Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    The logic here is something like ,

This taco is $59.99
    taco.png

But this taco is $3.99, with shrimp, steak, unlimited cheese, and free beer.
    shrimp-tacos.jpg

Then, after mulling it over for weeks, about to starve to death, they choose the two dimensional, flat, cold, no-hot-sauce-no-beer-no-cheese-no-options taco, because

Well hell, I really don't know why.
  2. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where did you find that taco for $3.99??? I want one! :imaposer
    ohgood likes this.
  3. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    $3.99? We pay $1.50 from the taco truck just across the border (Can/US border that is).
    filterx, Eatmore Mudd and ohgood like this.
  4. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Mmmmm...tacos...
    filterx and ohgood like this.
  5. ixab

ixab just Aaron, really Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the taco measurement system could be applied to basically every X vs Y thread on this site. And should be. Always.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’ve outdone yourself ohgood. A master of the overstatement.
    filterx, Eatmore Mudd and ohgood like this.
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    iPhone = wrong tool for the job. Not trying to start another Android vs iOS fight, but the cold hard facts is Android apps for nav are far superior to iOS apps.
    filterx, GR0NK, bad luck and 2 others like this.
  8. HLK

HLK aka Hielke

Oddometer:
    W
    Well. I both agree and disagree with you. Right now I use Maps3D on my iPhone to create a GPX over breakfast and then mail it to my buddies and the Xperia Z ultra 6.8" phablet on my bike, using Locus and a Bluetooth remote on the handlebars to zoom, scroll, rotate and and center the map. I can't tell you how awesome this works. I can crank out at awesome 95% offroad route in 10 minutes in an area I've never been and we're up and riding in another 5 minutes.

It's so fast and flexible and fun. The only thing I'm still working out is the whole smartphone on the handlebar thing. I've hardwired the phablet to eliminate the dodgy micro USB connector, but I stil haven't found a charging solution that lasts on my thumper.
  9. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    What remote are you using? I'm experiencing with something like that: https://www.amazon.fr/ACGAM-Gamepad-Bluetooth-Télécommande-Joystick/dp/B01NBDM4AJ and it works quite good (even use it to screen off/on so i don't have to bother with charging solution for the moment). But I guess it's going to die someday (rain/mud/dust) and I can't find something more sturdy. I'm considering building my own as a fun personnal project but this will take time and usually ends up expensive :D.
  10. HLK

HLK aka Hielke

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

It's this one on AliExpress
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/OFRfurO

I got it for €5,32 by the way. It's been holding up quite for that past two weeks and I take it of at night. Being able to zoom and center the map while riding is super cool. Like you I've been researching designing my own....but apparently it's not that easy or cheap to build a Bluetooth remote based on arduino or similar.

I'm riding in the Morvan right now...it's amazing!
    Argus16 likes this.
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    So what you're saying is you use an ANDROID tablet on your bike for navigation and not a iPad? :dunno:dunno:dunno
  12. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha, ok, really looks like mine.
    And yes a simple small HID bluetooth board device simply does not seem to exist. I wonder if buying more cheap units like those and simply recasing it with waterproof buttons etc is not the way to go :)

Morvan is really nice yeah.. hope the weather is not threatening there, very heavy and dangerous rains near some places I use to ride in the south of France. Have fun!
  13. HLK

HLK aka Hielke

Oddometer:
    The thing is, the 4 keys on the front are the type where a rubber pad crosses a bunch of copper lines on the circuit board, if that makes any sense. I don't see how I can connect regular switches...I'll have to take another look when I get home.

Maybe we could 'simply' use the controller chip and place it on a custom board.

I can get 5 of the 6 keys and the directional pad to work with Locus just by putting the right keycodes in the config file and with the remote in gamepad mode. One key is the android back key, and not use able for locus except when you use some keyboard remapper.

Otherwise it's pretty good quality for the money. Bluetooth connects consistently, battery lasts for days and charges very fast.

Actually....the weather is great, couldn't be better. We were riding in the Spanish Pyrenees earlier, saw the storm coming in, packed up and traveled to Morvan on Sunday. I can't believe some of the stuff you can legally ride here.
  14. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see the problem with the key connection... didn't open it yet.

For me the code "4" worked in locus config file for the "back" key of the controller, but i use it for screen off/screen off, I remember some weird behavior if binded to other functions as android would think you want to leave app or whatever.
    Very good battery life indeed, real test case one day riding no problem, and I left it "connected" to my smartphone for 8 or 9 days (but with only a few key press per day) before battery ran out.
  15. White Raven

White Raven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    l feel it necessary reminding myself to keep riding simple, so l have fun, not agitated by bells and whistles. I want everyone to use a gps that best suits them. What works my style riding, may not be yours...
  16. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see your point, actually it's "keep riding simple" (while still using a gps...) that throw me in that handelbar controller direction. I found out with screen always on I had a tendency to look at it way to much, without necessity. Now i use the controller mainly to switch screen on/off, this also allows me to run all day with the smartphone on battery so no fucking wiring/usb. Quick buttons to center map/zoom in&out are just the icing on the cake. I should add start/pause recording track. :)
  17. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:

Locus maps pro will auto turn off and turn on the screen and will auto zoom based on speed.
    ohgood and sprouty115 like this.
  18. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep auto turn on near waypoints or pois is very nice, but i don't have them (pois or waypoint) all the time. I may be following (not "navigating") a barebone track or no track at all but still want to look at the map.
    Auto-turn off after a while works most of the time but can be annoying when you don't want it to turn off, obviously.
    Same for auto-zoom, it works most of the time, but it's frequent to zoom out when stopped to see a bigger picture

Btw screen on/off with proximity sensor of smartphones works well, but is not as straightforward as that button near your left grip.
  19. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have tried car GPS and cell phone. Cannot see either one in daylight. Garmin etrex 20 very visible in daylight. Garmin wins.
  20. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Wunderlinq and a BMW wiz wheel grafted in the bar would be interesting.