Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have a PM.
  2. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Should, yes.
    Responded to PM

Bob
  3. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    Don't get that. It's only a dual core, 1 gig of ram and 4 gigs of onboard memory. That would be a pain in the ass phone to use. It would be slow and it's lack of on board memory would mean that even with a 32 gig micro sd card you would be running out of memory to run apps. Even with a micro sd add on, phones still need a decent amount of onboard memory just to run smoothly.

The bare minimum of onboard should be 16 gigs and 32 gigs is even better. I am quite partial to the Samsung S5, S5 Active and S4 active. Good deals can be found on ebay for used models in the $150 and cheaper range. The usual caveats on ebay of course. Buy from sellers with high ratings and a return policy.
  4. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    mmk. I'll poke around then. I may have a line on an S4.

Everyone here has been a terrific help. Appreciate it. :beer
  5. zirconx

zirconx Midwest Traveler

Oddometer:
    Since you don't plan on activating it with a carrier, you can buy a "blacklisted" or "bad esn" phone cheaper than a working phone. Looks like about $120 on Ebay for a blacklisted Verizon S5. Might find one even cheaper on your local craigslist. I like the S5 because it's waterproof and has decent performance and a decent camera. I plan on setting up mine where I can use it for navigation, and have it taking a photo of the road every X seconds.
  6. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    The S4 if a nice piece. I used one for a couple of years on my bike. BUT, the older AMOled technology in it is not too bright in sunlight. You will eventually want something brighter.
  7. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    As in stolen?
  8. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cannot think of another reason why an ESN would be blacklisted...
  9. zirconx

zirconx Midwest Traveler

Oddometer:
    Non-payment. If the service was stopped but the phone wasn't paid off, it will usually be blacklisted.

Or reported lost.
    EmmEff likes this.
  10. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got 5 unregistered Samsung Rugby's and you do not need to have cell service or a plan. IMO this is all I want and I can still enable WIFI to download if I want and I just plug it into my laptop and it shows up as my F drive so I can copy stuff back and forth.

So get what ever the cheapest of free phone you can get that has WIFI and GPS. When you have WIFI download Oruxmaps for free. I downloaded the Garmin IMG topo to my laptop and copied over to my phone into the right directory.

It took me awhile to get my head around this but honestly as cheap as you can get and the display is better and a dedicated $600 Garmin Montana.
  11. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Albie likes this.
  12. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have used a first gen moto G for a few years... worked quite well with a few drawbacks:
    - not waterproof (used a small zip lock bag for that)
    - sometimes not very visible in sun light (well.. deal with it)
    - not usable with gloves (again, deal with it)
    - screen could be bigger

Copilot and Locus

bought a used Sony Z2 (as said by others before, you can get your dedicated gps device cheaper if you don't care if the camera/gsm antena/sim card slot/whatever doesnt work), which adresses all the above issues. Note that setting the touch sensitivity to use it with gloves works very well, but to the point that water drops "touch" the screen. So you need some sort of screen locking features in your app. It worked nicely under very heavy rain with copilot which has a automatic "lock screen when moving" option.

Added bonus are a sdcard slot and a magnetic slot for charging (i believe it will be less stressed than the micro-usb slot)

As with the moto G i mount it to my bikes with a RAM x-mount (+adhesive velcro on the mount and the back of the phones rubber cases)
  13. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    Here's my setup:

[​IMG]

Sorry, YouTube Screen-cap. I usually run a shorter Lightning Cable to my iPhone but I forgot it so had to use my backup thus the mess.

Basically:
    Exlight Add on Kit Waterproof Durable Double 5v USB Phone GPS Charging 12v Motorcycle
    TomTom Rider 400 w/ locking motorcycle mount connected directly to battery
    iPhone 6S + RAM Mount for iPhone

Misc:
    Double Take adventure RAM Mount mirrors
    On the right mirror is another mount for my TomTom Bandit camera...generally rock that for long trips and vlog w/ chin-Mount GoPro and Sena's Bluetooth backpack.

the TomTom Rider has bluetooth so it uses my iPhone's data connection for live traffic and I can send routes & address to my Tomtom or back to the iPhone. TomTom also has a record function for trail-riding. With the Sena 10U for GT-Air, I can hear my TomTom's instructions and listen to music from the iPhone.
  14. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it works for you, but the phone looks really high in the ram x-grip mount on that picture. I would not trust the grip in that position.
  15. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    It's because if I put the phone at the right level, the effing volume turns down to mute. sliding the phone around and turning volume up at highway speeds is dangerous. I've ridden on and off road w/ phone like this for 7K miles so far and haven't lost the phone yet. I'm sure it's only a matter of time!!!! trust me, it looks pretty scary.

BTW, Here's a better photo of my setup taken today:
    [​IMG]
  16. portabill

portabill Adventurer

Oddometer:

You can add some Velcro to the center of the X-Grip and the back of the phone to get a much stronger hold and still be able to easily remove it.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last picture looks much less scary. +1 on the velcro tip, it works well.
  18. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Tried the X grip. They suck ! Would never buy one again.

Bob
    worwig likes this.
  19. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I trust my X-grip.............in the car.
  20. garzan

garzan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's why I use a Rokform mount; twist-lock, and a magnetic lock, and a strap incase the first two let go. But, it's never let go.