Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know. Looked at the front page and it's all about sharing, community, blabla. Free maps, but what are they exactly (osm?).. some offline features, but what exactly (full maps, maps around tracks, routing engine?)
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

all i can find is videos of quads and trucks on their website. no usage videos/tutorials ?
  3. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol i though the same at first, but you can click on each "feature" at the bottom of the home page and there is a small description+screenshots there. Looks like a perfect example of form/design over function...
    ohgood likes this.
  4. Kyle Komline

Kyle Komline Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Garmin 60csx is on its last legs, and I'm looking to replace it. Thinking about getting a waterproof Android phone with no cell/data plan, and using it as my sole gps. I'm a longtime iPhone user, and the breadth of Android phones available is baffling to me. Are there any current or recent models of phone anyone can recommend that might make for the best gps unit? If it matters, I do a pretty even mix of pavement/remote off-road riding. Looking for something durable/waterproof for sure.
  5. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Any Android phone or Apple phone will work as a GPS unit. My Samsung S5, bought used in Fleamarket, is at least water resistant. But it is not sunlight readable.

Primary issue may be sunlight screen readability. None I've tried (Apple & Android) can be read in sunlight. So the ol' Garmin Montana still has a job.
    White Raven, Dracula and Kyle Komline like this.
  6. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a long thread on the Kyocera:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ultra-rugged-kyocera-phones-gps-smartphones-my-guide.1206076/

I have one of these I use for both phone and GPS. I also have my older Samsung S4-Active which I still use as a GPS as well as an even older Android music player (no phone at all). I really don't have a problem with readability with either one. Not always perfect but certainly usable. I have been using these for GPS ever since Android was released; have never even used a Garmin (or any dedicated GPS) and never felt the need.
  7. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Well, that Kyocera review certainly is encyclopedic and it sounds good. I scanned the review it, searching for a sunlight screen photo or evaluation of such, and couldn't find one. Inmate Drone noted in post No. 5 that he couldn't either. Is that appraisal in there somewhere?
  8. Jnich77

Jnich77 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use an older GPS that I "potted" to make it water proof. It's hard wired to the bike and mounted using a camera mount.

It's been through nasty West Texas winter storms and years of Florida thunderstorms with zero problems. While it hasn't been updated in years, it still gets me where I need to go.

Attached Files:

9. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure it was done somewhere.. Probably @ohgood posted something but I have no idea where to look for it!
  10. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run with a Kyocera mounted next to my BMW Nav V, I find them equally readable in sunlight. If I have trouble reading one, I have trouble reading the other.
    Having never seen a Montana in person I can't address it's visibility in sunlight but my Kyocera generally doesn't have a problem with glare.

The reason I run both is because the Nav V came with the bike but it's map display is so crude compared to most cell phone apps I run the cell phone for when I want a more informative and detailed map display.
  11. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ip68 waterproof, micro sd slot, great phone for locus maps pro
    https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-X4-XT1900-2-Unlocked/dp/B07BDW3GV8
    https://tinyurl.com/ya93nom6

I mount this verticle with a ram x mount and for the 30 minutes per day the sun is low enough to cause glare issues...I just raise my hand if need to glance at it....the screen on a montana is only better at compensating for this alone...all the other endless hours of use the android screen is far far superior with higher resolution, better colors, shading of luscious maps displayed on locus or osmand.

This is a modern set up. Struggling with the garmin limitations and the t_rd known as basecamp is to be left behind in the $22 ebay scrap heap.
    Kyle Komline and MrMac like this.
  12. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it ill work but I suggest you avoid apple because:
    1. can't run Locus Maps Pro
    2. no microsd card slot . BIG DEAL!!!
    3. closed system...too much of a pain to load data in and out
    4. price of ip68 waterproof iphone is much more than comparable android
    MrMac likes this.
  13. White Raven

White Raven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After my input regarding Osmand, please understand it's not simple to control and when it comes to fast "need to get" somewhere it is best to keep simple... Don't listen to a few people, do research. Be honest to your needs...
  14. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I have the Kyocera Dura Force Pro. For me it is a single device solution. Phone, text, email, camera, music. I use google online for most of my daily point A to point B nav and short multi point trips where I know I will have data. For following tracks I use Galileo Pro. It is on and off line capable.

As far as seeing the screen in direct sunlight, I find that just tweaking the mount angle a bit helps greatly. Sometimes it is a little dim when I have the internal sun visor down in my helmet. Nothing I can't live with though.

Bottom line, for the $$ I don't think an android phone can be beat as a GPS. Yes, there may be better GPS only units out there, but if cost is a factor, an android device is probably the best bet, imho. YMMV
    Cro59, MrMac and Kyle Komline like this.
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:

I'm using the Kyocera xd

used it's very cheap

sunlight readability is not as good as the transflective display on the 60** but it's much larger and has much more functionality

I've tossed it down the road, dropped it in mud puddles, and enjoyed it's long running battery for a while now.

currently I'm also trying the Galaxy s5 active, but i think i like the cheap Kyocera better. it's easier to hold, longer battery life, rooted, and feels less fragile
    Kyle Komline likes this.
  16. White Raven

White Raven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, perhaps look through some old posts on the subject...
  17. CapeMan

CapeMan Dirt Duffer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whow! A rooted XD? How, who, where, please? (I've looked earlier but no joy, but maybe now ... I think I'd love me some root!)
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I'll link to the apps/versions in the morning. it was pretty easy
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:

i used

Effect_20190107_084827.jpg

to root the xd. it took one or two tries i think.

note, this will prevent Android pay (nfc tap to pay) from working, as it violates Google security policies for secure payments.
    CapeMan likes this.
  20. Arrius

Arrius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As an expert on the matter, I can safely say designated GPS units are far superior to smartphone APPs. Smartphone location tracking totally depends on the cellphone tower reception and not accurate at all most of the time. GPS, however, unless you are surrounded by massive buildings a tracker will always give you a more accurate location.
    I personally use dedicated GPS units for all my vehicles and my children. Safety is a big issue and smartphones have way too many issues other than inaccurate location tracking.