Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. HLK

HLK aka Hielke

Oddometer:
    Definitely. As much as I like gadgets, they can be a source of distraction. I don't want to be troubleshooting my navigation (or my buddies' for that matter), I just want to ride. That's why I usually just have locus display a track on the map, with no instructions.

The remote allows me to manipulate the map while I'm riding (slowly) or at least without taking my gloves off. Plotting a small detour can be done on the go. Being able to zoom and toggle map rotation has saved us many navigation errors and uturns, making the riding more fluid and fun.
    ohgood likes this.
  2. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do the same - turn on Locus, switch to Airplane mode and then ride. My phone runs all day without issue. Charge at night and then repeat.
    ohgood likes this.
  3. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

I set the hardware buttons to zoom in and out......that way I can manipulate it with gloves, because its rare I actually need to rotate.
  4. White Raven

White Raven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Service provider service not required for GPS. Most all phones send detail location data. You can utilize this. l had.
  5. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cell network isn’t required but will be used if available. There are some situations where cellular data will improve things - especially since the GPS radio frequency is ideally suited to a 12” antenna.

GPS units for large ships are that size - and they’re on open water with no buildings/trees/mountains to get in the way.

Because of that, our phones are constantly working with partial data. Cellular and WiFi triangulation help fill in the gaps.
    CROSSBOLT likes this.
  6. White Raven

Oddometer:
    I have "Pro Satellite" without wifi! It tells me how many satellites l'm fixed to. It informs my pitch/roll to degree my motorcycle is on what elevation. l travel in deep wooded, secluded areas without towers and it always lays out horse trails and much better detail combined with "OsmAnd."

Attached Files:

7. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    what this about "send detail data" ?
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:

1 what? how ? the only way that cellular/wifi will help is when a constellation request is issued by the user, or the startup times are poor because of old/bad constellation info. triangulation via cellular/wifi is -always- poorer location info than gps trilateration.... unless the device is underground, with 4-5 cellular/wifi towers in the cave with it.

2 gps on ships are dealing with multipath errors. this has nothing to do with the size of the device an everything to do with how smart the processing is at weeding out the extra bounced signals. think for a moment of trying to sell a 4" display to a tugboat captain... is he ever going to consider a tiny display vs a 15" ?

3 what's this partial data thing?

4 cellular and wifi can only be used to
    a) triangulate
    b) update constellation information

in the case of a) cellular and wifi will provide POORER location info than a few gps pings from 3-4 sources. that's why when gps is not enabled, but cellular/wifi are enabled, your position estimation will hop/jump somewhere between a football field and MILES. triangulation suffers even worse than trilateration because there are generally fewer cellular towers available than there are gps pings.

when using b) it's only during the startup processes, or when the user/app requests new constellation info to work with. it has nothing to ADD to trilateration, but everything to detract from the computations, via triangulations poorer info.

cellular triangulation is normally via two cellular towers. maybe three if you have really good line of sight in a heavily covered area. that gives you possibly +/- 100 meters.

gps/glonass trilateration normally provides between ten to TWENTY ping sources, depending on the terrain.

there are some decent articles on wiki about trilateration vs triangulation, or about a million technical docs you don't mind weddingw through them.

:-)
    Eatmore Mudd and CapeMan like this.
  9. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^+1

I've never had an issue following a track in the Eastern US or Canada with only using GPS signals. The truth is that you don't need a track to be accurate to 100-feet for every minute of the ride, because 100-feet in any direction of the trail I'm currently on is either dense forest or water, and I don't need a cell tower to tell me I'm off-route if I'm up to my neck in a lake...
  10. White Raven

Oddometer:
    My schedule is busy that l almost didn't comment prior. Perhaps you will find it; four phones, two android, two iPhones. One from each category from a service provider, other two not. The information they transmit is shocking.
    Surely you were aware!
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:

what the hell ?
    8Mfc.gif
    Kyle K, Albie, BigFatAl and 2 others like this.
  12. White Raven

Oddometer:
    Figure it out! Does everyone have to spell it out for you! Really! Is that you in your post? Kinda sums up your questions...
  13. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    :asshat
  14. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I agree, it seems like this guy is saying it sends this data over GPS. This is getting tin foil hat like.
  15. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I wouldn't be so paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me...
  16. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    That is easy, turn off all of the transceivers.

The devices that I navigate with don't have SIM cards. Wifi is off unless I am updating something (normally at home) and bluetooth has to be set to pair.
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    really no idea. i hate that people get offended instead of understanding that "it's just a question".
    Eatmore Mudd and Kropotkin like this.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:
    the legion of hitmen waiting to pounce on us all must be tremendous. ;-)
    DRONE likes this.
  19. pontoon

pontoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the best iPhone app for following some tracks? I'm looking for something that can import a GPX file and follow it in a sane way that'll help me avoid missing turns. The route is gpsKevin's badwater 500 (mostly or entirely on roads/dirt roads).

I have motionX and am hoping to try something else. MotionX is looking really dated in 2018...

http://www.gpskevinadventurerides.com/home/upcoming-rides/badwater-19

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1i3aTCXi3aPJGGfxuqrzYirJom0bTyy1G&ll=36.54321755994107,-117.35276700000003&z=8
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:

probably motion x or Gaia. i heard lots of good things about both of them