Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    ohgood likes this.
  2. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    I use the Ram Quick Grip for off-road:

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-PD3U

And a Slip Grip for car and street bike.

http://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/Sl...-i9600-Using-LifeProof-FRE-Case_p_145263.html

I think the Quick Grip is the ultimate hold, just barely fits my S5 with a Lifeproof case, and is crash tested multiple times .
    The Slip Grip is easier on and off but the phone rattles in it a bit. I wouldn't trust it in an off. Fine for street or light off road duty.

I use the Lifeproof case, even though the phone is already water resistant, to add another level of protection. I fall down alot and am VERY hard on my stuff.
    With this case I have taken underwater video with my phone while swimming. It also protects the screen from sand, dust scratches.

Bob
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

broken record time (me)

after buying the RAM mount and realizingg how flimsy it was, and then finding a rubber band in the packaging that was intended to help hold my phone in their $70 mount... i cut up an innertube similar to the finn bike mount and started using it. simple, fast, fits every phone I've seen.

if someone wanted the most secure mount ever, that perfect squeeze is the one to get
  4. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Bob,
    Are you using the correct SlipGrip cradle? I have quite a few SlipGrip cradles and not one has ever been a loose or sloppy fit.
  5. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Yep. Right one.
    Not sloppy loose but not a tight fit either.
    Slip Grip
    [​IMG]

And Ram Quick Grip
    [​IMG]

If I could only have one it would be the Ram. A lot cheaper too....

Bob
  6. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:

I am a big fan of that RAM mount. I have run hundreds of miles of rough jeep trails and tons of jumps and wheelies plus the general constant vibration of my 640 Adv and the phone hasn't moved.

There are other rams mounts, the X and the springy finger one that I don't put much stock in.
  7. DingDangKid

DingDangKid El Lechero

Oddometer:
    By far the best phone option. I've used it with my iphone 4s and Galaxy S4 both with otter boxes. I've run it on the TW, Wee and Mt Bike with it never losing the phone.

8. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been looking at S5. They seem to be in the $150/$200 range. There any other phone that is comparable? I punched in HTC (Desire?) into CraigsList and they can be had all day long for $40. Would those work?

To add to this, how'bout Kyocer Hydro Air? They're like $40 new. Read a few places of folks using them as a GPS as well.

Heh, whoops. Forgot you posted this. So this phone will work as well?
  9. HLK

HLK aka Hielke

Oddometer:
    Guys, here's my setup. It's an Xperia Z Ultra 6.4" phablet mounted on a piece of cutting board, RAM-mounted to the handlebars. The posts are M5 bolts double wrapped with silicon tubing that thread directly into the cutting board. I basically lay the phone on the cutting board and drill the holes in such a way that the phone is jammed in between the posts. I don't run the tap all the way so holes are slightly conical and the bolts fit nice and tight. It has held well for over 7000km on a trip to the Balkans.
    Apart from the RAM mount that I had laying around (they've pretty much doubled in price here in euro land) it's dirt cheap.

I use Locus with BRouter to create tracks on the spot and then ride the tracks with Locus in guidance mode. I don't bother with instructions.....it's more fun to read the map and it's more flexible when taking a detour. I send the track to my buddy's phone over WiFi with ES File Explorer so we can both navigate. Combined with intercomms it's just awesome.
    When I just want to go from A to B I'll use Sygic.

I picked the Xperia Z Ultra because it's waterproof and has a nifty magnetic charge port. All the Xperia Z's have that....but I just had to have the big one. I tested this setup on a 4 day road trip and it worked amazingly well, fully charging with the screen on full brightness all the time and music streaming to my intercom. It doesn't seem to suffer from the heat like my iPhone.

The only cons: on our Balkans trip it developed a problem where it wouldn't take a charge, which is apparently a common problem. I'm looking into somehow hard-wiring it. Maybe a new battery will help as well. And it is a bit of a hassle to take on and off the bike with the cable and the USB 12v outlet thing. The touchscreen goes berserk in the rain.

I got my inspiration from...Garmin. Figuring I needed 'real' navigation for our ride in the Balkans I got myself a second-hand Zumo 660. The device is 2009 tech which is bad enough, but I just couldn't bring myself to learn Basecamp. Maybe it's my short attention span, but if I can't get results with a piece of tech within the first 20-30 minutes of tinkering I lose interest. I'm not taking a fucking 4 hour DVD course from some old guy to learn how to draw lines on a map.

I did take the Zumo as a backup to the Balkans. It proudly served as trip recorder and speedometer. Where the Zumo shines: take it on/off the bike in seconds, no charging cables to worry about, the touch screen keeps working well in the rain (although it doesn't work well to begin with). It's really good for "It's fucking raining, take me to a gas station then the nearest hotel".

I say the time is more than ripe for rugged 6" android device with a couple of chunky physical buttons (handlebar mounted buttons for zooming the map would be awesome). Make it open source, open everything. Leave the software development to the community.

rally-navigator-pro.jpg
    dr_montenegro.jpg
    cuttingboard_nav1.jpg
    cuttingboard_nav2.jpg
  10. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    S5 active is basically the same phone but usually cheaper. I'm not sure why.
  11. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
  13. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, I see. S5 is the same as the S5 Active. I gotcha.

I have two PM's out to folks on the Kyocera. See what their input is on that device.
  14. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem with charging on my Z2... so i could test and copilot+full brightness takes about 15% of battery capacity per hour. But i think my problem was that the cord was somehow pushing the magnetic plug away (but not completely so the device was "trying" to charge). It happened 2h before the end of a riding day... i could charge the phone at the hotel room and had no problem after that.
    The screen goes berserk in rain indeed, but both copilot and locus have a locking feature.
    HLK likes this.
  15. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using one as my GPS phone for a few years now. It's just about perfect. If it died tomorrow, I'd find another.
  16. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

seriously good write up of how to do things. looks like you're one step away from making your own (or buying) a perfect squeeze mount for your phone. really enjoy the inginuity happening here !!
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I pretty much have it nailed down to what phone I'm going to use. My last concern right now is RAM. The Kyocera only has 1GB. Will that be enough to handle OsmAnd and music playing in the background? The S5 Active has 2GB. As someone with 32GB of RAM on their PC, I'm skeptical on the 1GB in the Kyo.
  18. HLK

HLK aka Hielke

Oddometer:
    Thanks! To be honest I came close to buying the Perfect Squeeze. Looks like a great product and if you're in the US it's a good deal compared to the alternatives. It's just that it doesn't quite fit my Xperia Z Ultra. I also wanted something that gave a little bit more protection since the phone is made out of friggin glass.

I bought the cutting board because the HDPE plastic is indestructible, cheap and easy to work on, but I couldn't quite decide on how to build a mount out of it. The night before departure I had to cobble something up and discovered that tapping threads directly in the board worked surprisingly well. 20 minutes later...and it was sitting on the bike. Definitely one my more successful last minute creations.

Possible improvements:
    - make the posts conically shaped so the phone is even more secure. The silicon rubber is a bit too soft and slippery by the way, but it's what I had lying around.
    - make the posts sliding or spring-loaded. Hm. Lots of ideas there.
    - integrate the magnetic charge cable so the mount basically becomes a powered dock for the phone
    - maybe a sun shade. The screen was easy to read even in sunlight, and when I bend forward slightly the sun shade on my helmet covers it nicely
    - make it purdier with thicker edges....though I like the ghetto 'yes it's a cutting board' look

Yeah there is something weird going on there. It also seems like the USB connector on my Z Ultra is unreliable. Plus I couldn't resist putting Cyanogen mod on it, maybe I should have stuck with the stock Sony firmware for best battery performance. I will look into making a solid dock for it or even soldering a bunch of wires onto the power connector. I'm not using it for anything else anyway.
  19. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:

I just fired up OSMand+, and the setting show that it is using 733KB of RAM. Of course I have about 2GB of storage rom used for maps. I then zoomed way out and had it plan a 400 milers trip. It jumped 'up' to 7.9MB.
    Planning a long trip in CoPilot used 2.2MB.

I think 1GB is fine.
  20. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent.

Alright. I'm over analyzing (Schmokeling) the shit out of this.

AT&T Kyocera Hydro Air - $40

OsmAnd+ Maps & Navigation -$7

Ram Mount Cradle Holder - $24

Kyocera Hydro Air Case - $10

SoundPEATS Bluetooth Headphones - $20

Will this setup get me a running GPS and music player for my DR? I hate stopping to take pictures, I don't need to read forums, I don't need to watch YouTube. Just GPS and music. Nothing more. With those listed things above, I should be on my way, correct?