Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. DingDangKid

DingDangKid El Lechero

Oddometer:
    Thats how I mount up my S4(not active) and have had zero problems with highway and dirt roads. I think have the right angle charging cord is important. Mine came from my Sena headset. I had gone through multiple straight plug cords of various manufacturers/quality. I through the right angle cord in on a whim and it's worked for at least a year now.

ohgood likes this.
  2. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found that it is important to protect the end of the plug from water and dirt when it isn't used. I used to have to replace them often until I made a cover to slip them into.
  3. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello ohgood.

I've got 5 Samsung Rugby Pros. I'm using 1 for my main GPS and another I've cleaned and am using as a fully charged backup. Only for off road with no cell/wifi service, oruxmaps free as my app and the Garmin V4 off line topo as my base map. Does everything I need and a bomber phone and as waterproof as I need it living in the PWN with not submerging it.

I'll redirect you to our thread on this at ThumperTalk. I post as filterx there and you can see my home made mount. You could mode this to hard wire permanent power if need but I have run this setup in airplane mode for 120hrs without recharging the phone. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1166774-2016-smartphone-for-all-gps-functions-ask-here/

I'll sell 2 of the Rugby's for $50 CDN plus shipping if anyone is interested
    ohgood likes this.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

wooooo, hi there filterx ! you've got some very good information you're sharing over there! thanks for the links and I'm glad you're getting good service out off the Rugby's.

I'm a big fan of oruxmaps, it has one of the most comprehensive feature sets around. actually, the dashboard is one of my all time favorites too.

thanks again for all the info!
  5. Whiteeyelashes

Whiteeyelashes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would really like to make this work for me with an iPad and an S5 active but I feel like even though I've done a bit of research and am no techno-moron, the curve is too steep. Even just farting around with city/rural paved routes I am having problems. When I try to plan a route in furkot, it either adds points every time I try to zoom the screen with my fingers OR it does the opposite and won't let me customize the route. Then, when I export a gpx route to Osmand or locus in my phone, I get nothing but straight lines (doesn't snap to roads) with turns missing. On top of that, when I'm on intercom with my pal, no turn by turn. So far, just a big fail.....
  6. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    stay home
    netteb16 likes this.
  7. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    Furkot is designed for a laptop or pc. I don't think you are going to get good results using it. Plus if you are using it on your table, why not just use the same apps that are on you phone? I use an android tablet that has the same apps, Here, Osmand, Locus, Co-Pilot as are on my phone. I get the benefit of a larger screen, but also work in a format that I know will transfer easily to my phone.

I would just start with planning the route in osmand or locus. Figure out which you prefer then stick with that.

I don't know what kind of routes you are planning, but a more user friendly experience can be had with Co-Pilot. It also has a very robust routing engine. You can customize routes very thoroughly. My only issue with Copilot is some roads way out in the country tend to be missing, and it doesn't do offroad routing/track following at all.
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm a genius, who'd a thunk.:lol2
  9. Whiteeyelashes

Oddometer:
    I would just start with planning the route in osmand or locus. Figure out which you prefer then stick with that.

I don't know what kind of routes you are planning, but a more user friendly experience can be had with Co-Pilot. It also has a very robust routing engine. You can customize routes very thoroughly. My only issue with Copilot is some roads way out in the country tend to be missing, and it doesn't do offroad routing/track following at all.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to use the same programs on both, but iPad is iOS and my phone is android. Osmand on iPad crashed immediately and no locus for iPad. I'll look into copilot more but had read good things about the program's I mentioned, especially for off-road travel, so I was hoping to make them work.

As for the other smart ass remarks, why do you bother if you don't have something positive or helpful to add? Make ya feel special?
  10. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    I use OSMand and locus more than any other apps. Both have steep learning curves. Both have annoying bits about them that aren't intuitive. Osmand has an amazingly clunky menu structure.

Try creating routes on your phone first. I actually usually just create the routes on my phones and don't much bother much with furkot and the like.
  11. Lowndes

Lowndes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I travel (drive my car) all over the Southeast US in my work and I use a Garmin Nuvi 2797 and a Samsung MEGA [rooted, running Waze beta 4.5.0.901] both sitting side by side on my dashboard. My cell phone, Samsung Note 4, is set up as a hotspot for wifi for the Mega. I have been using this dual system for over a year now. I can tell you this; Waze is very good at some things, Garmin is very good at some other things.

Waze has much better, as in more accurate maps, possibly because GOOGLE owns Waze and therefore provides access to GOOGLE Maps. Waze has realtime TRAFFIC, including cops, accidents, hazards, etc. EVERYWHERE. Waze has much, much better detours for traffic jams, etc. It has saved my bacon numerous times with very timely, accurate detours. When Waze says 'exit', I GET OFF. I also much prefer the vertical [portrait] screen vs the horizontal [landscape] screen. The Waze phone needs to be fully charged AND plugged in FULL TIME. The screen draws so much power that it will kill the Mega batteries even while plugged in to a smart charger.

Garmin, bless their hearts, has traffic in the major municipal [Atl, B'ham, Mob, etc] areas, but it lags time wise, significantly. It does have an almost realtime [NOAA??] radar [rain] overlay on the map that can be very helpful to us. The Garmin is very quick and simple to set up and get running; no hotspot to set up. It also has all of my accounts already installed.

I have a Cartech tank bag on my ride with a GPS holder add-on . My Garmin overheats quickly in the weather resistant enclosure when powered by external [bike] system. Had to go to the Garmin ball-and-socket mount just for cooling.

20160727_191430[1].jpg

NOT MY RIDE!!!! Just my bag.

I always keep a paper map somewhere, too. 'No batteries required.' Call me 'OLD FASHONED', just don't call me 'lost'.
    MrMac likes this.
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:
    touch screen (iPad) + browser based mapping (furkot/Google maps/whatever) = weird responses to touches. it is much much easier to plot a route from within the applications in question (locus/Osmand) than to deal with inconsistencies of touch and then finding that the"route" produced is really only a set of four or five SHAPING POINTS, that is intended to be used by a GPS to create a route, instead of a full route that can be followed.

the curve is steep, yes. the achievement ,once there is some proficiency in the applications used, is EXTREMELY fast route planning.
    here is an example of going from no route to a route about 10k miles long, and then editing the route to use different cities, all in a couple minutes of dragging around the route building lines. see the time in the upper right corner:

Screenshot_2016-07-28-06-47-44.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-28-06-49-15.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-28-06-49-57.png

from no route at all, to a butterfly that crosses the USA in no time. the same cab be done at any zoom level, from following a trail to following an interstate.

i would try using the applications built in route builders first, and once proficient, try importing routes from furkot/similar. furkot is AWESOME but a lot of people screw up the exporting of routes, and end up with points only.

if you find an easy to use route building application on ios, share it. I'm sure a lot of iPhone/ipad users would appreciate it :-)
  13. Whiteeyelashes

Oddometer:
    Thanks, OG. I haven't given up. Changed points per route to 30 in furkot and imported track instead of route. It snaps to roads well now. Would still like "heading up" in using it though and can't seem to get TBT to work in my sena
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:

heading up ... you mean map rotation is your current direction of travel?
    OK, tap the lower left icon that looks like cross hairs
    then long tap the button immediately to the right of it and select "rotate map"
  15. barbarosa

barbarosa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The correct answer is - what ever if you run highways.
    If you start diverging from tarmack those cell towers get sparse and phones need cell towers to triangulate. So then you need a device that communicates with satellites to triangulate location.

Still further off the civilized places you go... Really should also have a good map and old school compass. USGS maps that use the same map grid as your GPS so you can find where you are by looking at the coordinates of the map. Then if you loose power ... You can still walk out or find a good water source or hill to climb to find cell signal and call for assist.

I carry all the above. And really review my topo maps for familiarizing the route in my mind before hand ....

But then again I grew up in rural America where we had to be self sufficient and that's how I like it.
  16. Whiteeyelashes

Oddometer:
    :clap

Thank! Now on to the sena issue. TBT would be a big help instead of having to take my eyes off the road.
  17. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    All Modern phones use gps satellites to figure location, so I don't understand your first comments.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:

another well intended post, but fairly inaccurate. let me point out the inconsistencies:
    1 cell phones do not townhouse with cellular towers. they use gps satellite's time stamped pings to triangulate. the OPTION of cellular triangulation is there, but no where near accurate enough for motorcycling or gps duties. cellular data is not needed either, lies of applications work entirely offline, with out any cellular service needed, ever.

2 communication implies a two way radio. smartphones ONLY LISTEN for the gps satellites pings, there is no transmission FROM phones to GPS satellites, unless it is a Sat phone

3 maybe it does, maybe the GPS cannot use the same formatting. check first to be sure!

4 cellular signals have gotten much better recently. there is a good chance that poor reception in a canyon will be equally poor on a mountain top! plan accordingly and carry Ethernet rescue equipment is needed do not consider cellular as the end all rescue plan for deep country.

5 way cool, the number give is how many stars of respect this post gets. :-)
  19. barbarosa

barbarosa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well maybe my old phone is just outdated... The key point is don't depend on just one approach the farther you go from civalized places the self reliant one should be and the more prepared one should be.

Or not.

Free will and survival are choices - only death is inevitable -
  20. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    I carry two phones, both loaded with Locus & Osmand plus many other mapping apps. One is my dedicated GPS phone, the other is my daily driver. Sometimes I also carry paper maps, but usually leave them at camp. I've never carried a compass, and never felt like I needed one. But I am typically familiar with the trails that I am riding, and I sure am not going to bushwhack when there's a perfectly good trail to follow.

Here on the east coast there's very few places that are in the middle of nowhere. You can hike to there, but probably not ride there.