it and it was awesome! The looks and the wind protection were perfect! I like it a lot, but i agree with you. This is really expensive.
    Here in Germany we call Touratech also "Teuertech". It means expensive-tech :D
  4. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    I felt the same way as you... before I rode the bike with the screen fitted. I tried a number of different screens on the bike and didn't like any of them. After five minutes riding with the Touratech fairing I knew that I had found the screen I wanted for my bike as it just worked so well. I really didn't want to spend that amount of money, however it is very easy to spend a lot of money trying different screens and not getting the result that you want and if the screen works, as it does for me, then it probably works out better in the long run. There is the alternative option which is similar and cheaper, the Mirage 2 fairing from Britannia Composites, and it is apparently quite good, however I personally don't like the way it looks around the instrument cluster.
  5. Met n GS

Met n GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm familiar with it
    In south africa you get the d3 for zar15, 000 which is about $1150 US
    In the States you can get it for $850 which is about zar11, 350

I see m2 is about $700
    A bit cheaper

You can do a lot with that amount of money
    Almost as much as a school teachers pay check
  6. N4pSt3R

N4pSt3R SaradisSt

Oddometer:
    I am waiting the Desierto this week, I use one at my old R1200GS and I try a friends F800gs with one install and is the best for the wind for my opinion, the price is good for me because is a little more expensive from the official Adventure windsield with all the part which need for the install, and much better looking.
  7. AsOldAsDirt

AsOldAsDirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a2012 f650gs, special edition model. I bought it used with the d3 on it. Love the look, but did not give the protection of the madstad that I had on my 2010 model. An unfortunate encounter with a buzzard at 60-65 mph put an end to that bike and the madstad. Thanks to atgatt I came away with just a broken hand. I noticed that much of protection problem was coming from below the d3 fairing. Remembering the winglets that madstad offers , I ordered a set, and they work great with the d3..very easy install, but you have to be careful to match the angle of the winglets off the lower fairing. I am happy with results. Please note, I very seldom exceed 80 mph, but short bursts up to 90 were very smooth and stable.
    supasonic likes this.
  8. supasonic

supasonic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have some pics? Thx
  9. goyko

goyko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got a used one for 400$. Mounting it as we speak. :D
  10. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i eyeballed that for sale . they're really rare to find in the flea market. congrats and enjoy it.
  11. goyko

goyko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I know. That's why I couldn't pass on it.

Attached Files:

12. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    Lucky you!! I just installed my Touratech unit last week, though mine was new and a lot more expensive!
    20170209_190303.jpg
    dpike and Nickhob like this.
  13. dpike

Oddometer:
    i like your headlight guard too. CeeBailey ?
  14. Trekka273

Oddometer:
    To be honest with you I am not sure, it was on the bike when I bought it. I am sure I would have the receipt for it amongst the paperwork that I have for the bike. I like them, it makes it very easy to clean as they come off for cleaning, and clip/push straight back on.
  15. reg71

reg71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bumping this old thread. I have read through every post here and I'm still undecided. :) I tried the link to Brittania, but I find no mention of the Mirage 2 or 3 on their website. I have seen some on bikes that are for sale, though.

Luckily I have a friend who bought the TT so I have gotten a look at it in person. We have exactly the same bike except his is is lower than mine so I'm not sure riding his would give me an accurate representation of where the wind would hit on mine.

Anyway, I don't really see anything else out there at the moment so I may bite the bullet on the TT before long.

FWIW I'm 6'1" 34"inseam and just upgraded to a C3Pro (which already seems to be helping with wind noise).

Since GS is my primary transportation I may go ahead and spend the $$.

Are there other comparable looking but lower cost alternatives out there at this point in time? As someone in this thread said a few years ago I'm surprised someone hasn't more or less copied or improved upon the original.
  16. Ian B

Ian B Fairing Manufacturer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a result of the demand, Britannia are re tooling to produce the Mirage 2 again with some slight changes and a better screen and it will be available at the end of this month. Not up on the website yet so contact us for more info.
    Maseyboy likes this.
  17. dpike

Oddometer:
    nice to hear Ian.
    this "better screen" you speak of... this is the lynx screen correct ?

i just picked up a f700 for wifeypoo and i'm happy that this will be available for her.
  18. Ian B

Ian B Fairing Manufacturer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've been somewhat overwhelmed by the correspondence on bringing the M2 back and so 'where there is a will there is a way' ! It's therefore a good opportunity to tweak a few things with new tooling to improve it and yes, the screen will either be the Lynx R Touring screen or similar because it gave such good results back along in testing.
  19. goyko

goyko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back when I used to babe 800gs, I found used touratech desierto for 450$. Best money spent for that Gs ever. That fairing was awesome, I freaking adored it. You wouldn't believe how big of a difference it made.
  20. reg71

reg71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I'll go take a look at some of the pics online to see how they compare at least in the looks dept.