1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Desierto 3 Fairing for F800GS, whose got one?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AKTroy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:

:shark Thanks Frank!! Now I'll have to go out and buy one! They're only about $1,100.00 here. I've already checked! :pep
  2. go coastal

go coastal n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Zaner32,

If you can possibly find a US address to use you will save yourself about $230. I just ordered one from Seattle and had it shipped to a buddy in Port Angeles Wash. All in, with dollar difference, tax, and shipping factored in it was $935 CAD. That's enough if you ask me; too much in fact for an already overpriced item (I can't believe I actually paid that). I sent a message to Touratech Canada and asked them where they got their price from (Ze Motherland no doubt). I explained that I would rather support the Canadian Team but just couldn't justify the price difference. No reply yet...

I'm a noob but it seems most people on here are pretty friendly; somebody on here would probably let you ship it to them and then forward it on.

Ben
  3. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    JP, If your crazy enough to pull the trigger on one, I'll do that for you my friend.
  4. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Ben, if you live within a reasonable distance from the border you can also ship to CanAmer Freight in Blaine Washington and they only charge you about $3 for receiving it. But, then again you might as well just ride down to Seattle without a fairing and install it and ride back :evil

I've been working on a design that will attach to the stock screen that will do the same thing for probably less than half the price, but that is a little down the road from now.
  5. go coastal

go coastal n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip markymcd. I had no idea that you could do that. I think that's going to come in handy. I live in Victoria so Port Angles and Blaine are about the same distance/cost for me. Still a helpful tip though.

I'm intrigued about your future mod to the stock screen. Sounds far more reasonable! Keep us informed. :wink:

Ben
  6. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:

And... about 90% of the time, I haven't been charged duty or tax when coming back over the border... must be my smile :D

I'll keep the crew here in touch to my progress for the shield... i'm working on the proto now for the side 'wing' accessory and doing lots of research and thinking about a simple & easy to adjust universal system for a front shield and bracket.
  7. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    When you do, make sure the 2 adjusting surfaces have some kind of teeth embedded in them like the 1200 has. The ability to adjust foward is key.
  8. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know, i've never used this process yet, but if this foolishness continues I will. I just ordered a Garmin Oregon 300 from the US and got it for $200 less in Cdn money cheaper delivered than buying here locally.

Thanks Frank. :freaky I might take you up on that someday, but I have a place just across the border where I can have it shipped. I'm just lining up to get prices on other things and setting up for delivery in May.
  9. dukedar

dukedar 60 easy payments!

Oddometer:
    The dealer where I bought my bike is also TT Canada...

It looks like they are closed from the 25th of Dec. through Jan 11!

http://www.motointer.com/BMW/en-CA/index.aspx?CatID=56

I wouldn't expect a response too soon :deal
  10. jeffchri

jeffchri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely a conflict here, though not anything close to a deal breaker for me. I heard the final word from the helpful folks at Touratech:

This is a known issue. The desierto fairing by design works decently as an anti glare shield. before you file anything I recommend going for a ride at night with the glare shield removed and see what you think.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Sales Team<o:p></o:p>
    Touratech-USA / CycoActive Inc.

I'll give it a whirl this evening and see what I think. I rather like the look of the anti-glare guard, however, so once I'll probably do some filing anyway ...
  11. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Zaner, contact Eric at a vicious cycle in ON, I believe he can get this stuff at very good prices.

Tell him I sent you.
  12. jeffchri

Oddometer:
    Another update: got the zumo mounted fairly nicely by drilling out a new RAM ball mount point. Some pics follow ...

New mounting point (and old one, the lower one, that didn't work well):
    [​IMG]

GPS and fairing/windscreen mounted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Works quite well, though there is more vibration than I'm used to, compared to when it was mounted on the bars. I think I can finagle something to help damp the vibes, we'll see. LOVE having the GPS that far forward, makes it easy to read while keeping eyes (mostly) on the road.

Final pic, capturing my "re-branding" of the fairing ... it has a giant Touratech symbol, which I'm not a big fan of, so I used a spare rondel and stuck it on. It looks quite good, IMHO.
    [​IMG]

Kinda want to get a big roadbook holder next .... not sure where it'd go, though.
  13. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    That is EXACTLY what I was thinking of. Cant wait to see how the vibration thing works out. Im SO close to ordering one.
  14. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Interesting: Bit annoying TT don't put known 'conflicts' next to all their parts in the catalogue. For the price you pay, that short of thing should be included as part of the service. I had wondered about the Darth Vader bit acting as a glare shield as I noticed the overhang on the lights (which is where the fouling would occur). It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how well this 'feature' works compared to the original glare shield. I run dual 50W HID and do the lion's share of my riding at night so it's a fairly important factor to me.

Like others, I was secretly hoping it'd be a bit gash. :)

In the up and 'fore' position, the lines/angle echo the new Tenere to me, me likey. Interesting to see that you can adjust it without tools too. IIRC, TT '09 catalogue claimed you needed a size 6 spanner to adjust it. Makes much more sense to have finger screws like that.
  15. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kelsow. I wasn't aware that Eric was a Touratech distributor.
  16. jeffchri

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, that ... definitely isn't as good a shield as the separate anti-glare shield. I have dual HID replacements as well and I find quite a bit of light catches the back side of the Desierto and reflects upwards and back.

I'll contact the TT guys again with that info and see what their suggestions are. There IS the possibility you can attack the anti-glare shield with a Dremel and make it fit, and it could actually look quite spiffy if you do it right ... but yes, it's a bit of a drag.
  17. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    The TT glare shield is hard plastic right and that is the problem? What if you could replace that with a rubber one that would flex at the necessary point? I have the complete set up and the rubber shield works great!

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-60-replacement-rubber-seal-for-lightguard.aspx
  18. jeffchri

Oddometer:
    Ah, great! I ordered one, I'll see how it works. At the very least it's a $10 part I can cut/trim and play around with, and it looks like it should work okay with the BMW headlight guard.
  19. tumbleweed695

tumbleweed695 tumbleweed695

Oddometer:
    Thanks Frank and Jeff for all the great pics and testing.Ill be calling TT to get mine.The thing looks so awsome:clap .
  20. jeffchri

Oddometer:
    I got the Best Rest flexible glare shield thingy and it doesn't look half bad. Haven't ridden it much to figure out how well it works, but a quick checks suggests that it'll work fine. Thanks for the pointer! I'll post a pic at some point.

Beware that this fairing is more expensive than it seems, however - sure, it starts with the $800 for the actual fairing, but then factor in the rally riding dreams it tends to generate, and pretty soon you're ordering a roadbook, computers, huge tanks, and a ticket to Africa (or Argentina) ...
    Lonster11 likes this.