Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    jjustj, radmann10, ohgood and 4 others like this.
  3. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overheating. Extra layer of glare. Mediocre mount.

I just used a good mount and slip a zip bag over the phone if it rains.
    Now I have a waterproof phone so I just keep going.
    elron and BigFatAl like this.
  4. deacon51

deacon51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After running my smartphone as a GPS unit, I've switched sides on this debate and ordered a refurbished Montana 610.
    At least I can say that my Android Pixel2 XL, even in a OtterBox, just isn't up to the task.

I was trying to make my hotel reservation and was in a heavy rain storm, at night, in a strange city. The water on the screen was making it do strange things, such as closing the app. The next day was a dual-sport ride that included me soft dropping the bike twice. My phone begun to reboot randomly and leaving me heading back to the interstate to get home. I'm glad I was also carrying a small road atlas, which I used to find my way to the interstate.

Maybe a more rugged phone in a better mount (The KTM Power Parts GPS Mount vibrates like crazy) would not have had these issues, but I found a good deal on a factory refreshed 610... I plan to put Open Maps on a SD-Card. I'll still use my phone for Local stuff, it's easier to just use ways, but for trips and things... I'm back to a dedicated GPS Unit.
  5. AdvNener

AdvNener Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Randomly rebooting is clearly a major failure of "the smartphone as a GPS".

But will you be able to make an hotel reservation undear a heavy rain storm at night in a strange city with a montana 610? :D
    JSL likes this.
  6. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And will the Montana stand up to the vibration he described? Mine didn't like vibration, losing the internal aerial connection (requiring me to plug in an external aerial which was a faff).
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  7. deacon51

deacon51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only time will tell. I'll always have my phone with me, I'll always use Google Maps, but I'll always have the hard mounted dedicated GPS unit also.
    elron likes this.
  8. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried the phone gps thing a few weekends ago while riding some stuff between Clayton, OK and Mena, AR. Tried using Gaia app. It was miserable.

Shopping now for a standalone gps and came across this Magellan TR5. I have always used Garmin or Trimble and I saw this.
  9. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What was miserable about it?
    BigFatAl likes this.
  10. VA78airhead

VA78airhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had some good luck with Pocket Earth pro running on a iphone. You can download any and all of the entire globe, purchase topo, import/export GPX files, track, input by hand turn by turn, or if you have signal at any point you can initiate a navigation route that will work if signal is dropped at any time.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i picked up a duraforce pro yesterday.

do far I'm impressed with the wireless charging and screen brightness. i REALLY like the smaller screen size when compared to the XD, it's just easier to use one handed.

also the power button +fingerprint reader is freaking nice ! before i finish pressing the button to wake up the screen it's already read my finger to unlock. the way it's setup you have 20 reference points per finger, so i cheated and used half of reach finger setup proceed and changed to the next finger... to make all ten usable ;-)

not bad for $50 shipped
    JRWooden and PineLaneRider like this.
  12. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It didn't work.
  13. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    So nothing happened when you turned on the app ?
  14. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, that has nothing to do with Gaia. I use Gaia all the time and it works great.
    BigFatAl likes this.
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:
    lol
  16. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    So......how does that work with gloves?
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    the fingerprint reader ? it's just an optical reader (camera) it can't read through any layers of material thicker than an onion skin.

with gloves on you can always use the regular old screen lock pattern, face unlock, disable the unlock all together, or use the lock screen bypass in the applications.

when I'm using navigation i just use the built in disabler in the locus app that prevents the screen from locking all together.

I've used the face unlock with a helmet on before, it worked fine.

i do want to try and defeat the fingerprint reader with some Elmer's glue when i get home from this horrible place
    KIMG0237.JPG
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  18. ADV_4R

ADV_4R n00b

Oddometer:
    Where did you find one for $50 shipped? Any issue with it being used? I have been relying to heavily on my phone as a screen, and would like a cheaper option than a dedicated GPS
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    eBay, the phone was great, but the camera lens was very scratched. I'm going to return it in exchange for another with better lens.
    ADV_4R likes this.
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol.

Sounds like you didn't have the map already downloaded before you went off the grid.
    BigFatAl likes this.