Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try Galileo Pro.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mr Head and NJDualsporter like this.
  2. pontoon

pontoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been told it’s best to use two devices. One zoomed out and one zoomed in. That way the big picture of the route/end goal is always known, so the choice between left and right can be made (when choices are given), and the zoomed in map makes it easy to know exactly where the turn is. Ideally I’d just use one device. Is it possible to have a phone app that will automatically zoom in and out as trail junctions occur?
  3. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many apps have that feature, Locus is what I use.

Maybe I don't use tracks the way most people do, but I wouldn't use any phone/GPS if I didn't need it, and I certainly can't imagine using and managing two phones.
    ohgood likes this.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    two devices in use is two devices that can possibly be destroyed at one time, in one crash. note, before everyone says "I've been riding with two since dinosaurs peed fossil fuels" it needs to be understood that i haven't broken one single phone while riding single track, let alone on dirt roads, or riding anywhere. i do carry a second phone in my pack, in case i finally do destroy one.

locus, mentioned in the comment before mine, will zoom in/out avoiding to your speed. you can accept the stock speed values, or choose to input your own:
    Screenshot_2018-11-14-07-55-34.png Screenshot_2018-11-14-07-55-23.png

the autozoom tospeed function is active when you're:
    a) recording a track
    b) navigating a route
    c) guiding along a track
    d) guiding to a waypoint

i think there are other instances when the auto zoom will be active but those are the free I'm familiar with.

i also use tracks a lot, without using navigation/guidance. recording a track while riding and letting the screen auto zoom avoidingac to my speed is EXTREMITY HELPFUL in areas I'm not familiar, ace i consider it a huge safety feature. here's an example of a turn i would really like to know about, while approaching at speed, at night, with a 100 meter cliff:
    Screenshot_2018-11-14-07-59-36.png
    (the map is black to protect the innocent)

auto zoom to speed is available in stone other applications, but (sigh) I'm always using locus.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  5. pontoon

pontoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The recommendation was one standalone GPS and one phone.

Speed sensitive zoom sounds better than nothing, but ideally it would zoom in as I get within a mile of a trail junction (e.g. the tracks fork as you commonly see when there’s an easy and a hard option). After passing the trail junction it would then zoom out again.
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:

I'm trying to imagine a scenario when auto zoom to speed wouldn't work for this...

desert racing maybe?
    coming up to a split in the trail at 100mph...
    then
    coming up to a split in the trail again at 10mph.

auto zoom is going to be perfect for only one of these scenarios... then screw it up for the other 40-50 mph ranges that you want it to zoom in again at the waypoint/turn.

hmm. sounds like it's time to make a request for "proximity zoom to group of waypoints" on the locus developer forum.
  7. pontoon

pontoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The thought is if I don’t notice the split due to the zoomed out level, I might remain at high speed, thus staying zoomed out and blowing past the turn.

Also it looks like Locus isn’t on iOS.
  8. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just spent two weeks in and around London. We used my iPhone 6S, and Galileo Pro to navigate, mostly on foot. The Turn by turn nav is a bit wonky as the sound takes a bit of time to chime in, but worked well enough once I got things sorted.
    Hiccups were forgetting to select walking mode versus car. This walked us all over the place because of a bunch of one way streets, but walking we got a lot of steps. :lol3

There isn't a public transit mode, but I'd downloaded the train and bus stops and stations. That worked to find closest station, then we would use the TubeMap app to check what train and all. Really easy public transit there. :clap
    No way would I want to try and deal with a car or even motorcycle in town. Parking has to be a nightmare and traffic made LA look easy.
    After two weeks I was just beginning to get down which way to look where.

We didn't buy a cell plan for the time we were there so depended on WiFi at our Air B&B to figure out what I needed then go from that. If I were to do it differently we would base in Greenwich or Chelsea and buy a cell and data plan for the time we were there.

The downloaded offline maps were brilliant. Worked very well. The tricky bit with Galileo Pro is the little arrow symbol. Many times I could not tell which way to set off, so would begin walking and check the arrow. Many, many times we had to reverse track to the right way round. :imaposer
    easier on foot than on a moto.

I never had a time when a stand alone GPS device would have been better in any way other than that setting off thing.
  9. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent almost a month driving from London to Rome a few months ago and used a iPhone 7s and google maps and it was perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    ok cool, sounds like im catching on. ill see if there is a request in the queue.

correct, locus is android only. the developer said a few years ago that developing forr two platforms was cost prohibitive.
  11. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:

I hate auto zoom. The GPS units and phones apps I have that auto zoomed were usually horrible IMHO.

It is OK if you are absolutely following a strict path. But I am often on a casual ride, and the route that is displayed is just a reference. If it zoomed in at the upcoming point, I would miss the fact there there is a more interesting road 1 mile ahead. Then when you make the turn it zooms out so far that you can't see any of the small local roads.

So I keep auto zoom off, unless I am on a route that I want to follow fairly accurately, then and only then is it a good thing.
    The Locus speed zoom, where it can be configured, might work out.
    ohgood likes this.
  12. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I keep it off as well. The zooming in and out screws with the rhythm of how soon a turn is coming.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. pontoon

pontoon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you zoom in close enough to see where the turns are, how do you see the whole 150/200 mike route? Or do you not zoom in that far? How far do you zoom in?
  14. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Don't actually know the zoom setting. I also don't know anyone who rides with the entire route showing. Why would you do that?

As I mentioned earlier, if I'm following a track I really only look down when a turn see a chance to turn (on the actual trail).

And if I'm following a route, it seems to default to a decent level and it just works.

In Locus you also have a distance to the next turn notification on the screen so after a turn I look down and see how far the next one is. Then I don't really look down until it feels like I'm getting close.
    scfrank likes this.
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I use the hardware (volume bottons) if I need to see when/where the next town is I zoom it way out, after 4-5 seconds it'll go back to whatever my zoom by speed is.

Once you get it tweeked to your liking the zoom by speed is quite nice, because I am not still running 110-120km/h if I think there is a turn within the next 400m so when I slow it zooms to 200m (if I remember) right and I carry on.

I think I have the speed set to 2km @ 100km/h and 4 km @on the ouside, there are three four strata in the middle as well, but I don't remembe what I tweeked them to.
  16. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    yokesman likes this.
  17. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Can't say that I've heard of it, but it looks interesting.
  18. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    so far have tried REVER... rate it one star so far....... and others.. still looking for something I am happy with
  19. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I've seen Rever and was less than impressed.
    jjustj likes this.
  20. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    ^ what he said.
    jjustj likes this.