Designated GPS unit vs. Smart Phone

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by NJDirtRiders, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm so lost now.

So, in my phone's settings I selected OSM and "moved to SD card". Boom. Done. I open OSM and go to change DATA STORAGE FOLDER. Won't allow me to select ES2. Only ES1 (internal storage) and it has ~2gb.

I go to File Commander and see the OSM folder in internal storage. Empty. I got to the OSM folder in the SD. There's all my files.

So, OSM is telling me the files are going to the internal. The phone shows the files in the SD.

:twitch
  2. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    What version of Android are you on? Can you grab a screenshot of the options for storage that you see?
  3. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    You cannot make the folder in file manager then osmand wont have permission to write there
  4. webmonstro

Oddometer:
    Try unninstall it all then delete any map files re install and move to sd card before you download maps
  5. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure where to look on the phone, but according to the online phone specs 5.0.

[​IMG]

Yea, I did that too. I reinstalled this thing like 8 times.

Here it says on SD card:
    [​IMG]

Here is what shows when I click on the app in the phone settings menu:
    [​IMG]

I go to change the directory:
    [​IMG]

Annnnnd:
    [​IMG]

At this point I'm not too concerned with it. I have VT, NH, MA, ME, and I'll do a little Canada when the time comes. I bought the map contour plugin for $2 which is awesome too.
  6. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    Try external storage 2. That's what it is on all my devices.
  7. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the one I selected when I got the message. IIRC, Multiuser Storage 2 is also my SD car because it has like 12gb. That doesn't work either.

I mean, I have just under 2gb of room. How big are most GPX files? Unless I load up all of US and Canada, I don't think I have to worry too much.
  8. webmonstro

Oddometer:
    A very very big gpx will be like 1 mb
  9. webmonstro

Oddometer:
    Go over to wikiloc and search some tracks in your area and check them out
  10. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    pleh. That solves that then. Going to keep it the way it is right now.
  11. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    There right now. Doesn't seem like much. I did Trail Bike, Motorcycle, Off Road, and Enduro. There's only three or four that pop up. And they're like 3 miles off road trails.
  12. webmonstro

Oddometer:
    Where are you
    Try zooming out
  13. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    If osmand is the only app you'll use then you can get by. My units run about 4 different navigation/mapping apps as well as music player and a few other things.

Even with loading apps onto the SD card, there's no way I could get by with less than 16 gigs of internal storage. Remember the phone uses some of that internal memory to run active apps. If you use up all the internal memory for app/map storage, the phone will run poorly. In my experience most phones need at least 500 megs of free internal memory to run smoothly and 1 gig is even better. This is separate from the phones ram.

At some point you may get low memory warnings.
  14. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    NH.

http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/map.do?lt=44.466462&ln=-71.285380&z=9&k=1&tab=0&act=8,38,3,59

There is the one from Lewistown to Rangely which looks great. Other than that, that's all I really see.

I have Weather Underground, the factory music player, and OSM. I don't really have a need to run multiple navigation apps.
  15. HLK

HLK aka Hielke

Oddometer:
    I'm partial to Locus. I really like how it handles tracks. It's clearly made by GPS geeks who actually use it. That said I haven't had more than a quick look at Osmand.

What software (preferably OSX but I can do Windows) do you guys use to create, edit and organize GPX tracks? I've given Basecamp another try but it's making me unhappy.
  16. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    What version of Android is on the phone?
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who are you directing this question to?
  18. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there really a big difference in the GPS apps? I mean, I dubbed around with CoPilot and now OBM. They seem to both do the same thing. :dunno
  19. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    They just do things different. Each has a strength. CoPilot has the most robust routing preferences and settings I have seen in an app. But it has no tracking recording capability and the map set it uses is slow to update and has lots of errors when you get off the beaten path.

OSM routes reasonably well, though it will take a long time to calc a long route, has a fairly clunky interface, and I hate it's database for tracks and points.

Locus has a fantastic database for tracks and points, has tons of options and customizations for rendering tracks and other app settings, does routing reasonably well enough when you download brouter or mapsies(?) but doesn't rotate road names and other text with the map and even with all the rendering options does the worst job at rendering vector maps of any app I have used so far. I am always annoyed that after creating a route with Locus I can't edit it after I click "done".

Here Maps is like Google Maps light. It has an ok offline database of POI's, and does good A to B routing.
  20. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use CoPilot 95% of the time, unless there is some reason I need to follow a .gpx track, then I'll go Locus. With CP, you can specify storage of the map data on the SD card, which really helps keep things clean. I keep the entire N. America road database and millions of POI's which is just over 2gb. When CP fails, which is usually due to missing or bad POIs, and yes, sometimes roads, I go back to Google maps.
    turbodieseli4i6 likes this.