Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. HLK

HLK aka Hielke

Oddometer:
    I wanted more protection for the phone and the power cable. Also you have to consider that the rear panel of the phone is very thin material and is itself glued to the main body. I don't think it would hold up.
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Only issue I see is heat.

Mine already gets toasty to the point that I really have to watch it when I stop in direct sunlight.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    My opinion will be expressed here....

The best way to hold a rectangular slab is via it's four corners, with movable/flexible loops of material. Silicon works great, old inner tube do also. Rigid mounts always cause inertia transfer to the contact points, instead of dampening the forces of vibration and directional changes....

So far my favorite on the bike is a cut up inner tube. It's extremely cheap, rugged flexible, and resists vibration. No screws to work loose, no arms to break, no springs to over extend and release at the worst possible moment.... just a very simple suspension system that simply will not let go.

The wrap around inner tube holders grip the bars so tightly that the phone doesn't eject even when snagging trees and crashing into rocks, upside down..... the inner tube just flexes and lets the phone move to avoid breakage.

Here's the simplest and toughest mount I've found, illustrated. I know a lot of people will balk at it because it's too simple, and only one piece, but they'll be wrong ;-)
    images.jpeg
  4. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    There's another advantage , if you use your normal phone as a backup , this kind of holder will work for virtually any phone so you can just swap it and keep going
    ohgood likes this.
  5. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought one of those off FB a few years ago as a “ backup” to my RAM mount.
    Maybe I should did it out of my tank bag and use it !!!.
  6. jhfairch

jhfairch Wish I would have started sooner

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried to hardwire a Kyocera Duraforce Pro? It has waterproof contacts on the back. I am considering trying to fab some type of two pronged something on my mount that is hardwired to 5v usb charger. The goal is to keep it charged, in landscape mode. If vertical not an issue cuz the electricity hole is on the bottom. Unless I submarine it.
  7. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Use a magnetic round plug cable , seal the plug to the phone with RTV
    use a cabel like these :
    144434-1833.jpg
    overtone and Suncoaster like this.
  8. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
  9. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    The Kyocera is waterproof. I don't think there is a problem submarining it. I also want to do that. I bought one but the contacts don't seem to charge it. I send it to a tech to check it .
    There is a problem with the contacts being in a recess. The cradle I have in mind will allow the phone to slide in, so I need to add some material on these contacts to have them at the same level as the phone back side. The reason is I want to use pongo contacts.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...678.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.74904c4dT14tKJ
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    my plan was to epoxy a magnet in the depression just below the charging points, and another on the extreme right, using that depression. then use a steel strip to hole the charging pogo pins, was the idea. amazon showed me batteries for $9 each and I got lazy. now i just carry extra batteries and change them out if/when i need em. I don't see why you couldn't make a magnetic joint for those charging points, shouldn't be too difficult.
  11. jhfairch

Oddometer:
    Great ideas. I like the magnet idea to hold the pins in place. I may give it a try.
  12. jhfairch

Oddometer:
    Also I don’t think it’s waterproof if the charging port cover is open?
  13. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Yup. The touch screen even has underwater mode for when you take it swimming. Have you thought about bent flat spring contacts instead of pogo pins ?

Sorry no pictures ... pogo pin looks like i. Bent flat spring contact looks like ^ .
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    if you glue the adapter usb thing in, it is.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  15. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    not sure if its been mentioned or not but ima toss it in here

if you can get a FULL case, preferably a otterbox defender series WITH either belt holster or such these make the best platforms, so long as its the type with the built in screen protector

wrap the phone in tinfoil, use rubbing alch to prep all of the "openings" that you wont need, cram all openings except the charging port with RTV ULTRA BLACK, after 30 mins with a went finger smooth out areas that were large IE speaker holes, let sit over night

the holsters are always a little unique requireing random mods, most is a simple take off teh clip replace with mount and your done..some are trickier

smallest is V1, largest is V2, current is V3..the big boy has gps issues, so unless i can find a working extrenal GPS to run it(duals ones SUCK) then it was little more than proof of concept, i belive its a galaxy tab??, smallest has proven to be the most acurate a HTC one S, current units is a galaxy note5, still trying to get its maping acurate

if anyone wants to talk direct please PM me, ive made em from aluminum as well as ABS..abs is faster and pplenty strong..the 2 smaller units have seen big air, ridden open trailer seen some of the worst weather imagineable, and some impacts with no issues

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Ok so why the foil?
  17. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I was foiled trying to figure that out as well......

No disrespect intended, and I love seeing how different folks go about coming up with a solution that works for them. But.... That's too much effort! :) If you folks plan to keep a model for a few years, just get the SlipGrip cradle, a RAM arm and enjoy.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  18. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about a waterproof,shock proof,dust proof phone ???
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  19. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    You can almost buy a Kyocera DuraForce Pro for the same price as an Otterbox Defender case!
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  20. Tripped1

Oddometer:

Funny part is methinks that he has a IP68 rated Samsung in said Otterbox. S5-S10 are IP rated with the exception of the S6 (which I use sans case on my handlebar all of the time)

Nevermind Note5 it isn't.
    IP Rating is available on Galaxy Note9, S9, S9+, Note8, S8, S8+, S7, and S7 edge.

The S5 was in a variety of flavors as well, but its been expunged from the website because old.