Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best part is that if you ever change the phone, you don't have to buy the app, mount, headphones again :)

You may need a way to power the phone from your bike battery (or a second battery to swap). Considering the link to the phone states 8gb of storage, you WILL quickly need an external sd card to store your offline maps.
    Don't know how the touch screen works with gloves, but you don't really need to care about it for a start
  2. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a USB connector on the DR already. I'm thinking the phone should come with a cord? The sucky thing about this phone is the battery is permanently in there. I also have a 16gb micro SD card already.

I see S5 Active on eBay for $180. Refurb'd. By the time I get that along with all the mounts n' stuff, I'm looking at like $300+. I'm having a hard time accepting $100 for all this stuff. :lol2
  3. HLK

HLK aka Hielke

Oddometer:
    Haha :lol3 That Kyocera seems like a great deal. But go ahead and Schmokel this: from what I've read the RAM-HOL-PD3U holds your phone a bit better.

For what it's worth: my old Samsung Galaxy S2 (Hello 2011!) runs Android 5.1 and Locus just fine with 1gb of memory. I took it as a backup and we ended up needing it when my buddy drowned his phone then left it to dry on his DR's engine block (this guy lives to destroy phones) and forgot about it. Ran just fine.
    ohgood likes this.
  4. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Duly noted. I'll get that instead.

Okie doke. Looks like I have this all planned out then. I'm going to stick with my good ole' flip phone.
    RedEX likes this.
  5. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Charger?

Conductive thread to make touch screens more friendly?
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
  7. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adaptor coming soon form the Perfect Squeeze to allow portrait mode with their clamp too.
    HLK and ohgood like this.
  8. AdvNener

AdvNener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slightly related question... I'm considering painting the windshield of my tenere, for purely aesthetics reasons. I though white would be cool, but wouldn't this cause visibility issues on the smartphone screen under sunny conditions? The smartphone is mounted right behind the shield, so that would make a white (mate, not glossy) background reflecting light (not directly to the screen, but i guess a brillant background makes the human eye adapt to it...).

If this is right, then a black windshield would help with screen visibility? (i could paint in black inside and white outside but my idea was to paint only the inside for maintenance reasons :D)
  9. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    No idea if white will be a glare issue. Keep in mind it might also reflect heat and contribute to an overheating GPS and sunlight fade of the gauges.
  10. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    So my Kyrocera Air came in today. I have it all setup. This thing works the tits! My bluetooth headset works perfect. I installed OSM maps and that seems to work just fine. I kind of screwed up on the mount though. I thought the back of the RAM mount had the socket for the 1" ball I already have mounted to the bike. But I guess for this setup differs from the Garmin setup from where the ball is on the bike instead. That will be in next week. Wi-Fi works on it just fine too. When the time comes I'll figure out the GPX things.

But yea, works great. The headset is awesome now that I can pause, skip track, and change the volume. So excited now!

edit: I thought I had to pay for the OSM maps? I installed what seems to be global maps, I think?
    ohgood likes this.
  11. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    The maps are free. There are free and a pay versions of the app though.
  12. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah. Gotcha. I thought the app was free and the maps cost. I'll check what the differences are between the two apps.
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    the only difference is you throw the developers / osm a few bones for the paid version. make sure you check out the developer options that are available too. lots:-)
  14. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to install OSM on the sd card? Not the external storage? I only have 2.56gb and OSM along is 2g+.
  15. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    You are going to fight that 2gig internal memory.

The Osmand app is only 200 or so megs. You can move the app to the sd card in the app manager. The big memory Hog is downloaded maps. You need to go into osmand settings - - > general settings - - > scroll down to "data storage folder" and select your sd card. That will put downloaded maps onto the sd card.
  16. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Won't let me.

"Maps could not be created in specified directory"
    Shawnee Bill likes this.
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just as I hit post reply to above, I used the file manager app or something and its currently copying files over. See what happens...

Nope. Now it acts like OSM isn't installed and I used up 4 of my map downloads. I uninstalled and am going to try again.
  18. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    There are a bunch of options, make sure it's set to external storage 2. At least that's what all three of my phones are set to.
  19. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. That's when I get the error. Installing NH first then see if I can install the others to ES2.

No luck. Also, when I plug the phone into my PC, there is no folder labeled OSM.
  20. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    So using the Filer Commander app, I have the osmand folder there with all the maps. But it doesn't let me open it. There's like, no way to start it. It seems it only works when I have it on internal storage.