Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. portablevcb

portablevcb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am another who uses my Samsung S5 in direct sunlight. I think the sunlight here at 7000ft is a bit brighter than down near sea level (at least a lot more UV). :)

Yes, use auto brightness. I also mount mine so it is not 'flat' to my eyes. Angle it 'down' a little and the direct glare is not an issue. Reflected glare, like from a silver or yellow jacket, can make almost any device unreadable (including an instrument panel :) ).

I also pick different color schemes to get the best contrast in direct sunlight. For my old Magellan unit it worked better in 'night' mode.

And, yes, multiple backups is good. I also have a Garmin mounted next to my phone. And I do keep a map and compass around just cause that's how I did things 30 years ago. :)

A Stelvio and complaining about electronics? I hope you have sealed up your computer on that thing :) Do you have a backup if it stops sparking? :D

And there is nothing wrong with old bikes. Mine has even been 'modernized' with one of those newfangled ignition modules. But, I still carry a plate with the dual points in case the new bit of electronic wizardry goes belly up.
  2. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You as well my friend.

I recently gotten some good PDF base maps for an area I like to ride. They work great in Avezna PDF Map reader but I'm trying to figure out how to use a PDF map as an off-line base map in Oruxmaps and think I'm missing something. I don't need all topo features of a Garmin off-line topo. If your into it and want to download Avenza on your phone, I can send you the PDF map and you can look at it. At this point I can run both Oruxmaps and Avenza but.

Anyone input would be awesome and feel free to send me a PM here or at TT if you want
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

the only way I've found to use pdf files in orux/locus/etc is to convert them to jpg /JPEG and then use Google earth or locus (depending on preference) to make an image overlay (kmz) out the jpeg. i don't have a GREAT solution for converting the pdf, and only use the built in image handling in Mac OS called "Preview". it usually pixilates the image or lowers the quality to a poor enough level that I'm not entirely pleased with the results.

this website has me interested in the process again:

http://petapixel.com/2016/08/06/nat-geo-launches-free-website-printing-detailed-topographical-maps/
  4. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One option for converting from GeoPDF is G-raster. I haven't tried this in awhile, so not sure if it still works:

http://moagu.com/?page_id=155
    http://freegeographytools.com/2011/cheap-geopdf-to-geotiff-converter-for-garmin-custom-map-imagery

I believe it will export to .kmz files directly. I may install it again if I get some free time..

Here is the recommendation from the USGS:

http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/documents/ustopo2gtif_current.pdf

Globalmapper really has the best conversion tools for just about any geodata format I've ever used. But alas, I no longer have a license for that either and it is a little pricey for occasional use!
    ohgood likes this.
  5. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I'm completely stupid when it comes to phones. I still use a flip phone actually.

So, I can buy an S5 for ~$150, install a GPS app, and I'm good to go? Do I need to actually pay per month for the service? Does it need to be connected to a network? Or just turn it on and that's it?
  6. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    No service needed to use an S5 for GPS. I will mention that the screen on that GPS is one that won't work with standard gloves on. I encourage you to go back 10 pages and read through the thread - you'll learn what you need to know to get started without having to read the whole thing.
  7. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    You'll need to buy the apps as well. I think osmand is $10 as well as locus and copilot. After that, the map updates are free.

I think I spent around $30 or $40 for the various apps that I use. There are lots of free versions, but I hate ads and like to contribute to the development of these apps that I rely on.
  8. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I gotcha. Makes sense. And I don't need connectivity to maintain a GPS position? I can just set it to airplane mode and I'm good?
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:

the only phone I've used that didn't allow for gps antenna usage while in airplane mode was my kyocera hydro air. it actuallty disabled the GPS antenna on that phone. to use the GPS antenna and Dave battery, i just turned off cellular data and it worked fine. every other device I've seen prior to and after that works just fine in airplane mode.

you are correct, you do not need data/contact service on the phone ever, to use its gps/Bluetooth/wifi capabilities.

it's a good idea to update its GPS almanacs if you do a fly n ride, at the airport but mooching of their wifi. otherwise it might take five minutes for the initial GPS triangulation.
  10. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been a terrific help. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap Numo or S5. Thanks man.
    ohgood likes this.
  11. garzan

garzan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just read that again, and see the "standard" :-) I use an S5 as well, and use Rev'it gloves, but they are made to work with a touchscreen (so not standard.)
    ohgood likes this.
  12. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do NOT need to pay for a connection. You WILL need WiFi to set it up, to load the apps and the maps. You WILL almost have to have a Google account to do that (though that can be bypassed to somewhat).

The S5 if a good device, but you may want to look for a really cheap Android to see if it looks like the thing for you. Maybe someone you know has an old one in a drawer collecting dust. I wouldn't drop $150 on one just to find you don't like it.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    That's odd considering I use regular gloves with my S5 all the time.
    levain likes this.
  15. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    S5 works worth gives. Just turn on " increase screen sensitivity" in display settings.
    Apps can be had for free as well as maps. I however, paid the wapping fee of $2 to get OsmAnd pro....

Bob
  16. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    I have a "like new" S4 with spare battery, for $40 US if anyone's looking to try.

Bob
    ohgood likes this.
  17. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow - I wish I had found that a couple of years ago. BINGO! Thank You.
    ohgood likes this.
  18. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    This something I could use solely for GPS and perhaps MP3 w/ a Bluetooth Headset?
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:

it might, but the alcatel /tracfone branded units are usually lower spec processor/screen, in a much lower league than the typical Samsung phones. i would grab that s4 that was offered above and try it out instead. generally speaking the Samsung mud to high end flagships are always a safe bet, from my experience.
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    side note, you guys are making this thread ROCK!