Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. barbarosa

barbarosa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Colorado Rockies have many places that have no cell coverage - and they are the best riding camping exploring!
  2. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    That's why I carry TWO phones. They both cost less than one Garmin :lol2
  3. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    And you have no point. Cell coverage doesn't come into the equation. How many times does that have to be explained to you?
  4. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    But he KNOWS you have to have service for a cell phone to work!
    Please do not confuse him.
  5. barbarosa

barbarosa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brutal crowd .... I'm going to go get my Stelvio dirty and dented and do it mmmmyyyyyyy wwwaaaayyyyy
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    that's cool, get some pictures for us :)
  7. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    lol. Mine always remains in airplane mode.
  8. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Hijack. What is the difference between airplane mode and no sim card and closed network connection?
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:
    airplane mode= all antennas turned off at once via software. individual antennas can be turned on again without effecting others.

removing sim card= cannot use data or make non emergency phone calls.

closed network connection= i have no idea, sounds like someone's interpretation of a setting
  10. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Putting it in airplane mode prevents it from hunting cell sites. It also shuts off other systems as well including wifi. Not all brands work the same but most you can turn wifi back on while keeping it in airplane mode. Airplane mode keeps battery drain down.
  11. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry but this information is wrong on many levels.
    levain likes this.
  12. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    The intent of airplane mode is/was the requirement to kill all intentional TRANSMITTERS in the phone in a planbe. So GPS could still receive, but cell, WiFi, bluetooth can't transmit. Many phone just kill all radios, including the GPS receiver.
    Pulling the SIM card just keep the cell tower traffic to a minimum. WiFi, and bluetooth, still transmit. But even without a sim, there is some cell tower activity to allow for 911 calls.
  13. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stelvio, that explains a lot. :rofl
  14. barbarosa

barbarosa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I understand....why you need to prove you're worthy and right.... at something .... weather man and all. :rofl

yes I am behind the times with current phone shite, last I recalled .... in my apparent vintage patima showing ... what I said was accurate. also to that end... nice that cell phones listen for the ping locate from the stars but unless you have brought down the map of the area... not going to help much ... unless you can get a coordinate and locate your techy buttock on the paper map...

so yeah my old arsed way is to be able to not depend on any squids or overly complicated shite like the current GS... loved the test ride, but not the amount of electronics... so I went with the Stelvio ... so I can do my own tune ups, not look like everyone else and ... enjoy my self with the sound of the motor and the verve of the machine.

philosophically what I suggest still stands, never rely on one system, do your homework, be prepared and now... i have to get my gear onto bike get some AA spare batteries for my old GPS and gear up for a long weekend with my Stelvio and a tent and a lot of dirt roads. Will do a ride report later when back ...

weatherman ;-)
  15. mattebox

mattebox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel bad for barbarosa for being jumped on so fast. We all lack knowledge in a particular area until we learn and become enlightened. Hopefully I can shed some more light on this subject.

Nowadays you can download detailed street, topo and satellite maps of almost anywhere on Earth, usually for free. These maps reside permanently in the internal memory of the phone or standalone GPS so you do not need any cellular or internet connection to use them. That's actually one huge advantage and convenience of a GPS device. You have access to way more maps than is possible with paper maps. Also, another big advantage is the GPS will locate your position on a moving map. This is way more efficient, accurate and intuitive than the traditional map and compass method.

This is good advice, but redundancy (a second GPS and second power source) can serve the same purpose and may actually be better because the person is already familiar with that system. Having a second system (paper maps and compass) means the user need to practice that second system to remain proficient. I do cross-country hiking and winter mountaineering and my method is to carry a second GPS device and a second external battery pack for backup. I still carry paper maps and a compass in my survival bag (along with a signal mirror and PLB) for triple redundancy, but chances are I would never use them, except the paper map for a big picture view. Triangulation by map and compass by taking bearings off landmarks is not always possible due to the terrain and/or it may not be that accurate. A GPS which shows your position on a detailed moving map, plus a recording of your previous track, is just too powerful of a tool to ignore for safety purposes.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:
    it doesn't matter how you navigate. just trying to make sure you have accurate information to run with that's all. there are quite a few informative threads about using a smartphone for mapping operations, if you want to explore that idea. or just holler.
  17. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:

Make sure you adjust the points on your Stelvio before leaving. Also don't forget to tickle the carb before you start it, but be mindful of the engine crank, because once the motor catches that spinning crank can be dangerous. Also remember to bring extra drive belts. Those leather belts can beak and leave you stranded. And if your seat is uncomfortable, bring some extra horse hair to stuff it with.
    BikerBobber likes this.
  18. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought this was about phones and gps'? I have yet to jump into the phone navigation waters but am learning by following these threads and am content with my Garmin gps'. They do what I want, in a way I can understand and rely on. I'm sure a phone will too and I will try it at some point.

As for Guzzi's, nothing wrong with a modern Guzzi (or an older one as well), they are well built, fun motorcycles to ride and so far my Griso and heck even my Ural have been way more reliable than my Honda CBF1000 ever was.
    barbarosa likes this.
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Probably best not to comment on things you have no knowledge of don't you think? BTW, a standalone GPS is pretty useless if you don't download the maps of the area either.
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    on point !

yep, it doesn't really matter what you use to get there as long as you get there. some of the best rides i've seen started with painters tape on a harley tank and ended up drifting dirt roads for hours. :)
    barbarosa likes this.