Designing a new production motorcycle...

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by oldbeer, May 3, 2019.

1. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    ....the most thankless task in the world.

I'm probably going to regret this moderately alcohol fuelled post but I've just been reading over in the TAT Grom thread a few people having a discussion about how they would DEFINITELY buy a Grom if only they could get one with a 300cc motor.

FFS.

I feel sorry for the entire motorcycle design fraternity because whatever they do hundreds of "if only" posts will welcome the next launch of the fruits of their labours. Admittedly there's some legitimate criticism to be made of any new bike but I'm always amazed that people seriously think that it would "great" if mass producers of bikes would churn out whatever goofy combination of specs they dream up. Like a 300cc Grom. And even if they did, I'd bet dollars to donuts the next posts would say, well, if only it was 40kg lighter, I'd DEFINITELY buy one. It's not the same as those with unicornitis, but it's clearly a related disease.

When I were a lad (cue Monty Python shoebox references) I could buy a BSA, a Trumpy (basically the same bike anyway in those days) or a Norton. Once I got into long pants there were a very few exotic Suzukis Kwackers and Hondas around but the choice was very limited. Now we are awash with different bikes even in the tiny so called adventure riding market segment.

To turn this post into something a bit more positive than the rant it clearly is, I'd just like to thank motorcycle designers from all over the world for the amazing range of literally hundreds of bikes I currently have to choose from, should I want to change my current rides.

The only thing I can't understand is why they don't make a Vstrom with an integral coffee machine......
    KiwiPewe, shinyribs, young1 and 4 others like this.
  2. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    i'm drinking too.

a tidy little merlot. not that i'm a fan of merlots. what are you having?

p.s anyone who thinks a grom is a legit motorbike should be given a wide berth.
    Muzz67 and MrKiwi like this.
  3. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice rant mate. It reminds me that I need to a) finish my custom built Honda, and b) go drinking with you! :p :)

You are very right. People have this mythical wishlist of stuff and requirements that are based on keyboard warriors (who actually ride an unknown amount on unknown surfaces) spouting out their views as facts.

Warrick
    MrKiwi likes this.
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha, don't knock them till you've tried them!! I'll assume that's the Merlot talking.

I'm a real lightweight these days, that was just a couple of beers... I dare not combine wine and keyboard.
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you need to invite us all round to your place so we can ogle your custom build and all stand around offering helpful suggestions while consuming your beer. I'll get the lads together.....
    nzrian likes this.
  6. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:

fair enough.

if i was in to the significant chance of getting run over (from behind) and really needing 90mpg then yeah, a grom would be high on my list too :thumb
    bigkuri likes this.
  7. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The scary thing is they are starting to be a cult bike in some parts of the world - heavily customised etc.. They remind me of modern monkey bikes.

I'll have a beer-fuelled unveiling of my finished bike.... It just sits under it's cover giving me dirty looks the last few months. I need someone who knows electricity/wiring better than me!... Why can't NZ be like Europe and treat indicators as optional!? With no battery it's harder to fit them than I thought....
  8. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle design and manufacturing reached its pinnacle with the KLR....its been down hill without a milk crate ever since :gerg
    Pete-NZ, glitch_oz, MacNoob and 2 others like this.
  9. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    KiwiPewe, Night Falcon and Mc107 like this.
  10. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Now if the Grom came with a milk crate id almost definitely buy one.
    Night Falcon likes this.
  11. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Benelli TNT135 will out-perform a grom, for about $750 less money. But why a 300cc grom, when you can get a 250cc or 300cc full-sized motorcycle instead? A 300cc grom doesn't sound like a great idea.

Charles.
    oldbeer likes this.
  12. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Because it's not a BMW?

I hate it how the manufacturers never make the perfect bike for all of my uses - I can't afford 1 of everything...Maybe one day...
    oldbeer and Night Falcon like this.
  13. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    idealism runs riot

Sensibilities are more scarce

Everyone is a couch expert.

Me, a grom of any sort is a bike for someone else.

Finally the bike ownership rule always applies, the ideal number to own is n+1
    KiwiPewe and Night Falcon like this.
  14. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I had to hold my typing hand in the Grom thread - typical Yanks wanting something bigger and ''better''. On other sites they are rubbishing the ''new'' (to them) Ranger because it's too small to be even remotely usable.

If bikes were perfect there would be no custom modifications, and I sincerely hope that never, ever happens. New bikes have never been part of my world, so this ''so many bikes to choose from'' is not something to worry me. But there are so many old bikes, I look at them, and I think, and I think....oh the possibilities....
    Night Falcon and MrKiwi like this.
  15. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to think the same way. Until my free time became so precious, and the market suddenly served up so many great options. Now I’m trying to get rid of projects and old shit.

Charles.
  16. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I'd go nuts if I didn't have a project bike. Riding bikes is only half of the enjoyment, the other half is working on them.
    nzrian, Pete-NZ, shinyribs and 4 others like this.
  17. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Lifan KP mini 150... grom with a 150 up-right motor....
    unbolts and the 250 motor bolts in..
    KiwiPewe likes this.
  18. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am involved in manufacturing. Our smoko talk is often similar, even about our own products.

We say things like
    "if only we could get this to be easier to assemble"
    "if only that would be lighter and stronger"
    "how could we make this bit more attractive"....

Our stuff works pretty well but wanting it to be even better is natural and shows an active and creative mind in my opinion.
    Our customers are testing things in a wide variety of conditions and applications that we could never test ourselves. Their feedback is valuable to help us get it right.
    We hear lots of stupid suggestions (in our opinion) and some good ones. Sometimes the ideas we thought stupid turn out to just be limitations in our own thinking or a reluctance to really push ourselves. In honesty we don't always do our very best.

This being a motorcycle forum, I think its pretty normal for members to discuss their preferences and ideas for their ideal bike..
  19. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Fair points. There's always another side to everything.
    Takataka likes this.