Details on 2014 690 enduro r?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BigTony, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    2014 completely removed including sending unit and all lines. I installed 2013 brake lines to replace stock ABS lines. fit right up. Also removed the sensor ring up front and the rear sensor electrical circuit. This allowed me to install Scotts Shark fin. Total weight drop 4.21 lbs. Zero issues. Remove fuse and the light doesn't even show up. It works so much easier..unless you are considering a full on road bike. I have installed 4860 front forks with 300 mm travel off an SX too. After revalve and spring for the extra weight, theres no diving on heavy breaking like the stock forks. I've tried a panic stop with front brakes heavy to test the bike. It may not perform in a panic on-road situation or heavy breaking in a corner, but I'd say the removal of the ABS for my intent is far better than having it on and forgetting to turn it off each time the tires leave pavement, and then crashing because i couldn't control the breaking. Added weight of a RR Evo-2 kit and Giant Loop bag in the rear to load the bike.
  2. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you swap triple clamps too, or are you using the stock 32(?) mm offset triples?
  3. yetiandy

yetiandy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Darren. I had a good read. Interesting.

I might have misunderstood, but reading about the ABS removal lead me to believe that you removed it all, replaced the brake lines, but had to put the pump module back on to make the speedo work. (Brake light too?) Is that correct or did I miss something later on?

(I have to admit I haven't physically studied a bike but I have just ordered a '15 and intend to remove the ABS once I take delivery in a few weeks.)

And thanks to you too Motomochila.

Andrew
  4. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    Yes that's correct, the front wheel sensor goes up to the pump module which has the ABS computer in it. The speedo then reads from that so i re fitted it and fitted 10mm plugs in it. I have a friend with a 13 and i will do some test in order to remove the unit but i haven't got around to it because its more fun riding it. I have pulled the fuse on the ABS that controls the speedo and i just use the GPS these days so i will probably remove it anyway. The rear brake light works of a pressure switch in a banjo bolt on top of the ABS unit. If you want a rear brake light switch you have to get a 13 or older rear master cyl. I just don't worry about it
  5. PintMaster

PintMaster n00b

Oddometer:
    Picked up the Rekluse today should have it fitted for the weekend.
  6. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    I tries the stock offset with favorable results but have now decided to run a custom triple that I did on Solidworks based on original. it is in
    fabrication now. I will post as I get it completed and mounted. Rally Raid has a triple that they use on the 300 mm conversion. I think its adjustable.
  7. RoteEddie

RoteEddie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought myself a brand new left over 14' SMCR:D

I have previously owned a 10' SMC and a 12' ER. Sold the Enduro R when I got my 1190 Adv. The 1190 made me swear I would never own a KTM ever again :cry I guess I have calmed down......It was a great bike let down by retarded stuff like airbox and dealer support and knowledge.

I chose the SMCR as I ride 90% tarmac and 10% gravel. Won't collect her until March :1drink
  8. gxshrimp

gxshrimp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Others here have done it, some say you need to re-route the clutch hose, some don't. :huh
  10. Truck11

Truck11 n00b

Oddometer:
    Why not put that $130 towards a Scotts steering damper?
  11. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a no start issue that I'm dealing with. I turn the key on and the lights turn on but the cluster doesn't light up and I don't hear the fuel pump running. I checked all the fuses but that is about the limit of my diagnostic capability.

Anything simple that I'm over looking?
  12. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Kill switch by your right thumb?

Did you change or modify anything?
  13. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    Ill second that little trap. I never normally use it but every now and then i bump it in a stack and it catches you out for a second or two
  14. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hahaha.....that would be the simple thing that I over looked! I never use it but must have bumped it while installing my Handguards.

Thanks!
  15. DesertRatliff

DesertRatliff Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Sweet! That was easy enough!
  16. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Pulled in to gas station and someone came over to talk to me about my old K100. don't know why I hit the kill switch, but it took me 30 minutes to figure out why the starter would not turn.(until I discovered the kill switch was off)
  17. MymoJoe

MymoJoe Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
    I have just bought a 2014 KTM690R Enduro with a 700RR Rally kit, 3500ks on the clock.. to say I am under whelmed is an understatement... boring as bat shit..

I have ridden a couple of 690's, including a 2012 with 40 oooks on it and it was fun... this isn't... I believe there are some restrictors on the first 3 gears. I am taking it to the shop tomorrow to get the Akro mapping put on to see if that helps (with akro fitted)..

it has 15/45 gearing (standard as far as I know)

Anything else to consider?

this thread needs more pictures

[​IMG]

Joe

18. ttime4four

ttime4four Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I presume you've checked the map switch under the seat and ensured it is not set on the "soft" setting.

[​IMG]
  19. MymoJoe

MymoJoe Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
    Yeah on #2

20. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you tried the other settings to verify that you don't have a broken wire on the switch? I believe it defaults to the poor fuel setting if it is broken.